Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 2 released

Hmm, it seems neither 3.2.1 nor 2.6.27.57 are charging over usb.

The new kernel (3.2.1) doesn't seem to be able to charge over usb.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of androidstuff is merged with 3.3 could help a lot with mobile devices. Also support for the dsp out of the box.
That android stuff looks to me mostly returning what was removed around 2.6.33 time, perhaps useful but not too exciting. Could be merged on 3.2 without too many problems.

Not sure what DSP you have in mind, if it's that C6X support then running Linux on DSP won't give you anything useful, you have to run TI's firmware+codecs on it for it to decode videos.

How easy will it be to apply the tweaks being made to 3.2 for the Pandora, to 3.3
It's possible but not worth it. They keep reworking parts of OMAP support and things break, last time I tried 3.3 I couldn't get suspend to work. The OMAP kernel community is too small and there are almost no testers, things just keep breaking on each new kernel release.

That android stuff looks to me mostly returning what was removed around 2.6.33 time, perhaps useful but not too exciting. Could be merged on 3.2 without too many problems.
Not sure what DSP you have in mind, if it's that C6X support then running Linux on DSP won't give you anything useful, you have to run TI's firmware+codecs on it for it to decode videos.
Beside what have been documented here, android use many feature google have added to the kernel, like some security stuff (that allow per apps acces to the hardware, etc...) and a few other things.

So basically you're telling that these hyped android patches to the mainline kernel tree are not these :( that's a shame. That would have helped the project Exo was suggesting in that thread :(

Well I suppose it should help, for example that ashmem thing that has been readded is needed for Dalvik IIRC, but I'm not sure how complete this is and it's certainly not new, i.e. has already been in mainline kernel but later removed, and now readded again.

I forget what people brought up in beta1, so I'll rhyme a few things off :)

experimental kernel (3.2.x whatever)

- I have occasional (not yet determined why) times when shutdown hangs when psplash is at last bit (the progress bar is complete)

firmware:

- codec pack mostly installs, but gstreamer might be having a problem; we may need to refresh codec pack (which is from may 2010.)

tv-out:

- anyone know if it works on experimental kernel, or known not to? I was using a hacked up cable so hard to tell, my real cable is at home and I'm not, right now :)

jeff

Thanks Skeezix,

It seems, 'Y' option is back for documentation. Where's Thunar? are there other apps I'm missing in minimenu?

I forget what people brought up in beta1, so I'll rhyme a few things off :)

experimental kernel (3.2.x whatever)

- I have occasional (not yet determined why) times when shutdown hangs when psplash is at last bit (the progress bar is complete)

firmware:

- codec pack mostly installs, but gstreamer might be having a problem; we may need to refresh codec pack (which is from may 2010.)

tv-out:

- anyone know if it works on experimental kernel, or known not to? I was using a hacked up cable so hard to tell, my real cable is at home and I'm not, right now :)

jeff

Thanks Skeezix,

It seems, 'Y' option is back for documentation. Where's Thunar? are there other apps I'm missing in minimenu?

Dunno, whats apps are you missing? ;)

Thunar is the file manager used in xfce; was it published as a pnd icon for mmenu before? is it now? (I don't use file managers much, I do it all from the shell usually ;)

No apps should be missing .. should be same as before. Possibly something is going to different categories, so check "All" tab (if you have it enabled, I think it defaults to on) just to be sure. mmenu also has a basic directory browser for launching apps from willy nilly, but it doesn't currently have copy/move/delete/etc type functionality. (Directory browser tabs are disabled by default.)

jeff

Yes skeezix, you used to be able to run thunar from minimenu. Then in early HF7 testing (I think), I reported it took a very long time when exiting to come back to mini menu. Since then in later HF7 and now Super Zaxxon, it disappeared from minimenu all together. Yes I can run from terminal or XFCE and it seems fine I just wondered why it left and if they're were other built in apps that used to have minimenu icons that disappeared.

I assume its just a desktop file or something missing somewhere right?

Thanks notaz & others: I very much welcome these mayor improvements of power saving! (Only reading, no time for testing myself)

I would welcome if some issues in the tracker & infos in the wiki get reviewed and updated accordingly from people with the necessary knowledge. Thanks!

Well thanks for the feedback, always nice to get a PowerUser confirm if new things are relevant to the pandora. Thanks for your hard work guys.

As far as I understood, the old low-power-mode is basically active all the time if you don't do anything (and switch display/radio off). The battery at least lasts as long as before in low power when idle, even though it might technically be a difference ;)

There's certainly a script somewhere that shutdown the screen, put mHz to 125, etc...

I browsed so much the rootfs last monthes, i'm a bit confuse about where i can find it ^^.

Yes, the script switched off the radios, display (and probably USB), lowered the frequency and maybe some more tweaks? But as I understood (i might be mistaken) the current 3.2 power management handles the powersaving much better anyways so there probably won't be any advantage of lowering the MHz to reach the low power state if your not using the system anyway. So the only use would be a button that kills the radios and USB and switches off the screen...The latter is already done if you allow the system to switch it off while idle. A kill all-Button is an easy shellscript.

I guess the lowpower-script is located in /usr/pandora/scripts but I did not look it up.

dsleaf -- oh, I get you.

I wonder if some included pnds got left out; ie: mmenu wouldn't have had any special logic to pick up on thunar, so ED probably just made a little wrapper pnd that invokved it; maybe since we switched mmenu to use .desktop (by default) instead of pnd-files (since pnd files get turned into .desktop by pndnotifyd anyway), maybe ED removed some of the bundled wrapper pnd-files? lemme ask him, or check the recipe :)

Or maybe something else..

jeff

I hope the development goal is to get standby working with active PNDs, otherwise the standby function is pretty useless.

I guess you understand why. If not, here is my user-centric reasoning.

The advantages of standby from a user-centric viewpoint:

1. Quick way for pausing/resuming operation
  2. Pause/resume your custom state (your running apps & docs)
  3. Most power efficient mode (which allows advantage nr 1 + 2)

Without the possibility of standby with active PNDs, the user:

1. has to spend time quitting all PND apps & saving all unsaved documents, this ain't quick anymore,
  2. does not have his/her custom state (2) anymore, basically leaves the OS in a state similar as after booting (up and ready)
  3. with the disadvantage of consuming still some power.

So without benefit 1+2, you'd be better off to just shut down the device and restart it at a later time.

I agree it would be nice if it worked with PNDs mounted, but unfortunately I don't think this is ever going to work due to technical issues.

Back