Release [Teaser] The Bestest Game Ever

I would not play such a game if I get money for, I hate frustrating games. How about an "relax" mode with 3 or more lifes or a recharging energy bar that let you hit some pipes without instant dying? Something for people with a low frustration border... ^^""

Now the date's rolled over it seems to be doing it again (for me at least!) - game closes when the bird impacts anything every time, but the score does get registered online.

Here's the pndrun_flappybird.out -

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/menu/FlappyBird.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/appdata/flappybird

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/flappybird"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/appdata/flappybird=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/flappybird=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/flappybird"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

Couldnt load module lowpass

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub0" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub1" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 16 events (type 00000023)

omapsdl: found 4 evdev device(s).

omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1

fbdev: switching to 800x480@16

fbdev: /dev/fb1: 800x480@16

fbdev initialized.

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

omapsdl: dropping unhandled flags: 10000000

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "flappy.py", line 754, in <module>

main()

File "flappy.py", line 205, in main

showGameOverScreen(crashInfo)

File "flappy.py", line 603, in showGameOverScreen

if ONLINE==True and labelhigh1shadow:

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'labelhigh1shadow' referenced before assignment

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/flappybird': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 3

Now the date's rolled over it seems to be doing it again (for me at least!) - game closes when the bird impacts anything every time, but the score does get registered online.

Here's the pndrun_flappybird.out -

PND : /media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/menu/FlappyBird.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/appdata/flappybird

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : run.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/flappybird"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SANDISK4GIG/pandora/appdata/flappybird=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/flappybird=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/flappybird"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

Couldnt load module lowpass

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub0" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub1" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 16 events (type 00000023)

omapsdl: found 4 evdev device(s).

omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1

fbdev: switching to 800x480@16

fbdev: /dev/fb1: 800x480@16

fbdev initialized.

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

omapsdl: dropping unhandled flags: 10000000

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "flappy.py", line 754, in <module>

main()

File "flappy.py", line 205, in main

showGameOverScreen(crashInfo)

File "flappy.py", line 603, in showGameOverScreen

if ONLINE==True and labelhigh1shadow:

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'labelhigh1shadow' referenced before assignment

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/flappybird': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 3
I have the same issue too, it's because of the date change. Will issue a fix ASAP.

Why do people play this game?

We had a way better version of this in 3D on the GP32

it was called lacuna...

it follows the same princip, just without the flapping,

and it is in 3D.

BtW: Could Lacuna be ported over using ginge?

I heard it can translate some gp2x apps, but gp32 ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
this gives me an idea.

I could make a level in my 3D engine, working like lacuna ( generate random walls at distances )

and also include the flapping.

Then we had a 3D version of the game, which would make use of pandoras controls.

Give me some days and we would get frustration cubed. :D

Give me some days and we would get frustration cubed. :D
You can try, but going in between 2D spaces while flapping is way easier to visualize than a given position in 3D space. In 3D you never get a good sense of the distances.
And this is we have the 3DS ;)
The 3D effect on the 3DS is just a gimmick, it gives you nowhere the real impression of distance either :p It's way more complicated to reproduce realistic 3D images.

The 3D effect on the 3DS is just a gimmick, it gives you nowhere the real impression of distance either :p It's way more complicated to reproduce realistic 3D images.
It feeds each of your eyes a different image, from which your brain constructs a 3D scene. How is that in any way different to producing realistic 3D images?

It feeds each of your eyes a different image, from which your brain constructs a 3D scene. How is that in any way different to producing realistic 3D images?
Many reasons why it's just a gimmick:

- resolution is too poor, so obviously the resolution of the 3D effect is way more limited than what you expect to see in reality

- your eyes are not in a fixed position so you are constantly submitted to artifacts with your eyesight

- Optics: the angle of the scene should be different for each of the pixels to recreate a better 3D environment, and that's not what this screen achieves

- It suffers from the lack of depth of field effect, just like 3D movies in the cinema: everything seems like a layer, without thickness. That tells you how shitty the 3D effect is. Although this is great for 2d games.

- There are dozens of better techs to produce 3d pictures, and the ones that the 3DS uses is just the cheapest one, that was already made by SHARP years ago for their 3D cameras, which have the same crappy 3D effect

So no, that's not all how your brain creates 3D pictures in your brain.

Of all those reasons, the only one that's actually valid is the fixed-eyes issue; you can't change your focus. Other than that, there's no other methods of producing a 3D effect without external hardware (glasses, lenses etc) and bumping the resolution would likely push the cost of the screen out of an effective cost range for a handheld device.

To sum up, it's the best you're likely to get - especially from Nintendo.

The brain builds a 3D image from more than just the stereoscopic effect - it uses cues such as size of objects, parallax movement and colour contrast to determine depth. Of all those, the stereoscopic system is the only one that requires hardware; the rest can be done in software with careful manipulation of the image. That the games don't use them is more down to crappy design than any hardware limitation.

Aside, as I said, from the fact that you need to keep your head in the same position to see it - but that can't be gotten around easily with a static display.

D.

Just an FYI - I'm still encountering impossible points in the game sometimes, where there are two sets of pipes literally next to one another, with no gap to go up/down through the openings in each. These seem to happen typically in the mid-50s or early 70s scorewise.

Just an FYI - I'm still encountering impossible points in the game sometimes, where there are two sets of pipes literally next to one another, with no gap to go up/down through the openings in each. These seem to happen typically in the mid-50s or early 70s scorewise.
Yeah. It happened to Alex this morning too. Around early 40 for him if I remember (his complain) correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
flappybird3.pngflappybird4.pngflappybird5.pngflappybird6.pngflappybird7.pngflappybird8.pngflappybird9.pngflappybird10.pngflappybird11.pngflappybird12.png

Don't ask me why I took all these screenshots. I have no idea.

Still getting glittering/missing pixels to the right of all the tubes - holes in the black outline. Normal?

D.

Back