The Different Gp32 Models?

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
I myself don't own a GP32 but I've been tossing around the idea of buying one from Ebay if the opportunity arises. With that being said, what are all the different models, what's the differences between them, and which is the best in your opinion? If you could list them from best to worst that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Th original GP32 was became known as the NLU because it has an unlit screen like the original Gameboy Advance. As a result you could only really use it outside or in a well lit room.

Next was the GP32 FLU, which has a front lit screen. The colours tend to be washed out a bit as is common with front lighting.

The GP32 BLU was next and has a backlit screen which has far better colour definition than the FLU.

Then last was the BLU+. This used a different display to the first BLU and initially caused some compatibility issues. However, these were very quickly resolved and pretty much everything other than the oldest (and abandoned by the developers) software work okay.

I would avoid the NLU unless you are only going to be playing the GP32 outside in the sunshine. The FLU is fine but the BLU and BLU+ are better. If you want to be able to run absolutely everything then I'd suggest you opt for a BLU if possible but to be honest I think you'd be just as well served with a BLU+.

john

GP32 family consists of NLU, FLU, BLU and BLU+. Check wikipedia for the differences.

The BLU is probably the best of the lot. The NLU is the worst as it gives you the least options in terms of lighting.
The FLU is a great choice too as it offers great out-door visibility and good indoor.
The BLU is best for indoor and low/no light use.

The FLU was an after market mod provided by another Korean company, GPH [edit] GamePark would send the units there themselves as far as I know.

A switch was mounted on the back of the unit internally and a small hole was made for access to the button. The light guide didn't fit 100% pushing the screen frame out a little and letting dust in and of course the dust would be very visible during use. Some people silly enough to open the unit to clean it would touch the light guide with their fingers scratching the ribs making it worse... :(

The FLU and NLU plastic screen had some kind of coating that gave everything a yellow tinge, some of the web shops provided real glass replacements you could fit yourself. On a FLU this pushed the frame out even more and if you didn't seal the unit properly more dust got in.

A NLU or FLU with original korean firmware is to be avoided as you needed a program called freeloader or was it freelauncher which was encrypted to use on only your GP32. Ye Olde #gp32 on efnet used to have a bot that could help you decrypt freeloader/launcher but that bot is long gone and your only hope is finding a cracked version on the net somewhere...

TL:DR? Get a BLU or BLU+ :D

I own NLU, FLU, BLU, BLU+.

For the most part I use an NLU, then an FLU, and lastly the BLU (or BLU+). This is my bias, and each to suffer their own.

An NLU with a glass screen protector gives a great display (very clear). An NLU, is under rated and a great buy. The only limitation is lighting, but do you only want to play / use, in low / no light (which is bad for your eyes in any case). If you like to emulate Gameboy, this unit is great (I am surprised that Nintendo Gameboy fans over look this device).

The FLU is the best all rounder night and day. The light transmitting screen does affect the clarity (but it is slight). You can switch off the light and use like an NLU, in normal light. Depending on the kwality of the fitment there may be some errors in the light transmission (you get used to it over time).

The BLU (and BLU+), is great for no / low light. You can like the FLU, turn the light off, but the screen is then very, very dull, and you will generally keep the light on (unless you listen to MP3 files). The screen display is bright, and the colours are vivid (expect some herring bone interference patterns on the display, this is normal and you don't notice them after a while). You may see some ghosting too (which is trivial).

More important than what unit to buy, is the condition the sold unit is in. You can follow a members advice to get a certain unit, and find yourself with a real lemon. Study the picture (or if not sufficient, request some more images). Shiny buttons indicate a lot of use (not always bad). Study the stick position the nearer to central position the better. Even though the screen protectors are replaceable you would rather not, so look for a clear screen, with next to no scatches to the tinting. Look for obvious signs of wear and damage, units are often dropped, and get scratched up. Make sure that the unit you buy has at least one card with it (**IMPORTANT**). Try your hardest to get a unit with next to no use (as indicated by the seller).

In the case of ebay check the sellers rating, never buy fom a seller with less than 98% rating. Always check that the item is not "no returns". Check to see if the payment for return postage is refunded if the item is indeed faulty. Always buy with paypal (even though the credit shows in the sellers account, paypal hold on to the money for 21 days - in case of refund).

Once you have your unit test it with fresh cells. If there is any cause for dissatisfaction of the purchase return the item immediately, and get a refund through paypal (the seller has no choice but to oblige).

If happy with the unit, get a damp cloth and give it a clean (you want to remove as much of the previous owner as you can - they can be quite stubborn). Pay close attention to the battery cover check that the "clip", is not cracked, if so super glue. Also there will be superficial cracks in a few place, I superglue, then rub down. The key caps on one of the buttons may have failed you may want to source replacements, or fabricate your own from what you have at home (i.e. I use Gamecube joypad parts - modified).

