The Caring Corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fiancée is going to be going into physics. She says she wants to do something with her IQ of 154. She wants to feel as if she's making a difference in the world.

I am supportive but it's so alien to me. The world took a baton to my skull, so any notion of changing it or making a difference flew out the door long ago. Maybe I gave up maybe

I turned to writing so I didn't off myself or turn to hard drugs. My fiancée loves me dearly supports me heavily but I do feel trapped.

The only thing I enjoy in life, besides her,is my stories. Many of my materialistic pocessions really matter not.

I wish I could find a cheaper place to live. I honestly wish I could just dig a hobbit hole in the ground and write. I have come to detest money. Just getting started renting where I live costs 2k up front and this is the country. The cities are worse around me with rent prices making a mortgage look like a joke. Cheapest is 700 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. So including utilities I would have to start eating nothing but ramen and hunting down squirrels in the park.

Even then I do not have the money to pick up and go. I do not even know where I would go. Where I can go. If I leave my family they will never take me back. That's how messed up my situation is.

come up to fargo, where it's flat, windy, and cold, but there are potholes :D. sorry to hear your family is "my way or the highway." i did a lot of physics but went to the above occupation, though i have had one offer to teach (not sure that's what i want to do, though). my wife does engineering, which is an always in-demand type job, though that's not the most important thing! looking forward to reading one of your stories someday.

looking forward to reading one of your stories someday.

I just spent the whole day editing and trying to figure out my the genre of my story. When I started writing I wanted to write something different.

And now I'm stuck. My fiancée said back when reading it was more fantasy but now she says its like an 1800's sci-fi fantasy. It does fit into the steampunk genre but so loosely those who don't know steampunk would understand it.

So I have a picaresque inspired steampunk fantasy novel set in a world that seems as different as discworld, with the two main characters falling into at least five romance tropes.

So I'm stuck with a mostly first person narrated colorful steampunk fantasy inspired by turn of the century French and American writing style. A lore mixed with magic, sentient fantasy creatures and antiquated technology built from the ground up on an alien planet, where other planes of existence even come into play.

I would love to get it published but I fear I may have written myself into a bizarre corner. I have no idea what literary agent I should approach with this or what other stories are even close. What I read has been out of print for a century except for the Dresden Files, and a small handful of other books.

o_O Why must everything with me be complicated? Why I can't I just write a nice money grabbing YA vampire romance with 2D characters and a non existent plot!xD Oh right I'm a lunatic that's why!:p

Why I can't I just write a nice money grabbing YA vampire romance with 2D characters and a non existent plot!

I thought they'd fallen out of popularity in favour of pseudo BDSM novels? Mind you I have very little idea what is popular these days (God I sound old).

Edit: Here's an example to show that having a Tulpa isn't all fun and games. Lady M woke me up at 6am today so that I could read her some ghost stories.

Last edited:
So including utilities I would have to start eating nothing but ramen and hunting down squirrels in the park.

To me, that sound like a nice prospect.

Try not to worry about what may or may not happen if you leave: fear of unknowns are what prevent most of us from doing anything. If you're unhappy, and there's only one way out, then go for it. Deal with each moment as it comes, and you'll eventually find yourself in a better place.

Your family can't tell what's best for you, and parents frequently, unconsciously, prevent their offspring from moving on.

To me, it just sounds like you need to find that courage to make the leap.

Good luck.

I was having a jaunt around Youtube (as you do) and happened upon the following channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC059kFc5oApruDS2QFmZfeA. I thought I'd alert people to its existence because there's some interesting/potentially useful stuff on it. Anyway enjoy.

Edit:
Here's an example to show that having a Tulpa isn't all fun and games. Lady M woke me up at 6am today so that I could read her some ghost stories.

Just to balance things out with a good experience. After I finished reading I ended up falling asleep. I woke up to see Lady M sitting in a chair looking out of the window with the sun lighting up her face.

Last edited:
Fifty shades of sugar coated domestic abuse started its life out as a twilight fan fic. The quick things that get published or are on agents wish lists are absurd things. YA transgender fantasy, etc etc.

I do lack the courage the take the step because if I jump and leap. There's a heavy chance I'll miss the jump, smash my face into the side of the railing, and fall.

I've began to research publishing only to be more confused then when I started. As in everything I thought I knew just went out the window. I wish there was somebody I could talk too. :S

That seems to be a common theme in my life. A thought I knew is no longer true, so what else do I do?

