Tegra K1

Anyway, isn't the 5432 the one that doesn't support PoP memory? That seems like an unlikely candidate, with all the bling ED wants, I can't see how everything will fit...

Well ED did hint at eMMC memory in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
So by elimination, the only SoC left is TI OMAP 5. I hope it's the OMAP5432 and not the OMAP5430, but the difference is not that big (the 5432 supports more power-efficient RAM).
I don't think the 5430 is available anymore, everything about it appears to have been completely scrubbed from the internet, all that exists is information on the 5432.There were a few other differences, like I think the 5430 supported 6 UART while the 5432 only has 4, but whatever.

Anyway, isn't the 5432 the one that doesn't support PoP memory? That seems like an unlikely candidate, with all the bling ED wants, I can't see how everything will fit...

I was mainly mentioning RAM. Both had eMMC support. The non-PoP one would require two or four external RAM chips.

I think ED's decision to go with TI is a smart one due to it's longevity and support.  NVida and Samsung change their stuff too frequently and tha'ts good for tablets and phones, but not good for PYRA.  Let's say NVidida agrees to sell us Tegra 5, but as with the Tegra 4, they will come out Tegra 6 six months from now and announce no support or they will discontiue Tegra 5, then ED will be doomed as well as the whole PYRA thing.

I was mainly mentioning RAM. Both had eMMC support. The non-PoP one would require two or four external RAM chips.
Well I know there are other NAND/Memory single chip solutions that don't require being soldered directly to the top of the processor. I guess we'll need to wait and see.

It seem TI OMAP 5 does have a Quad core. If that used, then there's really np.

Two A15 and two M4s, but that's not the same thing as having four cores. Code written for the A15 is not necessarily going to be able to run on the M4, getting performance out of them is not going to be a simple task.

Two A15 and two M4s, but that's not the same thing as having four cores. Code written for the A15 is not necessarily going to be able to run on the M4, getting performance out of them is not going to be a simple task.
Yeah, I read from a bad source. Whatever. It seems be a good chip anyway.

It seem TI OMAP 5 does have a Quad core. If that used, then there's really np.
No problem how? Its not like QuadCore means its the worlds best device. It wont be able to run Dolphin, which is fine if thats how it works out but that doesnt mean its just "np, bro"

No problem how? Its not like QuadCore means its the worlds best device. It wont be able to run Dolphin, which is fine if thats how it works out but that doesnt mean its just "np, bro"
Never said it was, but it's still pretty strong. It should be about to run Reicast pretty well,right?

I seen AM5K2Ex on the site, but I didn't know what to make of it, honestly.

The Cortex-M series cores are designed for embedded purposes, they have no MMU (which is a must have for running the Linux kernel on it) and can only execute Thumb/Thumb2 code (and even that is not fully supported on M0 and M1) - even worse: the M3 and M4 use a Harvard architecture, i.e. code and data have to be separated.

However, the M4 has a few DSP features and the M3 and M4 optionally may have a lightweight FPU as well as a MPU. Those 2 cores could probably be used in a similar fashion like the DSP, they are just easier to develop for. Eventually they might be good for audio stuff as they are quite energy efficient, but I can't think of any other usage scenarios right now, it really makes me wonder why TI included 2 of them.

The thing that worries me is that it has been mentioned several times in previous threads that TI will sell the OMAP 5 , but will not provide technical support for it. Is this still the case, and if so , how much of an issue will it be?

The Cortex-M series cores are designed for embedded purposes, they have no MMU (which is a must have for running the Linux kernel on it) and can only execute Thumb/Thumb2 code (and even that is not fully supported on M0 and M1) - even worse: the M3 and M4 use a Harvard architecture, i.e. code and data have to be separated.

However, the M4 has a few DSP features and the M3 and M4 optionally may have a lightweight FPU as well as a MPU. Those 2 cores could probably be used in a similar fashion like the DSP, they are just easier to develop for. Eventually they might be good for audio stuff as they are quite energy efficient, but I can't think of any other usage scenarios right now, it really makes me wonder why TI included 2 of them.
In the case of the Cortex-M4s on the OMAP5, they have a (rather limited) MMU and a unified cache that both cores share. It isn't really a true Harvard architecture like you're thinking either, there are two buses but you can still access instructions and data off of both of them, you just don't get full throughput this way.

not enough air in my lungs.

TI basically killed off most of their omap department, there will be extremely limited official support, less than omap 4, extremely limited community support as almost no commercial products will be equipped with an omap 5 so not a whole lot of pooled resources for omap specific stuff. Absolutely everything is going to be coming only from this community, and maybe the 12 people that picked up an 5432 evm board for $300+

they're using powervr agian, so no community driven open source gpu drivers. powervr sgx544mp specifically doesn't have normal opengl support, only ES, and of that 2.0 where alternatives are sporting opengl 4.3 and opengles 3.0.

not real big.little m4+a15 vs a7+a15. Peak speed of dual core 1.7ghz according to their website, evm board only gets 1.5ghz for whatever reason and has a massive passive chip cooler so it must get pretty hot.

i could go on

just very lackluster and non impressive... sigh worthy.

not enough air in my lungs.

TI basically killed off most of their omap department, there will be extremely limited official support, less than omap 4, extremely limited community support as almost no commercial products will be equipped with an omap 5 so not a whole lot of pooled resources for omap specific stuff. Absolutely everything is going to be coming only from this community, and maybe the 12 people that picked up an 5432 evm board for $300+

they're using powervr agian, so no community driven open source gpu drivers. powervr sgx544mp specifically doesn't have normal opengl support, only ES, and of that 2.0 where alternatives are sporting opengl 4.3 and opengles 3.0.

not real big.little m4+a15 vs a7+a15. Peak speed of dual core 1.7ghz according to their website, evm board only gets 1.5ghz for whatever reason and has a massive passive chip cooler so it must get pretty hot.

i could go on

just very lackluster and non impressive... sigh worthy.
I agree about PowerVR.

I don't think OMAP5 will not be used in any other products though - just not in smartphones.

It's certainly a big improvement compared to OMAP3. Sure, there are nicer SoCs out there (e.g. SnapDragon 800 and Exynos 5), but if those companies don't want to sell them to ED, then for all practical purposes those SoCs could just as well not exist at all.

You are aware that there's there's not really a current-gen SoC which has an OpenSource Driver available?

And that TI offers both Linux and Android drivers for the OMAP whereas most other current SoC vendors only offer Android drivers?

Is there any other current-gen SoC where you have full Linux support available?

Links?

Back