When the unit has been all cleaned up you can then proceed to setting the unit up. Back up the card(s) that came with the unit. On the older units (i.e. not BLU), the freelauncher was used. I replace all of these with "Slubman". From the GP32 section download the flashing software, and the firmware of your choice, on one of the cards that came with the unit, with enough room (both files are small - you may need to delete a game file or ROM to make space). Put the flashing software named "FW.FXE", in the "GPMM" folder. Then put the chosen firmware renamed "FW.(BIN)", in the root directory. You can run the firmware flasher, and follow the prompts (make sure the cells are fresh).

You may want to purchase additional SMC cards. I format the cards with the GP32 first, then with a card reader transfer files from the PC. Labels on cards are a good idea.

The main reason I use an NLU, is because this paticular unit has the best feel (out of 11 GP32 units I currently have), as every unit has a different feel. You will, and do get used to yours, but given the choice I always like to use the unit that has the right feel of the controls for me, never mind all this BLU+ is best. A point proved when I gave an NLU, to someone (to demonstrate a game), who then wanted a back lit display, so I then gave the BLU, then to be told the display was clearer on the NLU, and the controls were better too (which is why I gave that NLU unit in the first place).

Wow, thanks guys. I'm thinking Blu, so now I just have to wait for one to show up and hope I have the extra cash when it does! There's one on Ebay now but I'm not paying $250 for it even if it is brand new.

Glad you decided on a model. Good luck with finding one, and let us know when you do.

Forgot to mention the BLU units have a slightly better build quality with some of the components, I think it was in the switches.

EDIT: Your may want to check ebay UK, they come up cheap.

Asteroid said:
Glad you decided on a model. Good luck with finding one, and let us know when you do.

Forgot to mention the BLU units have a slightly better build quality with some of the components, I think it was in the switches.

EDIT: Your may want to check ebay UK, they come up cheap.

I used my NLU for ages and it was fine. The only reason I also got a BLU+ was that craigix had some that he was selling off for £60... That was a couple of years ago now so I doubt he still has any but you could always ask (if you can find him on the other board).

john

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone take a look at this one I found. It looks like there's something wrong with it's screen in the pic. What do you think? To me it looks like the screen is or is about to burn out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Console-Gp32-Blu-Dungeon-Guarder-/270549071888?pt=FR_SK_Jeuxvideoconsoles_Consoles&hash=item3efdfb3810

Edit : This was a double post - through some fluke I clicked and double posted!.

See below for time delayed double.

Looked at the unit.

From the picture I see what is generally a fairly good conditioned unit, and of course used.

The picture shows the usual dirt (from the previous owner). I could not see how the screen looks (i.e. any marks), as the angle shows light reflections (and the focus is fuzzy). All the visible controls seem okay (i.e. there positions indicate there is nothing wrong).

The price seems a little on the high side, and for this amount I would expect a very clean unit, with next to no use (from a private seller).

The seller is a trader, which explains the higher than normal price. They have a high transaction count (which shows they are possibly a box shifter), and a very respectable rating (which shows they can generally be relied upon). The seller advises that you can ask questions.

I would ask for more pictures from all sides including the back (they tend to get a bit scratched), and especially of the display with the unit on, and off. As with all devices like this you spend all your time looking at the display and you want to see it works well, and the screen has no scratches (for such a price). Also I would ask general questions about positive control movement (and that the stick hits diagonals easily), as well as no visible damage, and hidden (battery leaks). The postage cost would also need to be confirmed, as well as return, and refund arrangements.

If you go and look at the sellers shop you can see that they sell consoles, and looking at them you can see there is a mark up. Though I see that the amount this seller is asking is typical for a trader. As this person is in the business of consoles, I expect this unit to be a generally sound one, and not a lemon.

Would I recommend you buy this unit?. I would contact them ask questions and await answers, then make a lower offer (around €60), then wait for a response.

(When we buy something to a large degree it is based on emotion).

I would be quite happy to walk away if there was no discount, but the decision is yours, and you are your own judge of this, and I could not say anything if you paid the asking price, as even though I bargain hunt from private sellers, the GP32 is worth more than its' current market value.

To sum up I am only moaning about paying a little more for the unit, than my usual bargain price. The unit looks good enough. The picture is a little fuzzy, and shows a light reflection.

Good luck with your decision.

That's what that rainbow colored line is, just some light reflecting off of it? I've seen some old crt's and flatscreens with similar looking things after they had fizzled out. I think I'll wait for the next one if they won't come down in price a little. I've seen them in the $80 range before so I'm sure more will show up sooner or later. Thanks Asteroid, I appreciate all your help!!!

