Temper Bugs/suggestions/compatibility Issues

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
For my PC-Engine/Turbografx emulator. This seems like the easiest way to keep track of problems.

I'll try to keep a compatibility/bugs list here. Since it probably has pretty good compatibility I won't bother putting games that are confirmed to work.

Also, please mention any games that aren't fullspeed at 200MHz w/fast RAM timings on. If you suspect problems check "show FPS" in options and see if it ever goes below 59/60.

Emulator bugs:

Sometimes the emulator will crash when loading a ROM, and sometimes it will crash when exiting (or even lock up the GP2X)

One time Temper locked up my gp2x upon trying to load a new game (maybe the 3rd game in my session). I got a black screen when I tried to load the rom, and couldn't do anything. After rebooting my gp2x, the same rom loaded fine.

Could be useful if the file navigation should remember the last file selected(it is boring to scroll a long list of files from the start to try a game after another)

noldor73 said:
Could be useful if the file navigation should remember the last file selected(it is boring to scroll a long list of files from the start to try a game after another)
So jumped to it? Maybe. Auto reload I don't want.

Are you use L/R to navigate?

Last edited by a moderator:
The crashing of Temper is very reproducible for me. It crashes every time after starting a game for the second time (after cold boot and exiting Temper once) with gmenu2x 0.9.

[edit] not experienced the crash on exit yet and I must have tried the above for at least 15 times. After a cold boot the games always work.

Exophase said:
noldor73 said:
So jumped to it? Maybe. Auto reload I don't want.

Are you use L/R to navigate?

Yes I'm using L/R but with a large dir (500 or more files) it is very uncomfortable to start browsing dir whenever from the first file.

it's a great emulator, thanks exo.

i've tested it with A LOT of games, a bunch are slow, expecially i found Ninja Spirit to slow down very much during the first boss battle (a lot of sprites on screen), much more than with the previous emulator.
You can also see it slow down in Eternal City intro screen, here it it goes so slow that also the audio go crap, but here in game is perfect.

I've not found blocks nor crashes and i've tried almost 50 games this night :)
i think it could be the best pc-engine emulator easily

Eclipse said:

i've tested it with A LOT of games, a bunch are slow, expecially i found Ninja Spirit to slow down very much during the first boss battle (a lot of sprites on screen), much more than with the previous emulator.
You can also see it slow down in Eternal City intro screen, here it it goes so slow that also the audio go crap, but here in game is perfect.

I've not found blocks nor crashes and i've tried almost 50 games this night :)
i think it could be the best pc-engine emulator easily
Did you forget mmuhack.o?

Because of how I coded it (which is actually not really good, I changed it and it's a bit faster now) any game that uses low priority sprites will absolutely require it.

ok, i tried to reproduce that bug b o b said and it's true, it hangs up if you start a rom, exit the emulator, relaunch and start a rom

edit: ok, seeing if i had it disabled

edit2: i've not found anything about enable mmu hack on the emu menu.. but i copied all the files if it just search for the .o

Eclipse said:
ok, i tried to reproduce that bug b o b said and it's true, it hangs up if you start a rom, exit the emulator, relaunch and start a rom

edit: ok, seeing if i had it disabled

edit2: i've not found anything about enable mmu hack on the emu menu.. but i copied all the files if it just search for the .o
I think that must be the problem because I tried Eternal City and it was 86-91fps in the intro (200MHz, fast RAM timings off) (73-78 with patch idle loops off) - my version is faster but not that much faster. Try copying it again. What version GP2X are you using?

copied all the emu in another SD and tried with an F100 mk2, it runs at 40\50 fps on Eternal City Toshi Tenso Keikaku (J) intro (after pressing RUN button on main menu) just like on the f200, that's not bad but the music do a metallic playback. During game it's 60/60 :)
btw consider it fullspeed, it runs flawlessy the games! great stuff, i'm gonna delete the other pc engine emus :D

now i'm dreaming about having a good super cd support (mostly for Kaze Kiri Ninja Action that had no sound effects and poor music playback on gp2xengine :p)

Eclipse said:
copied all the emu in another SD and tried with an F100 mk2, it runs at 40\50 fps on Eternal City Toshi Tenso Keikaku (J) intro (after pressing RUN button on main menu) just like on the f200, that's not bad but the music do a metallic playback. During game it's 60/60 :)
I tried copying the exact archive I loaded to a new directory, ran the game, 80-86fps after pressing start. Are you running at 200MHz or something lower?

I still think it's related to mmuhack.o.

Eclipse said:
200mhz, isn't the framerate capped to 60fps? i got the emulator from archive.gp2x.de
Turn on "fast forward" to get over 60fps.

I was using the version I uploaded (http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/temper_v0.5.zip), but it'd be pretty weird if the one on the archive was different. Guess I'll check anyway.

I've got the same issue with Eternal City Toshi Tenso Keikaku (J) as Eclipse. Only the intro sound (after! entering start) is very cracking 42/60 on 200 Mhz (a bit better on 250), plays fine in game, 60/60 82 with fast forward on.

Eclipse said:

I have this game on my original Duo. It was a pack in game when I bought my TurboDuo. Anyways Ninja Spirit has major slowdown at the first boss on my Duo. The reason it might not have slowdown in the other emu is that Temper might have a more accurate cycle? So maybe the real slowdown is reproduced.

b_o_b said:
I've got the same issue with Eternal City Toshi Tenso Keikaku (J) as Eclipse. Only the intro sound (after! entering start) is very cracking 42/60 on 200 Mhz (a bit better on 250), plays fine in game, 60/60 82 with fast forward on.
My frame rates were for after start was pressed as well...

I wonder if this is a firmware version issue? What version are you using?

Could you guys try the mmuhack from another emulator, like Picodrive?

Exophase said:
I wonder if this is a firmware version issue? What version are you using?
Could you guys try the mmuhack from another emulator, like Picodrive?
I tried another mmuhack, still the same issue. I'm using fw 4.0 on my F200.
I still own a F100, so I can test it on that one as well. Will take some time though, need to upgrade the firmware to read sdhc cards.

b_o_b said:
The crashing of Temper is very reproducible for me. It crashes every time after starting a game for the second time (after cold boot and exiting Temper once) with gmenu2x 0.9.

[edit] not experienced the crash on exit yet and I must have tried the above for at least 15 times. After a cold boot the games always work.
I have the same bug. I tried to make some reset but the emu still crash. I'm using 2.1.2 (notaz version) firmware.

Back