The Archos Gamepad.

I've seen your signature and the skilled mods you done making those handhelds...

but was changing out the dpad an experienced level task?

What dpad did you swap it out for out of interest?

Last edited by a moderator:
NES dpad. ... I just caught up with that post and the battery mod.

I'm jealous of the much improved Gamepad ;)

it's start getting decent with the dpad mod and the batery mod... now if you can reduce the size to 2/3 that would be great, that thing is still damn to huge.

^ Perfect size IMO,  7" screen is just right.  I guess its a trade off , do you want the screen size that will fit in your pocket or the one you want to play games on - and still be mobile.

^ Perfect size IMO,  7" screen is just right.  I guess its a trade off , do you want the screen size that will fit in your pocket or the one you want to play games on - and still be mobile.
My preferred handheld is my GBM, I guess that say all...

How good are the standard controls on Mame, SNES emulation etc - not bothered about analogue controls or other Android games.

If Mame is just about perfect then it will be well worth the £130 - downloaded Gridlee on my Ipad3 and Mini but built in controls cannot be beaten!

Archos really need to push the boat out if they want to compete in this over saturated market now willneed to have a snapdragon 600 or tegra 4 and console grade controls or it willbe ignored to many of these appearing now (which isnt a bad thing)

Archos really need to push the boat out if they want to compete in this over saturated market now willneed to have a snapdragon 600 or tegra 4 and console grade controls or it willbe ignored to many of these appearing now (which isnt a bad thing)
I think you will likely see a RK3188 quad core in it since it's being built in china (more likely to use a chinese SOC ).  Archos dont strike me as the kind that go premium HW - Of course it would be awesome if they did.  LEts at least hope they put a bigger battery in it and put in a proper d-pad.

I bought a gamepad 2 months ago. I was somewhat exited to play something more powerfull than my pandy and I expected to get some fun porting a few games to it.

In the end it take more dust than my pandora. I haven't even install the android ndk.

The reason : the control are bad. The build quality is bad. The screen is bad. I was somewhat prepared (I readed this thread before buying) but at this point Not for me. If anything, I wont get a gamepad2 for sure.

/me looking with envy at the shield and waiting for a pandora 2...

Back