Release Switch GUI: Openbox

I am very impressed with the OpenBox package and have switched over to it full-time. But I have one question: how can I make a button for the warlock bar that opens only the connectivity menu? I've been through the openbox wiki, the openpandora wiki and the forums with no luck so far.

Thanks for the info... It's what I tried but everytime I reload the wbar, it undo the changes I've done to the file. :(

Any ideas?
When you reload the warlock bar, it creates a config file by reading the .desktop files in $HOME/Desktop. Therefore, any changes you make need to be to PPSSPP's .desktop file. I'm guessing that the reason that you have the '--f' part is because you've created a file association between PSP images and PPSSPP, maybe? If so, you might have to live without it (otherwise, maybe have a look at the reloadwbar function in /usr/bin/openbox-funtions - it's just a text file - and see if you can change it to not pick up the '--f' part).

Freamon: Hi..

Any news on the low power settings ??

Darren
 Maybe try running the openbox installer again (you'll need to switch to minimenu or xfce first) - that'll overwrite the relevant files. If that doesn't work, then unfortunately it looks like it's something you'll have to debug yourself, as it seems like something that works for everyone else (I'm assuming this because it works for me, and no-one else has complained about it, admittedly).

I am very impressed with the OpenBox package and have switched over to it full-time. But I have one question: how can I make a button for the warlock bar that opens only the connectivity menu? I've been through the openbox wiki, the openpandora wiki and the forums with no luck so far.
You can't, not easily at least. The connectivity menu is a submenu of the root menu - you can't call a submenu on it's own, or have more than one root menu. You could have a bunch of icons in the warlock bar, one to turn the wifi on (which would call /usr/bin/openbox-functions wifi_ON) and one to turn if off (which would call /usr/bin/openbox-functions wifi_OFF). Or you could have one icon just to toggle between states (which would call /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh). If you wanted a little menu to pop up though, I think you'd have to write your own application.

I'm using OpenBox since a while now, with the default settings and a bit a personal settings.

I'm currently asking myself how to make the default key bindings better, they're quite qood at the moment but there are few combinations that miss me like the Control+Shit+Left/Right/Up/Down to quickly select text.

There is also the 2 desktops, most of the time I use only 1 desktop, OpenBox is so fast to switch between windows so I disable all the desktop related keybindings, that allow me to enable the Control+Shit+Left/right/up/down to quickly select text.

Is there a real advantage of using 2 desktops when you can easily manage your windows ?

I also disable decoration for common applications like lxterminal and thunar to take advantage of all the screen.

Please describes your personal settings, I'm curious to know others cool tips.

^ My installation's still pretty much standard apart from my warlock bar (changed icon text), and i've changed the wallpaper and so on.

also lol @ shit button

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing codecs doesn't fix the system menu problem for me. Was I supposed to uninstall the codecs as well? I'm not too thrilled with that idea.

Removing codecs doesn't fix the system menu problem for me. Was I supposed to uninstall the codecs as well? I'm not too thrilled with that idea.
Install the codecs. Then remove the PND you used to create them, leaving the codecs installed. It's the presence of the codecs-installer that breaks openbox.

D.

Also, Could the 'shutdown' option be changed to open a window for either shutdown, logout, lock or cancel?

Any chance of putting SD mass storage in the root menu?
Yeah - I'll add more updates to this (I was testing out a taskbar for Askurus the other day), but I really want to get to the bottom of the system menu bug first.
Freamon,

I like OB much better than XFCE. However, it is a bit of a pain to use with the displaylink adapter as there is no logout. I looked at the links with scripts in the thread, but they look pretty heavy in terms of dependencies. Any more thought to adding a logout option to OB? Thanks.

To add a logout option:

Root Menu -> Openbox Config -> Edit menu.xml

Add these lines somewhere convenient (above the Switch GUI item, for example):

<item label="Logout">
<action name="Exit">
<prompt>yes</prompt>
</action>
</item>
Save and exit.
Root Menu -> Openbox Config -> Reconfigure

That'll put you back to the login screen when you choose it (I assume that's what you want ... I don't have a displaylink adapter)

:)

Hey freamon! Want to thank you for your porting Openbox and supporting the users here. Ive never been anOpenbox user, but Iinstalled it on my Panda, and honestly, I dont think Im going back to XFCE. This experience is just too good.

I think youve packaged just the right of stuff to make the new user experience enjoyable. Great job

Freamon,

Thanks. The Logout option seems to work, but I would rather have it as a Power Off option. Where do I put it? Thanks.

