Release Switch GUI: Openbox

Yup, reboot fixed that bit :)

Stil missing a few things, like resizing with left-trigger+right button.

Last edited by a moderator:
installed the latest; I have 2 small issues:

- after plugging in and recharging, the battery status applet dissapeared

- the background color is reset between logins (I am using transparant background)

Hi... I`m going to give this another try..

Is there any other way apart from copying another copy of the pnd to the desktop to show in the warlock bar?

This way I`ll have two copies of it sitting on my sdcard?

thanks

Also now when I close the lid the power light doesn't dim and it doesn't go into low power mode ( like it does in xfce? )

Is there any other way apart from copying another copy of the pnd to the desktop to show in the warlock bar?

thanks
You can do things the manual way by editing the wbar-custom.cfg file.

i = the path to the icon you want to use.

c = the path to the PND file you want to run, prefix it with pnd_run if it's a non firmware pnd e.g. deadbeef, if it's a firmware pnd that you want to run just type it's name e.g. mousepad, no path is needed.

t = the text that you want to display under the icon.

Also don't forget to restart Warlock Bar when you have made your changes.

Or alternatively you could put the PND that you want to show up on the bar in the pandora/apps folder, then it will show up on both the bar and in the programs menu simultaneously without you needing to have two copies of the file.

- the background color is reset between logins (I am using transparant background)
The applet disappears when it gets to 98%. You can change this by via "Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Tint2 Panel Wizard" -> "Battery" -> "Battery Hide"

How are you setting the background? Are you using Nitrogen? ("Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Set Background"). It's set up so that you choose a background with Nitrogen, and then that background is displayed at startup using 'hsetroot' (via the file $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/nitrogen-wallpaper - you may want to look at that file to see what it's doing, and maybe edit it directly so it does what you want it to hsetroot man page)

thanks
Yep - as Dougal said, a PND in pandora/apps will show up in both the menu and the warlock bar.

Also now when I close the lid the power light doesn't dim and it doesn't go into low power mode ( like it does in xfce? )
A lot of the Pandora's default scripts don't work correctly if XFCE isn't running, because they look at who owns the xfce-session process to get the current user. This isn't perhaps the best way of getting that information (it means they don't work with MiniMenu either). They're easy enough to change though - I'll look into it.

The applet disappears when it gets to 98%. You can change this by via "Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Tint2 Panel Wizard" -> "Battery" -> "Battery Hide"

How are you setting the background? Are you using Nitrogen? ("Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Set Background"). It's set up so that you choose a background with Nitrogen, and then that background is displayed at startup using 'hsetroot' (via the file $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/nitrogen-wallpaper - you may want to look at that file to see what it's doing, and maybe edit it directly so it does what you want it to hsetroot man page
ok; thanks! both are fixed now!!  I had to add a color option (-solid '#2a4a73') to the hsetroot command in the nitrogen-wallpaper file - maybe the gui doesn't handle the case of both image and color well..

How are you setting the background? Are you using Nitrogen? ("Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Set Background"). It's set up so that you choose a background with Nitrogen, and then that background is displayed at startup using 'hsetroot' (via the file $HOME/Applications/Settings/openbox/nitrogen-wallpaper - you may want to look at that file to see what it's doing, and maybe edit it directly so it does what you want it to hsetroot man page)

>Hi... I`m going to give this another try..

thanks
Yep - as Dougal said, a PND in pandora/apps will show up in both the menu and the warlock bar.

A lot of the Pandora's default scripts don't work correctly if XFCE isn't running, because they look at who owns the xfce-session process to get the current user. This isn't perhaps the best way of getting that information (it means they don't work with MiniMenu either). They're easy enough to change though - I'll look into it.
But putting them in Pandora/apps will show them on my desktop in XFCE won`t it? if and when I go back to that for any reason?

That said, now I've seen the lag myself, I can start working on a way to make it less noticeable.
Have you found a way yet? My guess is that it needs to parse that pipe menu each time it is selected, because it's not smart enough to know that if the file that is being "cat"-ed didn't change, the piped output will be the same.

If you can't find an easy way to make OpenBox keep the PND menu in memory (that is, until the menu file gets modified), then maybe a workaround would be to make the top-level PND menu contain only the top-level categories, and make each submenu a separate pipe menu. That way at least parsing the top-level menu would be fast (since it contains only a handful items), and while a big submenu (e.g. games) can still take a while to parse, at least you can quickly select something from, say, the "Education" submenu without having to wait for it to parse the entire "Games" menu.

Another thing that would improve perceived speed is to interrupt the parsing when an input event is received, so you can quickly "skip over" the PND menu if you just want to toggle wifi or something. (I do this now by pressing "up" to wrap around to avoid the lag, but that's a bit of an annoying workaround.) This is probably hard to implement though, and doesn't solve the lag when you do need the PND menu.

