The biggest computer/gaming mistake you have ever made.

I fried an AMD e-360 motherboard. After having it connected to a wide input range car PSU and a 12v lead battery I had it working, except the cpu fan wasn't connected. Ignoring my subliminal spider sense of warning I just went ahead and plugged the fan in - bzzt - and thereby sent the board on to the realm of perished electronics. Sniff. That thing really helped saving power taking over all duties excpet gaming.

Edit:

A gaming mistake I just remembered, if you wanna call it that: I was a huge fan of Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, playing it a lot online (char was called "Shinji").

One day I ventured forth to try out the US based servers. It was my 2nd or 3rd game when a "hacker" took me and the the other teammate to a room he had created himself, us, his victims, not being able to move. He told us we should give him all our stuff. Else he would keep us trapped here. If we decided to just switch off the console, we would lose our characters along with all their items. The victim trapped alongside me told me he/she had heard of that and highly recommended to me to believe the words of that "hacker".

Well, I was all game. Filled with fury and disgust, I hit the power switch on my Dreamcast. "If that's the kind of people I am to 'play' with, I might as well stop right here and now."

And what better way to stop you dead in an RPG than to lose your character, money and all the items you had?! Well, that's exactly what happened. Everything gone. Never touched the game again.

Last edited by a moderator:
A gaming mistake I just remembered, if you wanna call it that: I was a huge fan of Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, playing it a lot online (char was called "Shinji").

One day I ventured forth to try out the US based servers. It was my 2nd or 3rd game when a "hacker" took me and the the other teammate to a room he had created himself, us, his victims, not being able to move. He told us we should give him all our stuff. Else he would keep us trapped here. If we decided to just switch off the console, we would lose our characters along with all their items. The victim trapped alongside me told me he/she had heard of that and highly recommended to me to believe the words of that "hacker".

Well, I was all game. Filled with fury and disgust, I hit the power switch on my Dreamcast. "If that's the kind of people I am to 'play' with, I might as well stop right here and now."

And what better way to stop you dead in an RPG than to lose your character, money and all the items you had?! Well, that's exactly what happened. Everything gone. Never touched the game again.

That's brilliant, what a bizarre event. You were mugged by your Dreamcast.

I bought am Amiga A1200 with my student grant, not long after I bought a PCMCIA external hard drive with my student loan. It was in a nice enclosure and "just plugged" in on the side and was shaped like the A1200 so it just looked a bit longer, I wasnt as happy messing with hardware at the time so i thought an external would be much less hassle than adding an internal one since i couldnt afford to replace to Amiga is a blew it up.

I had problems with it being recoginsed due to a wobbly PCMCIA interface so i returned it.

During "testing & repairs" the company went into liquidation and i lost everything, Being a student at the time the £400 or so it cost me was a hell of a lot of money. I was also replying on it for WP and compiling duties for my Software Eng degree so it was a major trauma at the time.

I think my biggest mistake was buying Simons Quest for the nes and paid a shitload of money for it. The manual was just in english and you can guess how far I came in this game without internet or Nintendo Power :(

I bought Star Wars Galaxies, before the prequels had fully ruined my love of the franchise and lured by the idea of living within the SW universe. This was my first and last mmorpg, I just don't see the attraction at all, for instance I ventured out of the starting city and was attacked by a rabbit... Yes, a rabbit, not a mutant rabbit driven mad by radioactivity or some kind of futuristic space rabbit bristling with tusks, it was a small, soft bunnt rabbit. Well, I was a medium height man clad in space clothes, armed with a laser rifle, a shoe-in right? Well my guy fired wildly in all directions as bright eyes hopped towards me and consequently nibbled me to death. Yes, I died, killed by a small furry mammal that was unafraid of laser beams and rightly so, because if the population of that planet were all as wet as my guy then those rabbits may as well have been tyrannosaurus rexs.

