Telnetting With Linux

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
Looking throuhg linux and learning commands like ls, cd.. ect, I notice that the colored text mean things. The dark blue means directory, but the light blue and light green I dont know what they are or what they do. Any comands to run these files or file tranfer over from the GP2X to my windows PC and play with them?

Cervante posted on Mar 5 2007 at 08:21 PM said:
Looking throuhg linux and learning commands like ls, cd.. ect, I notice that the colored text mean things. The dark blue means directory, but the light blue and light green I dont know what they are or what they do. Any comands to run these files or file tranfer over from the GP2X to my windows PC and play with them?

Hi Cervante, a bit off topic this, but if you'd like to learn all about Linux from a Windows PC, then you could always download the free vmware player and a Debian GNU/Linux image for it. It would run in a virtual machine under Windows and so you wouldn't need to mess about with downloading ISOs and installing stuff etc.

A quick Google suggests this may be a good place to start:

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/

The advantage of having a vmware based GNU/Linux system is you can make a backup copy of its hard disc image (just like any other file in Windows) and then break Linux in interesting ways! :)

Plus as it will be a full OS you can type things like: "man ls" to get help etc!

Just a thought, sorry to be off topic! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dont waste $30 on Linux for Dummies like I did,

Get a Ubuntu live install disc and start hacking, with the new version its easy to set up a dual boot system linux/windows, the installer helps a lot.

I think by default green means executable and blue means symlink, I could be wrong.

Back