The Case

Would it be possible to get a current version case that was never painted?  Call it more environmentally correct 'natural' plastic.  I think that the discolorations would make it more interesting - and scratch/wear marks won't show up as black on silver.

I still would like to see what would come out of the mold machines if we were to take a gumball machine's worth of random multicolored  beads and feed them through the molds.  Every case would be different.  With any luck the colors would swirl and squish with minimal actual 'blending'.

hmmm, interesting, might I ask what type of paint you used?
Either use some good enamel paint that won't rub off or get a good paint with clear on it.

Just using normal paint will rub off.

Would it be possible to get a current version case that was never painted?  Call it more environmentally correct 'natural' plastic.  I think that the discolorations would make it more interesting - and scratch/wear marks won't show up as black on silver.

I still would like to see what would come out of the mold machines if we were to take a gumball machine's worth of random multicolored  beads and feed them through the molds.  Every case would be different.  With any luck the colors would swirl and squish with minimal actual 'blending'.
Nope, unless you would like to have 4000 of them :)

Get a silver case set and scratch it/polish it until it's black.

That's the best way to get a black housing that doesn't break any more.

Good idea - completely not worth the time involved.  At least not to me.

4,000 case minimum eh.  Hmm...  naw - can't do it.  :)

Good idea - completely not worth the time involved.  At least not to me.

4,000 case minimum eh.  Hmm...  naw - can't do it.  :)
Should not take that long.

Damn that blue looks good.

Okay so it looks like the old black cases aren't really a good option.

My next question is:

If I were to buy a case from DragonBox and paint it myself would I be able to send it back to you guys to fit it out with the 1ghz guts? or is this asking to much?
Should be possible.
I painted my silver one as well, btw ;)
Okay then, I have a (potentially silly?) follow-up question...

I may want to try this down the road (with my 1GHz model), or most likely, buy a new case and have you outfit it with a brand new Pandora (guts) purchase - after I paint it (like Trist06 suggested).  Is there any worry that additional painting might cause added thickness to the unit's alignment?  I was wondering this because I thought I read that the silver cases were painted on top of a black paint job, on top of the original plastic molding.  Now you're adding a third level of paint potentially...  As you are (ED) the resident expert on this topic, maybe you could give some advice?

I was just curious is all, because I thought I read some time ago that the silver paint job did add some extra thickness...it may have helped the friction/support by the screen-hinge some(?), or may have pushed the bezel out a few microns(?).  You of course know what you're doing, and if you've custom-painted your silver model and have no problems, then my worries are probably groundless - I was just curious, like I said...

P.S.  That blue Pandora DOES look good...(love the gold one too).   :)  <---(me envious)---

Ooops.  Just read this one ^ by Askarus.  That would probably solve any potential problems that I'd be trepidatious about...although seems like more work.  Where there is a will, there is a way.   ;)

Back