Symbian

CoLDSToRAGE

Still Fresh
Website
www.coldstorage.org.uk
Given that I grew up on a diet of Psion handheld machines, I was wondering if Pandora would happily run Symbian?

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/03/26/symbian-95-supports-the-new-arm-cortex-a8-processor.html

It seems in theory it might...

( Yes, to some I must seem mad asking this question! ) ;OP

This has come up before, first here, then here. The main conclusion seems to be that it's possible, but needs an interested developer to make it work. The second conclusion seems to be "eww, Symbian; good luck finding a developer who wants to port THAT".

I dunno, I've never used it; I cast no judgements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it would be too hard. Symbian^3 - the first completely open source release, and basis for most new Symbian phones now - provides baseports for the TI Zoom II and Beagleboard, which have fairly similar hardware specs to Pandora (identical OMAP, in Beagleboard's case). You can simply download them and build them yourself, ending up with complete, functional Symbian systems for those devices, which would be fairly easily tailored to Pandora I'd have thought.

Quite why you'd want Symbian on Pandora is a different matter though. Perhaps you're interested in:

• studying a proper, modern embedded OS that's designed for OOP and hard real time from the ground up ;)
  • doing some device-based Qt development, that's portable between Symbian/Linux/WinMo based devices.
  • making a Pandoraphone. The Symbian Beagleboard baseport is interesting in that respect, as it's the basis of the Wild Ducks Project, in which a bunch of Symbian Foundation/Nokia engineers are making a Beagleboard/Symbian based phone for "fun", using Beagleboard's RS232 port to connect to a standard UMTS modem module, just like Pandora could.
  • running some of the Symbian software that's out there, which would let your Pandoraphone still play games, browse the web, play media, do maps, etc.
  • because it's there.
Just some thoughts.

Back