Tegra K1

Hey, well that's a lot better than nothing. Thanks ED.
IMO a lot better than running Android ;)
And all the Android games? Do they really run well without "real" Android? ^^"  

I actualy do not care at all what OS the Pyra will use. However, it should be sleek, "thin" and performant to run games/apps well. No unneccessary overhead, bloated stuff that costs performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things like this make me regret ever going with Apple and spending fortunes on their apps. 

Pyra's going to get a broader appeal with Android on board, though I have no idea how well that's going to run, and how much harder it would make using pyra be. 

I can try some games that are available without play store (not available on Jolla without hackery) and free. Jolla isn't a beast spec-wise, so adjust your expectations to that.

Suggest some. I have some of the humble mobile bundles to try too.

Went on and tried Frozen Synapse. Around 20-30fps by my eyes. Very playable.

Jolla has Qualcomm Snapragon 400 with Dual-core 1.4 GHz Krait 200.

Any educated guesses how well it stacks against the speculated OMAP5?

Went on and tried Frozen Synapse. Around 20-30fps by my eyes. Very playable.

Jolla has Qualcomm Snapragon 400 with Dual-core 1.4 GHz Krait 200.

Any educated guesses how well it stacks against the speculated OMAP5?
CPU-wise, OMAP5 should be considerably better. GPU is a more difficult comparison. Intel's Z2580 (CloverTrail+) SoC should be a reasonable proxy, since like OMAP5 it has an SGX544MP2 that can clock up to 533MHz. Unfortunately, devices containing it aren't that broadly reviewed. Here you can see a comparison with Moto G which has a Snapdragon 400 (GPU should be similar to the one in Jolla):

https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?D1=Lenovo+K900&os1=Android&api1=gl&D2=Motorola+Moto+G+(XT1028%2C+XT1032%2C+XT1033%2C+XT1034)&cols=2

The offscreen tests are the ones that matter. So I'd estimate that Pyra should have substantially more GPU power than Jolla if allowed to clock high.

Ok, I'll buy those Android only bundles on HB from now on and really hope, that P2 gets this software.

Good times ahead.

How about Google services like gtalk and push emails etc? That's my concern.
Are you talking about the stuff I'd be more than happy to NOT have them on my system? :)

Seriously, based on what I read here, I wonder why you don't simply buy one of the millions Android devices out there?

It sounds like that's exactly what you're looking for

What about the Shield?

Thank you Alec, very useful link and yea hangouts/gtalk same thing.

And thanks ED for trying to dissuade me from buying the pyra. I want a clamshell device that runs android games and can act as a desktop replacement in a handheld. Shield is fine for retro and android games but lacks a bit in the desktop replacement area because of the lack of a physical keyboard, stuff I already posted about and you actually responded to in the shield thread.

Thank you Alec, very useful link and yea hangouts/gtalk same thing. And thanks ED for trying to dissuade me from buying the pyra. I want a clamshell device that runs android games and can act as a desktop replacement in a handheld. Shield is fine for retro and android games but lacks a bit in the desktop replacement area because of the lack of a physical keyboard, stuff I already posted about and you actually responded to in the shield thread.
SNESFAN, don't get discourage brother.  Unlike Craig who says nice things but the result is bad, ED speaks his mind but the results are good :)

Wait,,,how long has Tegra 4 been out? This is going way too fast. 

This technology is likened to a hyperactive butterfly with about the same life span.

Thank you Alec, very useful link and yea hangouts/gtalk same thing.And thanks ED for trying to dissuade me from buying the pyra. I want a clamshell device that runs android games and can act as a desktop replacement in a handheld. Shield is fine for retro and android games but lacks a bit in the desktop replacement area because of the lack of a physical keyboard, stuff I already posted about and you actually responded to in the shield thread.
Well, with so many things flying around In my head I can't remember who posted what :)

And from the posts I've seen here it certainly sounded that you're more interested in an Android machine.

Wasn't supposed to be an offence, just seemed to make more sense for me.

Back