Open a terminal and type "sudo mousepad /usr/bin/openbox-functions", and find 'function shutdownmenu' (line 433).

The entry's pretty much the same, but - because it's part of a pipe menu - you need for it to be created dynamically by "echo"-ing it and escaping the quote marks. Therefore, your extra logout entry needs to look like:

Code:
echo "<item label=\"Logout\">"
    echo "<action name=\"Exit\">"
        echo "<prompt>yes</prompt>"
    echo "</action>"
echo "</item>"
It'll show up in the poweroff submenu once you save that file (there's no need to reconfigure).

In case anyone's interested, here's my tint2 config, designed to maximise vertical desktop space:

Code:
# Tint2 config file
# Generated by tintwizard (http://code.google.com/p/tintwizard/)
# For information on manually configuring tint2 see http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure

# Background definitions
# ID 1
rounded = 3
border_width = 0
background_color = #FFFFFF 100
border_color = #FFFFFF 0

# ID 2
rounded = 0
border_width = 0
background_color = #FFFFFF 100
border_color = #FF0000 100

# ID 3
rounded = 0
border_width = 1
background_color = #4A4A4A 0
border_color = #000000 0

# Panel
panel_monitor = all
panel_items = LSBT
panel_position = top left vertical
panel_size = 100% 48
panel_margin = 0 0
panel_padding = 1 1 0
panel_dock = 0
wm_menu = 1
panel_layer = normal
panel_background_id = 3

# Panel Autohide
autohide = 0
autohide_show_timeout = 0
autohide_hide_timeout = 0
autohide_height = 1
strut_policy = follow_size

# Taskbar
taskbar_mode = single_desktop
taskbar_padding = 3 0 5
taskbar_background_id = 0
taskbar_active_background_id = 0

# Tasks
urgent_nb_of_blink = 15
task_icon = 1
task_text = 0
task_centered = 0
task_maximum_size = 140 36
task_padding = 6 2
task_background_id = 1
task_active_background_id = 1
task_urgent_background_id = 1
task_iconified_background_id = 3

# Task Icons
task_icon_asb = 70 -100 -25
task_active_icon_asb = 100 15 10
task_urgent_icon_asb = 100 -50 0
task_iconified_icon_asb = 70 -100 -20

# Fonts
task_font = sans 7
task_font_color = #FFFFFF 60
task_active_font_color = #FFFFFF 80
task_urgent_font_color = #FFFFFF 80
task_iconified_font_color = #FFFFFF 60
font_shadow = 0

# System Tray
systray = 1
systray_padding = 3 4 5
systray_sort = ascending
systray_background_id = 3
systray_icon_size = 30
systray_icon_asb = 70 20 20

# Tooltips
tooltip = 0
tooltip_padding = 2 2
tooltip_show_timeout = 0.7
tooltip_hide_timeout = 0.3
tooltip_background_id = 1
tooltip_font = sans 10
tooltip_font_color = #000000 80

# Mouse
mouse_middle = none
mouse_right = maximize_restore
mouse_scroll_up = none
mouse_scroll_down = none

# Battery
battery = 1
battery_low_status = 5
battery_low_cmd = notify-send "Battery low"
battery_hide = 95
bat1_font = Sans 11
bat2_font = Sans 8
battery_font_color = #000000 100
battery_padding = 4 4
battery_background_id = 1

# Launchers
launcher_icon_theme = LinuxLex-8
launcher_padding = 2 2 10
launcher_background_id = 3
launcher_icon_size = 28
launcher_item_app_1 = /home/USERNAME/Mount-Menu.desktop

# End of config

In case anyone's interested, here's my tint2 config, designed to maximise vertical desktop space:
I don't really want to hose my current config. Is there a way to save that to a file and load it to try it out?

Yup, you can copy it in/out of the righthandmost tab in the tint2 config wizard; "View Config".

Done. Wow, that is pretty minimal. Not sure I am wild about it, but I will try it for awhile.

Also nice would be a window manager tweaked to show everything in borderless fullscreen
This is straightforward enough to do with Openbox. At the end of rc.xml, in the <applications> block, add

<application name="*">
<decor>no</decor>
<maximized>true</maximized>
</application>
Some other helpful tricks are to add nm-applet and ABMouse to autostart

Been super impressed with OpenBox - just seems to make my desktop experience that much better and more productive. One question though - in autostart, I can only get one pnd to run at startup. Is there a way around this?

Back