Testing Overclock

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
Please can you suggest me a trustable test to find out if a GP32 unit can overclock at 166Mhz? I heard of a guy running GPDooM at 166Mhz for hours, while Super Mario World on OSNES9xGP freezes after a few minutes.

Thanks

You've already answered your own question - there is no way of performing a reliable test because one app will behave differently to another when you're clocking right to the limit of your device.

That was me that had the issue of running fine for hours in gpdoom and only for a few minutes - seconds in os9xgp...

just switch down to 160 in you snes em... you gp32 really is 166, that emulator is just very rough on the arm9

The best speed tester is SDK_Example_3droter, it is the only one that will put real simulated in game pressure on the cpu, all others run your machine in idle at the clock speeds which is no good.

but even if you can run that speed test for 4 hours you may still only be able to handle snes emu for a few seconds... really the only way to be sure you can do snes emu at 166 from speed test results is if you can run the speed test for at least 20 minutes at a notch or two above 166...

But really... just do what I do take your snes and Dr.MD down to 160... you won't notice any difference between 160 and 166.

worldwriter posted on Feb 12 2005 at 09:01 PM said:
The best speed tester is SDK_Example_3droter, it is the only one that will put real simulated in game pressure on the cpu, all others run your machine in idle at the clock speeds which is no good.
Yeah, Quake (like most apps that require high clock speeds) spends most of it's time running idle which is why it's so slow. Most people think it's because it runs thousands of complex calculations per second but that's just a myth. You're much better testing with something that tries to put presure on the cpu rather than something that actually does it. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
mines really weird.. On OSNES9x it can easily do 166 for hours but on CaSTawayGP it can't even do 156 ;) Doom and even Quake are fine though

Back