That New Pandora Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jourdy288 said:
femngi said:
It's like I've wandered into an XKCD strip.
That would actually be great if we could get Pandoras (when released) into Randall's comics...
Believe me, Mr. Munroe has said nay to advertisement requests aplenty. Best thing would be if he was to stumble upon (no pun intended*) the project somehow and would decide he'd like to make a comic about it.

*although this was how I first found the OpenPandora project, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Limestraël said:
You build a very simple recursive advertisement campaign:

void talkToPeopleAboutPandora(person someone, person somefriend)
{
say(someone, somefriend, "Pandora is f**king good");
talkToPeopleAboutPandora(somefriend, getAFriend(somefriend));
}

No, you're doing it wrong.

Pandora = Incredible product
Than why aren't people buying?
People = Lazy
Simplify
People = Don't want to go looking for games
Possible solutions = Sacrifice people to Pickle, make it easy for people to get games
Simplify second solution
Make it easy for people to get games = Put all the games together on one great website, make them available to download
Any other problems?
Pandora = Unreleased Product
Solution = Bootleg Pandoras, steal the one from Craig and clone it.
Better solution needed
Solution = Wait for release
How will people know?
Knowledge = Viral Marketing, Featured article on Wikipedia, Good quality Youtube video with Pandora beating out other consoles

Jourdy288 said:
Limestraël said:

{
}

People = Lazy
Simplify
Possible solutions = Sacrifice people to Pickle, make it easy for people to get games
Simplify second solution
Make it easy for people to get games = Put all the games together on one great website, make them available to download
Any other problems?
Better solution needed
How will people know?
Knowledge = Viral Marketing, Featured article on Wikipedia
Sorry, but in which language is that written? Can't run it in Python, even with "import english", for some reason.

BTW, can't we all come together and try to improve the Wikipedia article? It needs some polish methinks.

dflemstr said:
Jourdy288 said:
Limestraël said:

{
}

People = Lazy
Simplify
Simplify second solution
Any other problems?
Better solution needed
How will people know?
Knowledge = Viral Marketing, Featured article on Wikipedia
Sorry, but in which language is that written? Can't run it in Python, even with "import english", for some reason.

BTW, can't we all come together and try to improve the Wikipedia article? It needs some polish methinks.
That's Cameronian, expected to be released around 2019.
Yes, however, if we all came together to work on the Wikipedia article on Pandora, I bet we could get it featured.
Let's dance work.

Jourdy288 said:
Do you think that we ought put a CD with a great bundle of Open-Source games, software, etc.? I do.

No, I don't think that a CD of pandora software is a good idea: getting files from a physical cd to pandora is too much of an hassle for stuff that I can download more easily from the net, and if you meant a cd iso wouldn't a simple tarball/zip be better?

The TC seems to suffer from delusions of the Pandora as a mainstream device.

Jourdy288 said:
What should people associate with a Pandora? I think that it would be wise to tell people! Such as how much greater it is than a load of stuff already on the market, it could be an excellent way to introduce the idea of open source technology.
Many normal people already use open-source software like Firefox and OpenOffice. They don't need to know or care that it's open-source to use it; why would this be any more relevant to casual users of the Pandora?

As a selling point we ought mention how the software and games for the Pandora will be free.
Not nearly all of it will be. Open-source commercial games (quake and the like) and ones on emulatable systems are a major attraction to many preorderers, and no one can tell how much 3rd-party commercial support the Pandora will eventually see.

Do you think that we ought put a CD with a great bundle of Open-Source games, software, etc.?
I don't. A physical CD is among the least convenient media to use with the Pandora, the device lacking an internal optical drive. A vast majority, if not all of those capable of ordering a Pandora at the moment will have internet access when it arrives; downloading everything up-to-date from the Pandora File Archive or authors' web sites would be, to me, infinitely preferrable to picking from a hodgepodge of less-polished prerelease software using an external CD-ROM reader.

One potential Open-Source turnoff is decentralization, so I, Jourdan Cameron, propose that we (whoever feels like it) start a website dedicated to Open-Source software, but make a user friendly, so that somebody new to the idea can:
A. Catch on easily

and

B. Have a repository of software at his/her fingertips
What, you mean like the archive? There're also the massive Angstrom repos, although a PND is probably better than a package installed the traditional way, given the Pandora's mostly-removable storage.

Remember, it needs to be so easy, your grandmother can do it.
Nuh-uh, no it doesn't.

Casual word-of-mouth will be enough, I believe. And maybe graffiti.