I did try other areas but I was just soured by the whole affair. I would rather spend a day inside Darth Vader's leather y-fronts than another minute playing that game. I sold it on ebay in the end but the poor guy that bought it was refused an account and couldn't play it, it turned out that Sony linked your copy of the game to you once you registered and that was that, I contacted them about it but their support people just told me I shouldn't have sold it.

I bought Star Wars Galaxies, before the prequels had fully ruined my love of the franchise and lured by the idea of living within the SW universe. This was my first and last mmorpg, I just don't see the attraction at all, for instance I ventured out of the starting city and was attacked by a rabbit... Yes, a rabbit, not a mutant rabbit driven mad by radioactivity or some kind of futuristic space rabbit bristling with tusks, it was a small, soft bunnt rabbit. Well, I was a medium height man clad in space clothes, armed with a laser rifle, a shoe-in right? Well my guy fired wildly in all directions as bright eyes hopped towards me and consequently nibbled me to death. Yes, I died, killed by a small furry mammal that was unafraid of laser beams and rightly so, because if the population of that planet were all as wet as my guy then those rabbits may as well have been tyrannosaurus rexs.

I did try other areas but I was just soured by the whole affair. I would rather spend a day inside Darth Vader's leather y-fronts than another minute playing that game. I sold it on ebay in the end but the poor guy that bought it was refused an account and couldn't play it, it turned out that Sony linked your copy of the game to you once you registered and that was that, I contacted them about it but their support people just told me I shouldn't have sold it.

Yeah that was a mistake I made as well, this was my first MMO as well.. I ended up being a guild leader and Mayor of a player City of over 60 people.. had the shuttle port and everything... It was too much work.. 14 hour sitting on my days off, even had 6 hour sitting after getting out of work.. so I was running on little sleep, always tired.. always felt like I needed to check on things... it was horrible..

I sold it on ebay in the end but the poor guy that bought it was refused an account and couldn't play it, it turned out that Sony linked your copy of the game to you once you registered and that was that, I contacted them about it but their support people just told me I shouldn't have sold it.

Let's hope the fuckers go bust soon.

The people who ruined SWG and the people who exploit the wonderful world star wars 4, 5, 6, and a very few select games created in my mind and rightfully earned a place in my heart can eternally burn in a searing fire fuelled by the money they made off it.

I sold it on ebay in the end but the poor guy that bought it was refused an account and couldn't play it, it turned out that Sony linked your copy of the game to you once you registered and that was that, I contacted them about it but their support people just told me I shouldn't have sold it.

The fuck! Fucking corporate bastards!

You sir were attacked by the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog!

For me i wasted $60 on Star Wars Force Commander.

I loved Heroes of Might and Magic 3, so I preordered part 4 as soon as it was possible, and I sold it for half the price couple of days later. Some things were improved, but all the rest was pretty much the same or worse than in 3. In 3 each town had an unique look and feel, while in 4 I could barely distinguish one from another, despite the fact they had different colour themes :D .

The future is all about killing the used games market.

Id say my biggest mistake was atari 7800 crap game updates even worse controller.Then the master system and nes came out i could have cried.

The future is all about killing the used games market.
well, i don't see this happening too soon for some companies, particularly nintendo. i think a relatively large share of gamers would just stop buying games if they were unable to resell them as soon as they finished it. considering just how many used copies of games end up in second hand stores, it must be a lot of people. i think there are some people who are being more cautious about buying downloadable games like on steam too. i bought probably around 10 to 15 cheap games on steam during various sales but i just don't really play them all that much. i think we would sooner see a shift towards onlive streaming services for games than people accept buying a load of games they cannot resell or need to have sitting on hard drives all over the place. really though, i think those DRM situations will prove so unpopular that they just wont create sufficient financial return.

well, i don't see this happening too soon for some companies, particularly nintendo.
Wasn't there a discussion recently that the very first game which prohibits you from creating more than one player/game AND even resetting/deleting your game progress was the new Resident Evil for the 3DS?

Back