Temper Bugs/suggestions/compatibility Issues

Haha...yeah you're right. Not sure what it is then. More than likely what Exophase mentioned. Haha he'd know a hell of a lot more than me.

Noremakk said:
Hey, you're the one who said to post any games that don't run at 60/60 at 200mhz. Just doing as you asked. ;)
Heh.. sorry, let me clarify. If you notice slowdown, and you will because the audio will pop (instead of just slowing down), then turn on the FPS counter and post what you're getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Noremakk said:
Hey, you're the one who said to post any games that don't run at 60/60 at 200mhz. Just doing as you asked. ;)
Heh.. sorry, let me clarify. If you notice slowdown, and you will because the audio will pop (instead of just slowing down), then turn on the FPS counter and post what you're getting.

Ah-ha. That's what happens to me whenever I play GPSP... Temper is good! GPSP is (no offense) not so great... It needs a few more rounds of coding; I'm content with Temper already. It's all I could ever ask for in a TG-16/PCE emulator. :)

Noremakk said:
Ah-ha. That's what happens to me whenever I play GPSP... Temper is good! GPSP is (no offense) not so great... It needs a few more rounds of coding; I'm content with Temper already. It's all I could ever ask for in a TG-16/PCE emulator. :)
Unfortunately GBA is a tiny bit more powerful than PC-Engine :<

If you really want to come full circle try running PCEAdvance in gpSP on GP2X. That can't be good for anyone.

Exophase said:
Noremakk said:
Unfortunately GBA is a tiny bit more powerful than PC-Engine :<

If you really want to come full circle try running PCEAdvance in gpSP on GP2X. That can't be good for anyone.

Haha! Have you actually tried that? Nothing better than an emulator running an emulator.

Anyways, back on topic... I have two games that actually don't work at all.

Both Hana Tahka Daka (J) and Raiden (U) make the screen go completely black and crash the emulator, requiring a hard reset (i.e. flipping the power switch).

I may just have bad ROM dumps, but if anyone else wants to test this as well, go ahead.

I have just tested every US game on Temper and the only game that isn't compatible is Legend of Hero Tonma (U).pce. Every game I tested was checked by goodpce v1.09 and were all valid. I have only tested a few (J) titles. If anyone wants all those tested, I can check those at a later time.

-Kensupen

Kensupen said:
I have just tested every US game on Temper and the only game that isn't compatible is Legend of Hero Tonma (U).pce. Every game I tested was checked by goodpce v1.09 and were all valid. I have only tested a few (J) titles. If anyone wants all those tested, I can check those at a later time.

-Kensupen
Turn on force USA encoding. It'll work. I would like it if you tested them all, of course. :B

I just tested it again with force USA with the (U) version and I still get a black screen, but not locked up. When I turn on the force USA setting, it hardlocks the 2X. The (J) version works. I have tried every combo of settings to make the US version work, but it just won't. I checked the rom again with goodPCE and it says it's the right one.

-Kensupen

Kensupen said:
I just tested it again with force USA with the (U) version and I still get a black screen, but not locked up. When I turn on the force USA setting, it hardlocks the 2X. The (J) version works. I have tried every combo of settings to make the US version work, but it just won't. I checked the rom again with goodPCE and it says it's the right one.

-Kensupen
Did you save the game specific config for it? Otherwise the global config will be reloaded when the game is, and it won't save that option in it. So you have to:

- load the game
- set the option
- save game specific config
- reload the game (resetting is not good enough)

Exophase said:
Did you save the game specific config for it? Otherwise the global config will be reloaded when the game is, and it won't save that option in it. So you have to:

- load the game
- set the option
- save game specific config
- reload the game (resetting is not good enough)
I did those exact steps and all I get when I load the game is a black screen, no sound (frozen). I even tried exiting and restarting Temper. After I delete the saved CFG for that game it loads with a black screen with the 60/60 and I can access the menu, but no graphics or sound.

-Kensupen

Ok, this doesn't make any sense....

I changed my firmware to try to get an SDHC card working, which didn't, and then I went back into Temper and tried all the games I tested that didn't work, and now they do.

So, as far as compatibility goes, I have tested every US game and most of the Jap ones and so far none have failed to load. I'll post if I find one that doesn't.

-Kensupen

Just to let you guys know, I'm finally making good progress on CD-ROM emulation for the PC version of Temper. I hope to have it in good working shape for a first release by next weekend. From there I don't see any major reasons why it shouldn't port over to GP2X, and hopefully it won't put too much of an extra performance strain on it (especially considering in a lot of cases the CPU is freed from having to pump out audio)

.. oh, and in case there's any confusion, even though I originally planned to do SuperGrafx first I changed my mind. So this doesn't mean I did SuperGrafx >_>

This is very awesome news! Thank you so much for taking the time to work on this.

Exo,

Keep up the good work! :D I still am getting random lockups, but can't reproduce them. (My 2X is prolly hosed, getting an F200 in Oct.) It seems to mainly happen when I open a lot of different games one right after another.

-Kensupen
P.S. Are you going to fix the Turbo buttons with direction press in the next release with CD support?

Kensupen said:
Exo,

Keep up the good work! :D I still am getting random lockups, but can't reproduce them. (My 2X is prolly hosed, getting an F200 in Oct.) It seems to mainly happen when I open a lot of different games one right after another.
-Kensupen
P.S. Are you going to fix the Turbo buttons with direction press in the next release with CD support?

I hope to. Those random locks are probably Temper's fault, although who knows what's causing it now.

Back