I have since put the unit on my ebay watched list (so far over 500 other people have looked at it which is a very high count). There are 8 days to go.

If your happy from the answers to your questions from the seller, and will make a lower offer let me know how much, and when you do. I can then make a much lower silly offer to make yours look good (the seller will most likely be in the trade but not stumble here on GP32X forums - wiki will probably be his source for info). Then we shall wait and see.

EDIT: Yes that long vertical line split into two is a light reflection, and the small one at 45°, is a reflection from a greasy finger / thumb print.

Asteroid said:
I have since put the unit on my ebay watched list (so far over 500 other people have looked at it which is a very high count). There are 8 days to go.

If your happy from the answers to your questions from the seller, and will make a lower offer let me know how much, and when you do. I can then make a much lower silly offer to make yours look good (the seller will most likely be in the trade but not stumble here on GP32X forums - wiki will probably be his source for info). Then we shall wait and see.

EDIT: Yes that long vertical line split into two is a light reflection, and the small one at 45°, is a reflection from a greasy finger / thumb print.
Well, looks like I'll have to hold off on buying one of these for now. Realized last night that my Cyclods flashcart and 16g mem card that were in my DS lite were stolen. That's about $120 right there so now I have to replace those. Unfortunately, I can't afford both at the moment but seriously, thanks for all your assistance!

Really sorry to hear about your loss. I would be eagle eyed from now on. Hope that the person that did it is not a close friend.

There are plenty GP32 floating around, sure you will find one, when the time is right.

We can wait for you to join our little fold a little longer.

I've wanted a GP32 for years (just look at when I joined the forum) but never really had the spare cash. I was doing one of my usual random searches for cheap stuff on ebay, and found an NLU with 20 minutes left - the only GP32 on ebay. I just won it for a mere £17.16 posted! Awesome!

I've never even really used one - my friend bought a FLU years ago after I told him about it, and before the GP2X came out, but I've more or less just held it for a few minutes and given it back.

Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120742788154

It looks in good condition - the only slightly worrying thing is that he does not accept returns.

Now I just need to get an SMC and start choosing stuff to install!

EDIT: has anyone tried using an xD to SMC adapter as this looks to be a cheaper route?... SMC cards are more than I paid for the GP32!

EdCa22 said:
EDIT: has anyone tried using an xD to SMC adapter as this looks to be a cheaper route?... SMC cards are more than I paid for the GP32!

Yup, I've got one of those. :)

Just bear in mind that whatever card you use, you won't be able to access more than 128mb, since that's the largest size the SMC convention supports. I bought a 128mb XD card to use with my adapter, just to be safe (and so I wouldn't have any wasted space).

jmetal88 said:
EdCa22 said:

Yup, I've got one of those. :)

Just bear in mind that whatever card you use, you won't be able to access more than 128mb, since that's the largest size the SMC convention supports. I bought a 128mb XD card to use with my adapter, just to be safe (and so I wouldn't have any wasted space).

Great, I have one on order! I'm slightly concerned about it sticking out of the top, but it's still worth it I think.

The GP32 arrived this morning... I'm stoked, it's in really good condition, in fact it looks barely used - no scratches or scuff marks on the screen or anywhere else, keys all in perfect condition. It's a little bit dirty in places, so I need to do a thorough clean, but other than that it's mint. It also has stock firmware... I read somewhere this makes it difficult to update - is this true? I hope not :S

Of course I can't do anything yet anyway, because I don't have any smart media cards.

What kind of USB cable can I use? This came with literally no accessories!

Umm... It's kind of hard to explain the proper USB cable, as the connector never actually became a standard (even though it wasn't GP32 exclusive, since I have a digital camera that uses the same cable).

OK, I think I found it. This plug looks exactly right - they're calling it a 'hirose'. Other sites have a similar connector they're calling the 'mini 4p'. The hirose looks closer, to me (although one site sells a 'mini 4p hirose').

http://www.vpi.us/cgi-bin/vpi/usbam-usbm4-h.html

That's just an adapter, but I'm sure there are full cables out there somewhere.

Oh, and I feel I should mention, you'll find file transfer much more pleasant if you use a card reader rather than the GP32 with a USB cable (although the cards tend to work better if formatted via the GP32).

Regarding the formatting thing, I found the easiest solution for me was to boot up the Slubman firmware and choose the format option from the main menu there. That way, I didn't have to hook up to my computer before I formatted cards. There's a firmware file in the archives that allows you to store whatever firmware you want to boot as a bin file on your SMC in case you want to switch between various firmwares without re-flashing.

Back