Task Switching

funk

Still Fresh
just checked out the new video EvilDragon put up and was thinking the running tasks "folder" thing looked a bit awkward as a way of switching tasks. it's nice to have a task manager type thing I suppose, but switching between programs could be handled in a simpler way, something similar to (Alt)+(Tab) in windows, but using the pandora's gaming controls. not sure what the key layout of the pandora looks like, but we've got those L and R shoulder type buttons, something like a (Fn)+(L or R) to switch tasks seems like it'd be quick and painless. just a thought.

also thanks for the vid EvilDragon, nice to see stuff running well on the pandora and wow that screen looks beautiful

funk said:
just checked out the new video EvilDragon put up and was thinking the running tasks "folder" thing looked a bit awkward as a way of switching tasks. it's nice to have a task manager type thing I suppose, but switching between programs could be handled in a simpler way, something similar to (Alt)+(Tab) in windows, but using the pandora's gaming controls. not sure what the key layout of the pandora looks like, but we've got those L and R shoulder type buttons, something like a (Fn)+(L or R) to switch tasks seems like it'd be quick and painless. just a thought.

also thanks for the vid EvilDragon, nice to see stuff running well on the pandora and wow that screen looks beautiful

Alt-tab works ok on the Angstrom image I have running on my BeagleBoard (using enlightenment). I have a feeling it'll also work on Pandora. Then again, I'm unfamiliar with Matchbox. If it does work, you can map the alt and tab keys to anything on the keyboard, or (I believe) to the gaming controls, as well. So R1+tab or R1+up (on the d-pad) could switch between tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can probably also change key-bindings from the default so that you don't need to map the action buttons and shoulders to match alt+tab.

funk said:
just checked out the new video EvilDragon put up and was thinking the running tasks "folder" thing looked a bit awkward as a way of switching tasks. it's nice to have a task manager type thing I suppose, but switching between programs could be handled in a simpler way, something similar to (Alt)+(Tab) in windows, but using
He couldn't use Alt+Tab as he doesn't yet have a keyboard, hence using the touchscreen to do the same job :)

Additionally, clicking the title bar at the top presents a list of running tasks. While taking 2 clicks to switch tasks is a bit slower than on most implementations, it's not that bad on a handheld.

There will be a title bar for the desktop manager.

Additionally, we will probably be mapping the task switching key to the 'Pandora key'. Easy as pie. :)

Squidge said:
funk said:
just checked out the new video EvilDragon put up and was thinking the running tasks "folder" thing looked a bit awkward as a way of switching tasks. it's nice to have a task manager type thing I suppose, but switching between programs could be handled in a simpler way, something similar to (Alt)+(Tab) in windows, but using
He couldn't use Alt+Tab as he doesn't yet have a keyboard, hence using the touchscreen to do the same job :)
Does the USB keyboard work?

nubie said:
Squidge said:
funk said:
Does the USB keyboard work?

Should, as well as a mouse. Just didn't have it with me.
Though I think I'm gonna do the next videos with mouse and USB keyboard, as this is more easy to use (and film) :D

Last edited:
Back