Temper Bugs/suggestions/compatibility Issues

jbrodack said:
sounds good that cd emulation is coming along. one small issue i have is that temper doesn't seem to remember where my roms directory is so i have to find it each time i start it up again
You're using 0.56, not 0.55?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
From there I don't see any major reasons why it shouldn't port over to GP2X, and hopefully it won't put too much of an extra performance strain on it (especially considering in a lot of cases the CPU is freed from having to pump out audio)
Wow awesome! Thanks again for all of the great work.

Could the second core be used if there is a performance hit like Picodrive does? Or is the architecture too much different?

Exophase said:
jbrodack said:
sounds good that cd emulation is coming along. one small issue i have is that temper doesn't seem to remember where my roms directory is so i have to find it each time i start it up again
You're using 0.56, not 0.55?

sorry, i was using 0.55, the 0.56 release kind of snuck by me. just looked at the readme of .56 and see that issue was fixed with that version. you're way ahead of me exophase.

Sorry for the lack of updates. It's a mixture of intensely not wanting to work on it and actually working on it being really annoying. Still, I'm making more good progress.

I'm going to be gone for a couple days, but I was thinking it might be good if people could list the top 10 or so PCE-CD games they'd like to see emulated. It's unrealistic for me to have very high compatibility in the first release without making it take too long, so I'd prefer to just focus on the most popular ones.

Try to avoid ones that use the Arcade Card, I really don't feel like emulating it (doesn't fit well with the system I have now).

Okay are we talking CD games, SCD or Arcade CD games? :)

Dracula X: Chi No Rondo
Spriggan
Snatcher (would be nice but it's Japanese only :-/)
Sylphia
Steam Hearts
Star Parodier
Cho Aniki
Sapphire :)

Cho Aniki, definitely. They are a black hole in my list of "bloody weird games I ought to play at least once" :p

1. Ys Book I&II CD
2. Ys III CD
3 Ys IV SCD
4. Lords of Thunder SCD
5. Gate of Thunder SCD
6. Dracula X SCD
7. Spriggan CD
8. Dungeon Explorer II SCD
9. Nexzr SCD
10. Star Parodier SCD

Thanks again for still working on this even though you haven't really been wanting too. I know the feeling working on certain 3D animation projects.

I will give My first 6 in order of preference (I don't remember the others):

1. Gate of Thunder SCD
2. Dracula X SCD
3. Ys Book I&II CD
4. Ys III CD
5 Ys IV SCD
6. Lords of Thunder SCD

Thanks again for everything :)

Thanks for the lists everyone. These are the games I'm choosing from them, and some status (how they work on the PC version as of now:

Dracula X - works fine
Gate of Thunder - untested
Lords of Thunder - works fine
Ys 1 + 2 - works fine
Ys 3 - untested
Ys 4 - doesn't work
Spriggan - untested
Cho Aniki - untested
Star Parodier - untested
GoTzenDiener (I wanted a non-shooter to round it off) - works fine

I'll get what I can and probably fit in a couple others as well. I'm actually starting with Ai Cho Aniki instead of the first one for some reason.

EDIT: Spoke too soon on GoTzenDiener, looks like it's working now.

WOW cool Exophase. Sounds great.

Thanks again for the great work.

Very nice news! Are all these cd games you're testing in bin/cue format?

I stayed up really late last night working on this again.. arrgh :/

Ys 4 - works now, not that I played much
Gate of Thunder - works, but the 4-in-1 pack version has this annoying sustained PSG audio throughout the opening/title screen (what's worse, Mednafen has this bug too, hopefully I and/or Mednafen's author can get to the bottom of it)
Ai Cho Aniki - works (yes, I tested the weirder one first, I'll get to its prequel when I get it)
Star Parodia - works, but the SFX get a little broken after several levels of play.. I kinda wonder if this may happen to ADPCM in general :/

Exophase said:
I stayed up really late last night working on this again.. arrgh :/

Ys 4 - works now, not that I played much
Gate of Thunder - works, but the 4-in-1 pack version has this annoying sustained PSG audio throughout the opening/title screen (what's worse, Mednafen has this bug too, hopefully I and/or Mednafen's author can get to the bottom of it)
Ai Cho Aniki - works (yes, I tested the weirder one first, I'll get to its prequel when I get it)
Star Parodia - works, but the SFX get a little broken after several levels of play.. I kinda wonder if this may happen to ADPCM in general :/
For the Gate of Thunder noise problem I just want to let you know that I own Magic Engine and it does the same thing. Actually every pc-engine emulator I ever used with CD emulation does the same thing with the 4 in 1 disk. If you can get it fixed you will be doing something no other pc-engine author has. I wouldn't worry about that too much though. People can always just get the Japanese version. Also expect a nice donation when the next version gets released. This really is an amazing emulator and you deserve more than just a pat on the back. Thanks again for working on this. :)

Update time (urgh, I'm so tired from working on this instead of sleeping, it's nearly 8AM here.. heh oh well)

Over the last week I've been working hard on improving compatibility, as you all know. I've got things to over 80% of the tested games (over 100 in total, from my one diligent tester) working without any problems, and a good percentage of the ones left over only exhibiting minor to very minor issues.

So I finally decided to make the big push towards getting it on GP2X. At first the results were rather disappointing - just couldn't keep up playing CDDA. I wrote buffer, readahead, and everything I could until it was very close. Then I changed the synchronization code and I haven't had any problems since. So far I've only tested Dracula X and Cho Aniki, but I think they're both good.

I just need to test some more, code savestate support for CD, and a few other things and I'll be ready.

Sounds awesome! I've been thinking about having my PCE Duo-R shipped here to me in Japan from the US. (I bet its one of the only times someone has wanted to ship a PC Engine BACK into Japan :D ).

Judging by your progress so far, and your recent updates, I may not have to after all. Thanks a lot for all your hard work. You're filling in one of the biggest gaps in the GP2Xs emulation library.

Sounds great! Looking forward to the release.

Thank you very much for working on this. :D

Back