The Cyclist Thread

CCmachined

So, any other cyclists out there on gp32x?

Any speed / stamina / distance etc records people would like to share? :D

Not a cyclist myself, but do like to watch the odd Tour de France.

Wish I had a bicycle like this though...

500x_bikerear.jpg

Also this...

http://gizmodo.com/5447279/kolelinia-lets-you-ride-your-bicycle-over-the-air

Attachments

• 500x_bikerear.jpg
    500x_bikerear.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 65
I went to Sweden by bike once with my dad. 1000km in eight days including two days rest in south Sweden.

I had an odometer but then I did something or other and it broke. I don't really want a new one since it's just another battery / clock to keep track of (FUCK YOU DAYLIGHT SAVINGS), and I don't bike that much.

Also, my bike is a hand-me-down with squeaky front brake, inaccurate rear derailleur, no shocks, seat that tries extra-hard to give you impotency, etc. It works, but it's not very comfortable and it's always got some minor problem.

But I'm not committed enough yet to get a new one or spend dollars fixing and cleaning it.

I used to cycle lots. Did the Ride to Conquer Cancer their first year, but it was too difficult to raise the minimum donation amount that I didn't bother any other year. Last year maintenance caught up with me and my bike basically started falling apart. Needs some serious tune ups before I go out again this summer.

Orkie said:
Cyclists are the cause of the traffic jam I get stuck in every morning.

Why would you bother driving anywhere in Bath?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some friends and I cycle regularly during summer to the CBD from the suburb we live in around a 50km round trip if we go the scenic route on the bike paths. We arent the fittest bunch though and regularly stop for a smoke break. :D

I replaced my 12 year old mountain bike with a flat bar Giant bike this year and the difference is unbelievable.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/model/seek.3/5332/39065/

I used to bike to and from work every day from the moment the snow melted to the moment it came back again, but now I live close enough to work to walk, and since my gf also works in the same area we walk together. I still try and ride as much as I can in the spring/summer/fall and drive as little as possible. The commute was great though, the difference in time between bike and car wasn't huge, and for the first while I was surprised at how much less angry I was when I got to work. Less time spent sitting at lights waiting for traffic to crawl forward, screaming "IT'S A GREEN LIGHT FUCKING MOVE YOUR ASS" at the guy ahead of me. You'd be surprised at how much easier the work day is when you're not already pissed off the moment you walk in the door.

Nothing competitive, I just commute to and from work every day. Saying that though, there's a guy I unofficially race in the mornings - I don't like him because he cuts too close to pedestrians, so take great delight in blowing past him and cutting him up :)

It's a great way of shaking off hangovers before work, and seeing as I spend most of the day over-worked and sat on my arse, a handy stress reliever/leg stretcher afterwards.

I've got to fix mine soon I think. I've thought about switching to my bike (an old crescent travelbike) for trips to the city, which is about 15km one way. All of it is bikepaths luckily. The thing I hate about cycling is the fixing and tweaking, it's far too mechanical for me. What I mean is that there's too many moving parts and I find it complex. But I think I'll get the hang of it once I try enough many times.

Fair weather cycling for me. 30-odd k's round the moors at weekends.

Driving has ruined my 'go for it' style and I ride much more calmly now, but slower.
I also got a Giant SCR 3.0 which I find too light to push hard.

Back