Last edited:
Fifty shades of sugar coated domestic abuse started its life out as a twilight fan fic.
I get the feeling you may not be too fond of Secretary and the many older films and books. It really is a lovely film, and I think many that frequent this thread may appreciate it on a deeper level.

The only thing I remembered about that book was that it stayed out as Twilight fan-fic...somehow.

Apparently I was wrong about Secretary. Regardless, some of us are damaged, and rather than giving up or accepting that we can't be happy, just keep fighting, there are others out there that are more accepting. Maybe those you find will be dealing with their own shit, and together you can find your own happiness and way to live.

I never saw Secretary on tv. Lucky for me I found it (on Amazon) right after it was released on DVD, and purchased it myself. Also, there is much more to bring attractive to a potential mate than what is physically apparent. For me it is better that I feel I understand others and they understand me than that there is any sort of physical attraction. If you mean she is a shit actress, that may be true, I dunno, but there are many that are worse.

Apparently I was wrong about Secretary.

For me it is better that I feel I understand others and they understand me than that there is any sort of physical attraction.

If you mean she is a shit actress

I dare say I got more out of it than what I remember. Which isn't the rarest of occurrences.

I'm lucky enough to have all of that with Lady M, the only thing that is lacking is acceptance by society, but I don't care about that anyway.

Dunno. I don't think so though.

I'm lucky enough to have all of that with Lady M, the only thing that is lacking is acceptance by society, but I don't care about that anyway.
I am sure some people saw this coming: Fuck society. I feel it is more important to be happy and enjoy life while you can.

Let those that have a problem with how others spend their life fret over such unimportant things. Yes, it is easy to say and not so easy to live it.

I've began to research publishing only to be more confused then when I started. As in everything I thought I knew just went out the window. I wish there was somebody I could talk too. :S
I know some writers from the GOG community who published something on Amazon.

There's a heavy chance I'll miss the jump,
everybody-falls-the-first-time
The trick is to stand up, brush it off, and try again
[doublepost=1482955897,1482955572][/doublepost]
with the two main characters falling into
That is interesting already.
Yes, it is easier to read than write. And you seem to want to layer the wording so you can read it in multiple ways, interpret is differently, and make it an interesting topic to talk about. Just Do it.

I get the feeling you may not be too fond of Secretary and the many older films and books.

You'd be surprised. I do not like fifty shades of " the elevator whisked me away at terminal velocity." Because of the sexuality and bdsm elements. But rather how it protrays it. I'll leave it at that.

Let's just say that if I disliked the subject matter I would be the biggest hypocrite when it comes to writing. The link you posted for example interests me.

I joined a writers forum today. One that is large and seems to grasp the confusing thing that is the publishing industry.

I've spent these last past few days reflecting on my first story (rereading it catching errors and deleting things that are no longer true) and I see an alternate path I want to take with the second one. Considering I am 100 pages into the sequel this is quite an interesting proposition.

cool-introverted-facts-quotes.jpg

I recently decided to try and start taking photos again like I did when I was younger. I thought it would be something to distract me from the people around me while I'm outside of my house. Things seem to be going well so far. Also I seem to be leaving my house on occasion without being forced to, which is a novel experience.

I recently decided to try and start taking photos again like I did when I was younger. I thought it would be something to distract me from the people around me while I'm outside of my house. Things seem to be going well so far. Also I seem to be leaving my house on occasion without being forced to, which is a novel experience.
I liked the way I used to take photographs. I have never been one to snap pictures of anything and everything, so it would take me a little while to get through a roll of film. I want particularly picky about my cameras, however I did have some I preferred to use, not entirely sure why. Anyway, since photography has changed over the last couple decades I can't walk into a shop and have a choice of film. I also doubt the quality I would get from people developing my film (I never got around to doing it myself, despite having a little of the stuff). I also used to do Polaroids, and while that has managed not to entirely die I can't afford it anymore. The result is I no longer take pictures.

I don't go out socially (I am sure you get it), but I have been getting out a bit. Mostly regular stuff and running errands, and lots of playing taxi driver for family. I have been hanging out around the little bit of wildlife near where I live, and visiting geese (wow, I sound old). The only other fun stuff I am going out for is stopping by libraries and book stores. I was told the other day that one of my favorite used book stores recently went out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back