Surround sound possible?

Nardella

I was just playing Descent when I wondered:

Is it possible to have surround sound on the Pandora.

The Pandora has two speakers, a headphone out and an audio out on the ext port. Can these three things have different audio going to them?

Perhaps with a surround sound capable USB device... I think the audio out from the ext port is just the same as the audio jack / speakers

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the headphones are the speakers, but the ext port has line out which functions as a different output. With the right driver modification, it could theoretically be used for a 4 channel surround.

yeah, the headphones are the speakers, but the ext port has line out which functions as a different output. With the right driver modification, it could theoretically be used for a 4 channel surround.
I always come in late to correct the mistakes. :)

The line output (ext connector) is the preamplified output of the DAC (PCM1773 has high voltage line drive capability). Then it goes to the headphone amplifier which is also the speaker amplifier (speakers are 8 ohms which means the amp puts more power out when driving speakers versus headphones). It's all the same I2S interface and so the same signals.

The Bluetooth output is on a separate interface so it has different audio capability. Also, the TPS65950 has the capability to output audio through the USB OTG port if configured that way (I believe it is a kernel level change) so that is another audio output interface. Potentially you could have 5.1 by using all of these but not exactly practical. :)

Basically, I would say the answer to the OP's question is NO by hardware, sort of YES if some software algorithm was used to simulate the surround through headphones.

The line output (ext connector) is the preamplified output of the DAC (PCM1773 has high voltage line drive capability). Then it goes to the headphone amplifier which is also the speaker amplifier (speakers are 8 ohms which means the amp puts more power out when driving speakers versus headphones). It's all the same I2S interface and so the same signals.
Really? That's actually awesome! Not sure where I got the impression that the line out was a different subsystem, but I was a little worried that getting sound output to them was going to be a problem.

Which, now that I have ext connectors, I really could have tested for instead of worrying. My bad.

It would be possibe to send dolby pro-logic over 2 outputs don't know if descent would support this though.

Signal left different than right - left speaker only

Signal right different than left - right speaker only

Signal left and right the same and in phase - center speaker

Signal left and right the same but out of phase - rear speakers

and all audio information under 120Hz can go to sub :)

Voila, 4.1 over a stereo output :)

Unfortunately the rear speakers would always have the same information going to both of them

Back