Super Mario War

Morph posted on Sep 19 2004 at 11:14 PM said:
Well, I finally decided to join these boards. I dont have a GP32, but I might get one, so I thought I would help out.

no_skill, you might have been shooting too high, trying to port SUPER Mario War first. My suggestion is, try the first one first, then work up from there. ;)

I still would like to see this done, so I will supply the long lost source code to the Beta of Samuele Poletto's original Mario War.

Have fun! ;)

Mario War 1.0 source code

i wonder where you got the mw source from.

Last edited by a moderator:
no_skill posted on Sep 20 2004 at 01:35 PM said:
i wonder where you got the mw source from.

Hmm... when I look at the comments at the beginning of the source code, it looks like the author decided to release it for learning purposes though it has nothing to do with the rewritten Mario War.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. I neither mean to question or put down no_skill's abilities. I simply figured that to make SUPER Mario War run at full speed on a typical 166mhz GP32 would be pretty hard, considering that Quake I only requires 90mhz, but the lack of an FPU drags it down. I thought that giving the means to port a MUCH older game of the same ilk would make it easier to run on the GP32's less than, shall we say, "ideal" capabilities.

Once again, all I meant to do was help, so please dont jump all over me. :(

P.S. Samuele posted the source code for the Mario War beta on his site about a month before it closed shop. I didnt have the insight to get it then, but, then again, thats what Web Archive is for. :p

I simply figured that to make SUPER Mario War run at full speed on a typical 166mhz GP32 would be pretty hard, considering that Quake I only requires 90mhz, but the lack of an FPU drags it down
I can't think of any real reason why SMW on the gp32 would need any more than 66mhz, and why are you comparing a single screen jump n run type game to a complex 3d engine :blink:

woogal posted on Sep 23 2004 at 09:34 AM said:
I simply figured that to make SUPER Mario War run at full speed on a typical 166mhz GP32 would be pretty hard, considering that Quake I only requires 90mhz, but the lack of an FPU drags it down
I can't think of any real reason why SMW on the gp32 would need any more than 66mhz, and why are you comparing a single screen jump n run type game to a complex 3d engine :blink:

dito

well,my older computer is a 350mhz, with an ok video card. It runs slow as molasses. So, In my humble judgement,I simply thought that is would be difficult to emulate on the GP32 considering it lacks a PC's video card, and an FPU.

But then again, that shows how much I know. Oh well, this is what happens to me when I try to help. I guess, just ignore everything I have said.

Morph posted on Sep 23 2004 at 06:54 PM said:
well,my older computer is a 350mhz, with an ok video card. It runs slow as molasses. So, In my humble judgement,I simply thought that is would be difficult to emulate on the GP32 considering it lacks a PC's video card, and an FPU.

But then again, that shows how much I know. Oh well, this is what happens to me when I try to help. I guess, just ignore everything I have said.

You only need to emulate if you try to run programs for a different systems on your GP32.
If you RECODE it or PORT it, you don't have such a speed decrease.

It should be possible without any problems to get such a simple game running.

BTW: You also can't compare 350mhz x86 with 350mhz ARM. Mhz is not Mhz

Last edited:
Well, I apologize for incorrect spelling. My computer is a 350Mhz AMD K-6 2 with 384 megs of RAM. It still doesnt sovle the whole "uber-lag" problem on my PC. So, I SIMPLY thought that due to it lagging on a 350Mhz PC, I figured it would lag on a GP32.

So once again, Im sorry for being a newb.

yeah ok well my comp is messing with me so i cant get to te super mario war sight and i was wondering if anybody could explain what it is like cuase its really pissing me off that i cant get to hat freaking site AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :angry:

Morph posted on Sep 25 2004 at 12:13 AM said:
Well at I apologize for incorrect spelling. My computer is a 350Mhz AMD K-6 2 with 384 megs of RAM. It still doesnt sovle the whole "uber-lag" problem on my PC. So, I SIMPLY thought that due to it lagging on a 350Mhz PC, I figured it would lag on a GP32.

So once again, Im sorry for being a newb.

Out of interest, what version of Windows are you using?

With 98 and less, iirc, anything more than 256mb ram causes dreadful lag anyway. I wouldn't ask but that you say its 350MHz which implies a little old...

Im using friggin Windows ME, simply because my Hard Drive is too small to upgrade.

why do you sue fanzy stuff on a old pc, that slows down. winm/2k/xp is overkill for that pc. use a nice small linux, win98 (the ram limit is 512 not 256), or the lite version from http://www.litepc.com/ and uninstall all the stuff you dont need and kill evrything from autostart you dont need allways, also look for resource frendly programms, it dont have to be 3x ie and wmplayer, try a lite netscape/ opera/firefox (with evrything dissabled ofcourse), and do a complete format before reinstalling, and defragment after you have all stuff on you need, should give you a serious speed boost

Back