Release [Teaser] The Bestest Game Ever

Any chance you could remove c4a or make it optional? I started the PND for the first time, and the hiscore is 55! The Android version keeps track of my high score, not some unatainable (for me) mega score. I don't have a c4a login, so I'd be very happy not to see any c4a in my games thanks.

Unless that 55 is built in for some reason? Either way, same applies - as I'm unlikely to ever beat it, I can't keep track of what my real high score is.

Also, missing pixels from the pipes and some shimmering during screen updates make this not as smooth as it could be. VSync needed?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could remove c4a or make it optional? I started the PND for the first time, and the hiscore is 55! The Android version keeps track of my high score, not some unatainable (for me) mega score. I don't have a c4a login, so I'd be very happy not to see any c4a in my games thanks.
Its a problem with the last build, I just uploaded a new build to remove that high score. Please update :) C4A is optiona by the way and the highest score now is 161, not 55 :p

Also, missing pixels from the pipes and some shimmering during screen updates make this not as smooth as it could be. VSync needed?
Not sure if I can implement vsync in pygame. Will see. 

Not sure if I can implement vsync in pygame. Will see. 

Not sure if it's the same thing but it seems that you can get rid of the screen tearing by enabling the double buffering the way you have done and enabling notaz's SDL (put "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss" in the start script).

161? That sounds like cheating to me :)
No cheating. Just way too much time spent playing this.

By the way, I started working on a similar game a few weeks ago. It's a clone of SFCave (or maybe a clone of a clone since I haven't played the original). Maybe I should try to finish that sometime. (Don't get your hopes up though. It will probably suck even if I manage to finish it)

I tried really hard the other day and 18 was the best I could do. Every time little birdy facelands in the dirt i'm getting one step closer to throwing my pandora against the wall. This is getting to dangerous, its not worth it :)

Not sure if it's the same thing but it seems that you can get rid of the screen tearing by enabling the double buffering the way you have done and enabling notaz's SDL (put "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss" in the start script).
Yeah, I tried that this morning earlier and it indeed seems to work better. Will implement that. 

No cheating. Just way too much time spent playing this.
That's certainly impressive - I regularly reach 40-50, but going beyond 60 is very hard for me. Any tips to reach 161 ? :)  

Added Pause function in-game.
 Pressing P crashes the game for me.

Error message below (might contain a spoiler)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "flappy.py", line 733, in <module>

main()

File "flappy.py", line 200, in main

crashInfo = mainGame(movementInfo)

File "flappy.py", line 479, in mainGame

SCREEN.blit(IMAGES['mario'], (eggx, eggy))

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'eggx' referenced before assignment

Any tips to reach 161 ?
Can't think of anything that's not really obvious. Just try to avoid mistakes and hope the level generator doesn't create a completely impossible situation.

Added Pause function in-game.

Pressing P crashes the game for me.

Error message below (might contain a spoiler)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "flappy.py", line 733, in <module>

main()

File "flappy.py", line 200, in main

crashInfo = mainGame(movementInfo)

File "flappy.py", line 479, in mainGame

SCREEN.blit(IMAGES['mario'], (eggx, eggy))

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'eggx' referenced before assignment
Any tips to reach 161 ?
Can't think of anything that's not really obvious. Just try to avoid mistakes and hope the level generator doesn't create a completely impossible situation.
Strange about the Pause bug. I tested it many times before releasing it and never had a bug on my side. Does it happen every single time you press P or only some times ?

New version the repo btw, fixing the upper pipe lighting issue. 

Strange about the Pause bug. I tested it many times before releasing it and never had a bug on my side. Does it happen every single time you press P or only some times ?
Just did a little more testing and it seems that this only happens in the beginning of the game before any pipes are visible. I was sure I had tested it after playing a little longer but apparently I had not.
Edit:

Ignore what I just said above. The game just crashed when I tried to pause the game even though I had gone past a few pipes already.

Ok I was able to reproduce and fix the bug related to blank screens before the pipes appear. Not sure if it fixes the other issue, though.

New version in the repo:

24th aug 2014: Build 11 / Fixed the Pause crash bug (hopefully)

Could you get the latest version and confirm if it still crashes for you ?

Back