Yeah, now I've put loads of PNDs on my SD card, the menu lag is annoying me too.

I am working on fixing it - I'm changing it so when you choose "Programs", it just "cat's" a file which only lists the Main Categories, and then when you choose a category, it will then "cat" a file with the entries for that category. Because each file will only have one level of XML, rather than one big file with the entire XML tree in it, it should be able to display each menu very quickly, and you won't have to wait for it if all you want to do is choose 'connectivity' or something (pressing the Pandora key and then Up works, but it's a fudge ... )

It involves changing openbox-menu at the 'C' level, whereas most stuff I've done for this GUI is at the 'bash' or 'python' level. So I'm very close to getting it done, it's just taking me a bit longer to get my head around.

The other ways of solving the problem would involve tinkering with the Openbox binary itself, so I imagine it would be *way* more complex. Also, I didn't compile Openbox myself this time - I'm using the one that ED upped to openpandora.org/feeds.

But putting them in Pandora/apps will show them on my desktop in XFCE won`t it? if and when I go back to that for any reason?
Yes. If you don't want this, you'll have to do the other thing Dougal mentioned - manually creating an entry using "Root Menu" -> "Openbox Config" -> "Edit wbar-custom.cfg". If you look at /tmp/obcache/wbar.cfg, that shows you what's used to generate your current Warlock Bar, so it'll give you and idea of how to write a custom entry.

Me again,

Can someone try the new openbox-menu for me? It's a lot quicker.

Download the file and unzip, then do:

killall openbox-menu
./openbox-menu -p -o progmenu /etc/xdg/menus/openbox-pnd.menu &
exit
If it doesn't segfault or whatever, I'll clean up the code and update the PND.

Thanks.

EDIT: Attachments are now broken?

EDIT 2: How the hell does rapidshare work?

EDIT 3: link: http://www.mediafire.com/?jppu25f1xp887cv

thanks
You can do things the manual way by editing the wbar-custom.cfg file.

i = the path to the icon you want to use.

c = the path to the PND file you want to run, prefix it with pnd_run if it's a non firmware pnd e.g. deadbeef, if it's a firmware pnd that you want to run just type it's name e.g. mousepad, no path is needed.

t = the text that you want to display under the icon.

Also don't forget to restart Warlock Bar when you have made your changes.
This looks like a good idea..

So.. where would I find the icon location?

For instance.. Fuse. 

I`ve taken it out of Desktop.. and I want to edit the wbar.cfg 

I can point to the pnd fine.. where are the .png files ( except from within the pnd?

thanks

Darren

So.. where would I find the icon location?
/tmp/iconcache
Cheers Dougal :)

One last thing... do I have to do exactly like the config file... referencing the script inside the pnd? because how I have it, doesn`t work.

i: /tmp/iconcache/fuse.1.0.0.1a.png

c: /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/media/PAN1/pandora/menu/Emulators/fuse.pnd"

t: Fuse

In the  other config, on the C line is references the script inside the pnd etc...

Darren

Me again,

Can someone try the new openbox-menu for me? It's a lot quicker.

Download the file and unzip, then do:

killall openbox-menu
./openbox-menu -p -o progmenu /etc/xdg/menus/openbox-pnd.menu &
exit

If it doesn't segfault or whatever, I'll clean up the code and update the PND.
Strange, if I do that exactly like you say (with the "&" to put it in the background), it just seemingly does not do anything (I still have the old menu in /tmp/obcache). If I omit the ampersand however (or type "fg" after starting it with the ampersand), it works perfectly: /tmp/obcache/progmenu is now only 2224 bytes and it created 24 submenu files named 1 to 24.

Question: how does the menu get updated when new PNDs are detected? I'm assuming that you somehow send a signal to make the openbox-menu daemon re-create the menus? In that case, is it really necessary to use a daemon - can't you just call openbox-menu to create the menu once and then quit? (this would save a tiny bit of memory, probably not worth it but still)

Also, do you really need pipe menus? The content is mostly static, so can't you use regular file menus and signal openbox to reconfigure whenever it happens to change?

c: /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/media/PAN1/pandora/menu/Emulators/fuse.pnd"

Change it to

c: pnd_run /media/PAN1/pandora/menu/Emulators/fuse.pnd

then try running it again.

Change it to

c: pnd_run /media/PAN1/pandora/menu/Emulators/fuse.pnd

then try running it again.
Hmmm same thing... the little icon depresses but no action..

EDIT: removed the .sh from pnd_run ;)  cheers Dougal :)  

thanks so much :)

Back