The Emperor's New Gp32?

frank380

Still Fresh
Er...Is that it?.

Sorry to be a party-pooper and poop your party, but isn't the GP2x just a GP32 in a cheap black dress instead of a cheap white one? Forgive me if that offends any sensitive fanboys out there, but as an owner of a psp and nintendo ds - like many of you I'm sure - this still looks even more embarrassingly like the poorer cousin, and doesn't even appear to have the saving grace of any new tricks up its sleeve.

I've had mine for a week or so, and I can't say with any assurance that it's any faster or improved next to my dusty old GP32. OK, a better screen (couldn't be any worse, could it), a slightly better analogue stick, slightly better shoulder buttons, and more than a slight feeling of deja vu.

OK, this time the interface hasn't been designed for 7-year-olds, as it was with that weird Korean firmware that came as standard on the GP32. Wa-hey.

And as for the 'scene' that awaits the newbie like me - I have to say it's intensely frustrating. Perhaps it comes down in part to my own technical inadequacy - I'm prepared to acknowledge this, yes - but I've had even less success with the emulators I've installed than I had on the last machine last time round, no joy at all with the SNES emulator (after slavishly following the instructions), the NES emulation is EVERY BIT as sluggish and ropey as it was on the GP32 and....please, someone, enlighten me...where the hell are the files that would enable me to actually play some of these games for which only the, er, frontends are provided. I've managed to get Quake up and running, as I have Doom, finally. But what about ScummV, anyone?

But maybe it's just me. If so, I'm sorry, but I can't shake off the feeling that the 'x' stands for 'eXactly the bloody same.' The next one'll be called GP-QuantumLeap(tm) and it'll have a rechargable battery. It'll cost 200 quid.

And it'll be SLIGHTLY better.

Two words. Neo. Geo.

Also, it has SDs and a movie player. And NES & SNES are good, maybe you don't have the right version.

To be honest, after reading your post. You seem like a PSP DS kind of person. I really hate explaining whats so great about the GP2X to normal people. It's so futile.

But it's easy for me to think that. I've been here since day one reading every little bit of information. It was never difficult for me. NeoGeo took me about a few days to figure out, but the rest was simple.

EDIT: btw, you liked the stick? That's the thing that annoys me the most.

How long did it take the gp32 to get where it is now? (good emulators, lots of impressive homebrew, ...)

Now, how long has the gp2x been out?

NeoGeo Arcade, MAME, Dr.MD, TV out (!), Proper movie decoding chips, Linux (!), the ability to turn it into a full computer (!), only £125, etc. etc.

In other words open your eyes a bit more.

I'm sure when you see the Neogeo emu (make sure you get the MMU version) running you will change your mind and start to explore a bit more.

PS it's a digital stick.

I....what?

What firstly struck out to me in your post is the comment on the screen. I hate to call people flat out wrong. But you're flat out wrong. The gp2xs screen is one of the nicest I've seen on any handheld. The PSPs might be big but suffers from bad ghosting. But the DS lites is lovely.

I can't see how you could have problems with SNES emus. Put the gpe in a folder and put the roms in a folders called.....roms. and change the rom folder settings from the menu.

ScummV is an Interpreter for old Lucasarts graphic adventure games. It isn't a game its self. You need lucasarts game files to run it.

You seem pretty technically inept from your post. If you had major troubles with the 32 you should have thought harder weither you would have had better luck with the 2x. It's a linux handheld. Linux ain't the most user friendly thing on the planet.

NeoGeo emulation is the bombshit on the 2x and rage2x makes it pretty easy to set up. Give it a shot.

You have a point there Vimacs :lol:... I mainly said that to give this person the benefit of the doubt... If he has nothing to sell he has nothing to complain about and that would make him a troll... We may all have to use the protection spell of ig-nore :eek:

Er...Is that it?.
Woo it starts!

this still looks even more embarrassingly like the poorer cousin, and doesn't even appear to have the saving grace of any new tricks up its sleeve.
I think he's pissed for the lack of glossy finish. Well, see, not everyone has the class of the iPod & CO.

I've had mine for a week or so, and I can't say with any assurance that it's any faster or improved next to my dusty old GP32.
Try Quake2X and DrMDx foir some quick benchmarking against GPQuake and DrMD on the GP32.

