Support The Team And The Production!

fusion_power said:
WizardStan said:
And lose that Linux thing, it's got bad connotations; we've heard a lot of great things about this Android doodad." :p
"Yay! And Android even has Viruses now! Never trust a OS without Viruses!" :lol:

*cough*

Linux has viruses too

*cough*

I didn't say anything. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ed i remember distintcly craig talking a bout the possibility of many of us becoming mini investors.He said this is something we could look into after christmas.This is a fantastic idea,in my opinion.
Yes a paypal link is a must i would donate when i start working again for sure.All of your ideas are great.
The t-shirts/merchandising is a good too to make some money.Do the tshirt thing and put a link on the app store and on the main page.This mini investors idea warrants proper discussion in my opinion.We could all ensure the pandoras success in this manner. :)

I would definitely buy a few shirts and suchlike, if they were available - and I chuckled at the idea for a slogan to put on them, I must admit. :p I'd be even happier if I could get long-sleeved t-shirts - you don't see those with logos very often!

I'm trying to figure out what else I can contribute. I'm not a coder, after all - the machine I work with the most is my sewing machine. :lol: (Outside of perhaps being able to contribute my abilities to some sort of feelies for a special edition game or something like that someday, I don't think that can help anyone here. :p )

Prometheus said:
I would definitely buy a few shirts and suchlike, if they were available - and I chuckled at the idea for a slogan to put on them, I must admit. :p I'd be even happier if I could get long-sleeved t-shirts - you don't see those with logos very often!

I'm trying to figure out what else I can contribute. I'm not a coder, after all - the machine I work with the most is my sewing machine. :lol: (Outside of perhaps being able to contribute my abilities to some sort of feelies for a special edition game or something like that someday, I don't think that can help anyone here. :p )

An.

Ed.

Plushie.

DO IT. :D

SomeGuy99 said:
Prometheus said:

An.

Ed.

Plushie.

DO IT. :D
+1

I will say right now, if the OPT people make Pandora themed clothes or mugs or what ever, I will buy them.

I want Tee-shirts with Pandora images. Just like I enjoy having C64 tee-shirts. I am NERD =-p

Many good ideas here :) ... I like the Banner and the T-shirts ideas. As many others i have several friends that would buy a pandora :) (but only when it will be available in a reasonable time ...).

Personally not really interested in the whole additional supporting thing. That doesn't mean I'm not supporting the creation of the Pandora. I have bought one 2 years ago and imho by not canceling and not complaining a lot I consider myself to be pretty supportive. Also plan on donating to some devs.. Notaz probably first for his amazing work on Ginge.

Investing in some kind of shareholder construction might be interesting though...

im still waiting for confirmation on community shareholder options, i am more then willing the invest a few grand into this project if making the money back is a possibility, but as far as donating just for the hell of it, i dunno, maybe to some of the devs if i like their work more then too much. and i could also see myself in a pandora shirt, if nicely designed that is

EvilDragon said:
Oh, no problem. We don't want to grab more money from you guys - the above things were just some suggestions, as people were asking if and how they can support us (even by donating money).

We're not desperately seeking money right now, in case you're wondering. While it was an expensive ride for us, we're still doing fine :)

ED - It's good to hear I just got worried that you were needing to run a whist drive to get funds to keep the project going.
But as I said it's great to try and keep the community positive I don't think a big PR push is the right idea right now ;)

What's the chances of getting a 3rd party merch seller on a profit basis ala cafepress?

I just wanted to place a banner on my homepage when I realised you don't have any. Could anyone just send me some vector graphics version of the logo? Then, whenever I find the time I can render out a few standard sizes.

My e-mail address can be obtained by a process called research :) ED already has it anyway.

Thanks,
Matthias

economically, the pandora project difficult to support.

hardware wise, pandora is outdated, compared with current technology and prices. a hardware homebrew project will always be more expensive than a large scale one. add to this that nintendo and sony are releasing a new portable console every 2 years, and mobile phones have more gaming capabilities.

in my opinion the selling should be completed due to the fact the pandora hardware do not cover the cost:

- 1k pandoras in 3 years is not acceptable. production should be increased. use several assembly lines if neccesary (1 usa, 1 uk, 1 ger, 1 asia)

- software side: OS should be polished, easy use, easy to install/uninstall. better hardware compatibility (3D chip, BT headphones/mouse/keyb, gps, ps3 pad, etc). everything should work just out of the box AS IS.
There are tons of free linux games and software. Promote ports, specially good looking 3D games

- ecommerce web: with other hardware stuff, pandoras, sticks, soft cases, SD Cards, mini mouse etc. sell other hardware and accesories, not only pandoras. And users should be able to select colors, using sticks to change the skin etc

- this kind of projects rely on comunity. but results = number_geeks * effort_per_geek. with only 1k pandoras out there not much can be done. Let the comunity to participate, but they need pandoras!!! :)

chame said:
- 1k pandoras in 3 years is not acceptable. production should be increased. use several assembly lines if neccesary (1 usa, 1 uk, 1 ger, 1 asia)
You are correct, 1k in 2 years (it's not even been 2 years actually) is unacceptable, but what do you think they've been trying to do? They didn't make the decision to wait 19 months before finally sending out the first one, they've been seriously held up by inventory shortages. They've only shipped 1000 because they only had the parts for 1000, despite promises that more cases and boards would be arriving at ever increasing rates since May, none have actually come. This is not a problem that will be solved by having more people assemble since they have nothing to assemble. The only thing that will speed things along is for the suppliers to start shipping the parts that are needed.
Apparently the next few thousand cases are finally scheduled to be shipped for real (after weeks of being told they were in transit, mind) so they'll be able to assemble some more, but at this point in time OPT's hands are tied.

hi,

wouldn't it be better to use additional money to pay some developers on a regular base in order to optimize the operating system (kernel, gpu-support etc.) ?

I think investing in a polished OS is the best promotion as long as the production is delayed.

greetings

EvilDragon said:
Any other ideas of improvements of the main website, telling people (users and developers) what it is about and how to help?
Let us know here!

What about more languages ? I can translate it to french.

chame said:
hardware wise, pandora is outdated, compared with current technology and prices. a hardware homebrew project will always be more expensive than a large scale one. add to this that nintendo and sony are releasing a new portable console every 2 years <snip>
Not really... The Nintendo DS and Sony PlayStation Portable were released in 2004. There have been a few revisions of each, but they are more-or-less still the same hardware as they were in 2004, and run the same games as well. The release date of the Nintendo DS' successor is due to be announced at the end of this month, six years after the release of the Nintendo DS, and to my knowledge the Sony PlayStation Portable's successor has yet to be announced at all.

Or, to put it another way: Product revisions shouldn't be confused with new products. ;) You cannot say that the Pandora is outdated compared to machines that were launched six years ago, and which probably went into development a year or two before that.

headcrash said:
hi,

wouldn't it be better to use additional money to pay some developers on a regular base in order to optimize the operating system (kernel, gpu-support etc.) ?

I think investing in a polished OS is the best promotion as long as the production is delayed.

greetings

My thoughts precisely; I think this is the team's intention as well, with the suggestion of bounties for things like hardware acceleration. I think they just have a lot on their plate at the moment. I want to see the dev fund money used for these things.

Back