Excellent an archive, except... Oi. Looks like it was designed by a crackhead :lol:
But in all honesty, that archive is a mess, most people won't want to navigate through that... it's too much in their faces...
And I will not stop believing that the Pandora can will be a mainstream device. If only we had some bigger backing. Figures...
Meanwhile, we work on the Wikipedia article and wait for it to come out. When it does, we go nuts. Just not spam.
Also, as far as bundled software, perhaps we ought put it on the hard drive of the Pandora as opposed to a CD. That would be wise, come think of it.
BTW, can you actually add an optical drive to your Pandora?!
I as a consumer don't like hunting from website to website for the software I want.

Jourdy288 said:
Excellent an archive, except... Oi. Looks like it was designed by a crackhead :lol:
But in all honesty, that archive is a mess, most people won't want to navigate through that... it's too much in their faces...

I would be surprised if there weren't a front-end like urpmi/rpmdrake or apt-get/synaptic. Apps that do the pack mule labour for installing new stuff (instead of the user having to go through hoops) is sort of the bread and butter of the Linux world.

There's a USB port, so if the drivers are there, I imagine you could attach and mount a DVD-ROM drive just like you would on an x86 PC.

Jourdy288 said:

Um... wow! If people can't navigate through that then they're gonna have trouble running ANY of the software for Pandora

And I will not stop believing that the Pandora can will be a mainstream device. If only we had some bigger backing. Figures...

Yes Pandora does have the possibility of evolving into a device that will appeal to at least a selection of the mainstream. But it's not about figures... If it happens it will be through word of mouth and evolution.

Also, as far as bundled software, perhaps we ought put it on the hard drive of the Pandora as opposed to a CD. That would be wise, come think of it.

Hard Drive? Do you even know anything about the Pandora?

I as a consumer don't like hunting from website to website for the software I want.

That I can understand. That's why the Pandora File Archive should be all you need. Sorry you find it difficult to navigate. I appreciate since Windows 95 navigation of simple hierarchical structures have become less of a requirement for casual users of computers, but honestly its easy:

Go to the top
You want games? Click games
Now choose the type of game: Platform?

There's a list of all the platform games. Easy peasy.

Jourdy288 said:

Thats not a very nice thing to say, EvilDragon has been providing the file archive service to us for free for almost 5 years.
It has servered us very well through the life of the GP32, GP2x, Wiz, And will do so for the Pandora.

Jourdy288 said:

The Pandora does not have a hard drive, So, Unless customers order an SD card with their Pandora, There is nowhere for this "bundled software" to be stored, And for valid reasons, The nad should be used for system software only. Plus, Personally, I don`t see the point of bundling software with the Pandora, As which software a person uses is down to personal preference, And is also likely to be outdated by the time each Pandora/batch is shipped. So the customer may as well just download the latest version.

Jourdy288 said:

Yes, Via usb.

Jourdy288 said:

That`s one of the reasons why we have ED`s File archive.

Trooper

EvilDragon, I mean you no offense, but the archive is hideous to the eyes of the public. I would use it, but it's appearance is going to be a major turnoff to consumers.

Go to the top
You want games? Click games
Now choose the type of game: Platform?

There's a list of all the platform games. Easy peasy.

Of course, but the page is overwhelming, there are too many links, graphics, etc. It's rather disorganized.
I appreciate the the archive, but I can create a new, nicer archive. I have degree in HTML 4.0 Web Design, I graduated with a GPA of 4.0.
Or, we can have a flash website made even more attractive...

No-one creates serious sites in Flash. Making anything in a proprietory format is always a bad idea, and to add irony to the matter, you'd not be able to view it on the pandora if you did use Flash.

Jourdy288 said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Suffice it to say that Flash is NOT AT ALL befitting to any sort of open-source Linux hardware device.

Jourdy288 said:
I have degree in HTML 4.0 Web Design, I graduated with a GPA of 4.0.
These two sentences... they do not seem to go together.

O really, I hadn't a clue! So Flash+Pandora= No...
OK, gotcha.
Still, HTML 4.0 is my thing, I suppose.
And Wiki Markup.

I find it amazing that a person who know so LITTLE about the Pandora wants to do so much for it.
Jourdy: try researching the Pandora much more thoroughly first so that you know more about.
Maybe then you'll be in a better position where you can suggest something useful.

Lol, can't really make a site with wiki markup and unless you're fluent in scripting and databases then you're not likely to be able to make anything useful with static html

Jourdy288 said:
Or, we can have a flash website
I am currently typing this from the hospital carpark where I have just been discharged. After seeing the above statement I had such an apoplectic fit of nerd rage that the doctors couldn't believe I didn't have a heart attack with that kind of blood pressure. If I had crashed out though I wouldn't have been able to scream "HEY THIS FLASH WEBSITE LOOKS PRETTY COOL DUDE" over and over.

OK, I'm sorry, I'm just a sprite-drawing Wikipedian n00b, please have mercy!
LOL, but I really love the idea of Open-Source hardware and software, I just want to see it get off the ground without getting squished by Micro$ft.
BTW, quick question: How do I attach a MIDI Song to a post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back