OK, a better screen (couldn't be any worse, could it), a slightly better analogue stick, slightly better shoulder buttons, and more than a slight feeling of deja vu.
The screen is very nice I agree, but you should have seen the latest GP32 builds, the BLU and the BLU+. Those screens were decent to say the least, I suspect your GP32 was a FLU. As Craig said, the stick is digital (and how ;)), and again I must agree with you that it has much better shoulder buttons than the 32.

OK, this time the interface hasn't been designed for 7-year-olds, as it was with that weird Korean firmware that came as standard on the GP32. Wa-hey.
Yep that's quite a plus, but you should also check out the firmware for the GP32 BLU onwards, it's similar in concept and looks fairly professional.

no joy at all with the SNES emulator (after slavishly following the instructions)
A flaming bag that actually reads instructions! This calls for applause!

the NES emulation is EVERY BIT as sluggish and ropey as it was on the GP32
If you still have your GP32, give LittleJohn a try, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

and....please, someone, enlighten me...where the hell are the files that would enable me to actually play some of these games for which only the, er, frontends are provided. I've managed to get Quake up and running, as I have Doom, finally. But what about ScummV, anyone?
You need the full game files to play them because they're commercial titles. In the case of Quake and Doom, shareware packs were made available by ID software and can be found very quickly with a quick Google search. Why clutter the archives with shareware files that can be found on a thousand other sites?

I'm tired, move to LOL files!, you know you want to.

- Alex

The main reason someone looking on casually see's over similarity is due to to the open source nature of both systems. Imagine if the DS and PSP were open source; they would quickly have a library of similar ports.

In the case of the GP2X, you have to look beyond those ports and see which direction it can go.
All the same, thank god we have those ports!

mojo posted on Aug 27 2006 at 12:09 PM said:
Er...Is that it?.

Sorry to be a party-pooper and poop your party, but isn't the GP2x just a GP32 in a cheap black dress instead of a cheap white one? Forgive me if that offends any sensitive fanboys out there, but as an owner of a psp and nintendo ds - like many of you I'm sure - this still looks even more embarrassingly like the poorer cousin, and doesn't even appear to have the saving grace of any new tricks up its sleeve.

I've had mine for a week or so, and I can't say with any assurance that it's any faster or improved next to my dusty old GP32. OK, a better screen (couldn't be any worse, could it), a slightly better analogue stick, slightly better shoulder buttons, and more than a slight feeling of deja vu.

And as for the 'scene' that awaits the newbie like me - I have to say it's intensely frustrating. Perhaps it comes down in part to my own technical inadequacy - I'm prepared to acknowledge this, yes - but I've had even less success with the emulators I've installed than I had on the last machine last time round, no joy at all with the SNES emulator (after slavishly following the instructions), the NES emulation is EVERY BIT as sluggish and ropey as it was on the GP32 and....please, someone, enlighten me...where the hell are the files that would enable me to actually play some of these games for which only the, er, frontends are provided. I've managed to get Quake up and running, as I have Doom, finally. But what about ScummV, anyone?

But maybe it's just me. If so, I'm sorry, but I can't shake off the feeling that the 'x' stands for 'eXactly the bloody same.' The next one'll be called GP-QuantumLeap(tm) and it'll have a rechargable battery. It'll cost 200 quid.

And it'll be SLIGHTLY better.
Actually I totally get what the GP2X is all about, and Yes I have a PSP which I got a lot of fun out of, but it's now gathering dust on a shelf.

I'm presently hooked on playing Bubsy on Picodrive, and I'm still developing my game Myriad. Now there's something you can't easily do on the PSP, write your own game :rolleyes: .

SNES on the GP2X is now fullspeed, and I love playing the Addams Family on it.

The screen on the 2X is in my oppinion better than the PSP, You don't get any of that ugly ghosting, which I assume is down to the refresh rate on the PSP's TFT being slower than the 2X's. Oh and I have 2 dead pixels on my PSP which when I tried to get that sorted I was told that a few dead pixels were within the tolerance level so go away!

If I was you I would give the GP2X a chance before writing it off. Things are really happening for it and I am sure it will continue to grow in many directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back