Synergy

Neelix

Insecticidal Maniac
I just successfully installed Synergy to nand using opkg. I love this program, it lets me share the mouse, keyboard and clipboard via the network. For example I am currently using my netbook keyboard to type this message directly on the Pandora. When I added the link in the first line I copied the address from my browser on the netbook and then pasted it into the insert link dialog box on the Pandora.

Sorry folks... nothing really to see here, I just had to share my glee at getting this working so easily. :D

huh... How bizarre... I mentioned in an earlier post that I couldn't get the Del key working on the Pandora. I assumed at the time that it was a keyboard mapping error, but Synergy automatically translates the keyboard mapping and the Del key isn't working from this keyboard either...

I just successfully installed Synergy to nand using opkg. I love this program, it lets me share the mouse, keyboard and clipboard via the network. For example I am currently using my netbook keyboard to type this message directly on the Pandora. When I added the link in the first line I copied the address from my browser on the netbook and then pasted it into the insert link dialog box on the Pandora.

Sorry folks... nothing really to see here, I just had to share my glee at getting this working so easily. :D

huh... How bizarre... I mentioned in an earlier post that I couldn't get the Del key working on the Pandora. I assumed at the time that it was a keyboard mapping error, but Synergy automatically translates the keyboard mapping and the Del key isn't working from this keyboard either...
There is a PND of it http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56943-synergy-clientserver-as-pnd/page__view__findpost__p__935121

which works

note: I didnt make the PND I just replaced a dead link

Last edited by a moderator:
So I went ahead and replaced my NAND install of synergy with the PND as noted above...

First thing I noticed was that the run script wanted me to create a server config file, before it would let me even run the client. So I rearranged the run script a bit and saved my version to the appdata folder. That was enough to get me going, but what I really wanted was QuickSynergy, which I was not able to find in the repos.

It took a bit of work, but I managed to successfully compile QuickSynergy on the Pandora. I then spent some time working out how to make it work without having Synergy installed to the NAND and re-working Lomaxx's run script to make use of it. :)

Once I was somewhat happy with the results I PNDed it up. Having done all that I was hoping a few people could test my new PND, I'd appreciate any feedback. My revised PND can be found here.

EDIT: I have just replaced this file, I've modified the run script again, and this time I used squashfs via PNDbuilder.

So other than the additon of QuickSynergy what has changed?

1. The server config script is now kept in the appdata/synergy directory. (Lomaxx's version needed it to be stored in the home directory in the NAND)
  2. You can load QuickSynergy or Synergy in Client mode without first creating a server config file.
  3. If you have started a server using QuickSynergy then you can adopt the resulting server config file and use it with the run scripts server mode.

So the old modes are there, but I personally recommend just using QuickSynergy as the interface.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me what package I need to install to get mkisofs on the pandora under Angstrom? that was the only part of the process I had to do on my netbook.

You can get mkisofs from the cdrkit package. But I see no reason to use an isofs over a squashfs; as far as I know, they provide the same features, except that squashsfs is compressed. Instead of using mkisofs, just use mksquashfs; I believe it's even included on the NAND by default.

So I went ahead and replaced my NAND install of synergy with the PND as noted above...

First thing I noticed was that the run script wanted me to create a server config file, before it would let me even run the client. So I rearranged the run script a bit and saved my version to the appdata folder. That was enough to get me going, but what I really wanted was QuickSynergy, which I was not able to find in the repos.

It took a bit of work, but I managed to successfully compile QuickSynergy on the Pandora. I then spent some time working out how to make it work without having Synergy installed to the NAND and re-working Lomaxx's run script to make use of it.
smile.gif

Once I was somewhat happy with the results I PNDed it up. Having done all that I was hoping a few people could test my new PND, I'd appreciate any feedback. My revised PND can be found here.

Do you have any interest in updating this ? The pnd itself is working fine, but current Win/Linux clients complaining about an outdated counterpart.

Back