Super Mario Rpg

Mario RPG is incompatible with most emulators because it has a Super FX chip (a coprocessor that matches the CPU of the SNES). Emulators that aim at speed (PocketSNES, SquidgeSNES) don't emulate it because it complicates emulation and slows it down. So try it with NkSNES and see if you can make it playable.

well you can take solace in the fact that it's a pretty boring game :D

except for the suprise "killing spree" ending

rokdcasbah said:
well you can take solace in the fact that it's a pretty boring game :D

except for the suprise "killing spree" ending
That game is awesome but I still don't take solace cause emulators don't seem to want to run any game with this super chip especially KIRBY GAMES!!!!!!!!! <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, are you telling me no one's worked at making this masterpiece playable on our sweet little darling GP2X?

LegendaryMachine said:
Wait, are you telling me no one's worked at making this masterpiece playable on our sweet little darling GP2X?
No idea but thats what I'm trying to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're trying nk's emu and it's not working then i guess it doesn't. but why would it say it (kinda) works in the wiki?

anyway it's a lot of work to support the special hardware for not a lot of return (only getting a few extra games, and ones that will run slowly because of the extra overhead). not saying i wouldn't mind seeing super kirby on 2x but i can completely understand why no one's working on that.

the only way it could possibly be done (and this has a very low percent of working) is to rewrite an entire emulator in assembly to take advantage of everything the gp2x has to offer.

if you can get full snes emulation at a low clockspeed (maybe 150) MAYBE (big maybe.) you could get just enough power to do it at 250mhz... without sound. That's of course a huge possibility, and I'm not taking in effect if either of the main emus have asm cores or anything, nor am i taking in menu, or the overhead that causes.

i'd followed the gba snes emulator (snesadvance) for awhile, flubba is an epic champion of coding that deserves fanfare and trumpets announcing his arrival. and he stated that even though the gba has very similar hardware as the snes and due to that many games were at a playable speed (with speedhacks), the SA-1 chip or any of the custom chips, superfx, C1, C2, C3, SA-1, etc bar none, would bring emulation to a crawl. crawl meaning 1fps.

this was a dedicated gaming machine with hardware designed 80% the same as the snes. the gp2x runs completely different graphically, and soundwise, i cant even tell you what its doing different. I wonder if flubba would support us if we gave him a gp2x, and everything he needed to get started.....

Back