GP2X The F200 Telnet Problem

I can try that when I get my connector.

However, I thought all this 'gadget' support was provided by the NetChip, not the SOC - so wouldn't some new drivers be needed on the gp2x to make it work like the old netchip?

Suppose we'll find out when is does its USB enumaration...

Just wired it up - no luck.

I connected:

ext 11 - USB 2 (D-)
ext 12 - USB 3 (D+)
ext 13 - USB 4 (GND)

Neither Vista or Ubuntu6.10 did anything when I plugged it in - suggesting that the ARM hadn't even bothered enabling the USB circuit.

I haven't got a RS232 level shifter handy to test serial comms.

deluded said:
Just wired it up - no luck.

I connected:

ext 11 - USB 2 (D-)
ext 12 - USB 3 (D+)
ext 13 - USB 4 (GND)

Neither Vista or Ubuntu6.10 did anything when I plugged it in - suggesting that the ARM hadn't even bothered enabling the USB circuit.

I haven't got a RS232 level shifter handy to test serial comms.
Ok, I missed your post about doing this.

At best what you just connected was a USB device on the MMSP2 SoC that has no driver in user space, does not seem to work correctly in hardware anyway and most definitely does not have a Gadget stack. In simple terms your onto a looser unless your happy to code a driver and debug it ;). The lack of drivers was the reason GPH used the NetChip on the F100's in the 1st place. I don't believe that MagicEyes even use the MMSP2 USB client device on there reference board designs, that should speak volumes.

Why not just wire up the USB host with a filter and RS232 then just connect say a USB eth. adaptor and see what the V4 kernel makes of it via the serial output. Just steal a level shifter from some old USB <> Serial lead or something ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going on a comment that squidge made - on the off chance that it would work!

Maybe the open2x firmware could add support for it one day - I don't know enough about that, but I do know from experience that implementing USB stacks is a pain.

My plan is to impllement USB host / rs232 - just forgot to borrow the bits I need from work.

deluded said:
Maybe the open2x firmware could add support for it one day - I don't know enough about that, but I do know from experience that implementing USB stacks is a pain.
Unlightly that I will add support to Open2x to be honest, why do you think I went to the effort to find out it was a pain and potentially faulty in the 1st place ;).

The other snag is that VERY few people would have the port anyway as the GPH BoB/Cradle lacks the port. If I get my hands on an F200 at some point i'll get something going with USB Host <> Eth. <> Dev PC.

Got serial working no probs...

Dunno if this is of any interest to anyone...

CODE

U-Boot 1.0.0 (Sep 10 2007 - 21:07:23)

U-Boot code: 03E00000 -> 03E49FA4 BSS: -> 03E82B70
IRQ Stack: 03ea3b6c
FIQ Stack: 03ea4b6c
DRAM Configuration:
Bank #0: 00100000 63 MB
Flash: 0 kB
NAND:probing at 0x9c000000
Flash chip found:
Manufacturer ID: 0xEC, Chip ID: 0x76 (Samsung K9F1208 64Mb)
1 flash chips found. Total nand_chip size: 64 MB
Get Environment from NAND offset 0x70000 ...
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x1a0000, size 0x40000 ... 262144 bytes read: OK

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x80000, size 0xb0000 ... 720896 bytes read: OK
### main_loop: bootcmd="bootm"
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
## Booting image at 01000000 ...
Image Name: GP2X Linux Kernel
Created: 2007-10-08 9:22:48 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 673304 Bytes = 657.5 kB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

Starting kernel ...

MMC/SD Card Detected
Partition check:
mmcsda: p1
Register SD: 1964MsB
mount...1
mount...2:
INIT: version 2.84 booting
<7>**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3268:0
Started device management daemon v1.3.25 for /dev
<7>**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3844:0
MSDOS FS: IO charset utf8
Touch driver open
Touch calibration
Apply LCD Timing
****nStatus : 1

read pointercal value
write pointercal value
Set CPU Clock...(-1)
SDL Quit...
close..... touch
EXIT
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
[root@gp2x root]$ls
start.sh
[root@gp2x root]$cd /
[root@gp2x /]$ls
bin home mnt root usr
dev lib opt sbin var
etc lost+found proc tmp
[root@gp2x /]$

Do you have file transfer working over the link? I used to do things like this with Z modem protocol from a Unix/Linux box after connecting with "cu" from UUCP. What software are you using to connect on the serial port and from what system are you doing it, "inquiring minds want to know".

Gary Miller said:
Do you have file transfer working over the link? I used to do things like this with Z modem protocol from a Unix/Linux box after connecting with "cu" from UUCP. What software are you using to connect on the serial port and from what system are you doing it, "inquiring minds want to know".
I haven't tried to transfer files, but I think it's possible (but slow).

I use cu from UUCP in a Linux machine :)

Gary Miller said:
What deluded has hooked up is simply serial. All GP2X's have the console UART on the EXT port.

deluded, boot info interesting thanks.

Transferring files over that UART is a total bitch as you would have to filter out all the chatter that comes from that fact all console traffic is sent there. Then there is the dire transfer rates (it's not nice, when we all started hacking on the GP2X pre-release Kermit and the serial port is all we had, painfull ;)).

The logical extension of this is to add USB host and get a USB <> Eth. device going and use that for file transfer whilst keeping the serial as a very handy debug port :D.

Or, if you have a couple of usb bluetooth dongle's already, you should be able to connect to the 2x over that.

Ethernet is the way to go though for sure, and you only need one of them.

I did this hooking a FTDI USB - RS232 TTL cable up - but you would get exactly the same using a MAX232 or the cradle. Just used Putty on windows. The wiki has all the info you need.

USB network is the next step.. :)

Can you remote debug over TCP/IP?

One thing I noticed, it spends quite a bit of boot time trying to mount SD card 2(!)... I wonder if we can modify a config filte somewhere to remove that...

In the past we justed used rz/rz/ to move data over the serial connection (I still have the code) but with the extra charcaters coming out it would be difficult to use. I have a number of USB to serial adapters that could be used to add a serial port and then the transfer could be done using kermit / uucp / rz/sz or some other method. The speed would not be great but it can be done. Just a thought ....

BTW: You could use gdb remote serial or TCP debugging from another machine. I use the ARM debugger for the GBA / DS to debug code on the GP2X over the USB/TCP connection for my GP2X F100 MK2.

deluded said:
One thing I noticed, it spends quite a bit of boot time trying to mount SD card 2(!)... I wonder if we can modify a config filte somewhere to remove that...
It probably isn't taking a long time, there is likely no echos to indicate it has moved onto something different. As for trying to speed up the boot time - it's a lost cause on the GPH firmware. You'd have to rewrite all the bootscripts from scratch as well as the menu, by which time you may as well go the step further and replace all the libs (i.e. Open2x).

Gary Miller said:
BTW: You could use gdb remote serial or TCP debugging from another machine. I use the ARM debugger for the GBA / DS to debug code on the GP2X over the USB/TCP connection for my GP2X F100 MK2.
Sounds like a plan :)

Will try to pick up a cheap network adapter and give it a try.

DJWillis said:
Transferring files over that UART is a total bitch as you would have to filter out all the chatter that comes from that fact all console traffic is sent there.

Only following this thread very indifferently, but is there any mileage in getting PPP going on the serial?
I know I've used this in the past on projects that had only a serial connection so I could emulate an ethernet connection.
Just thought I'd throw it in as an idea if no-one else has mentioned it; apologies if this has been thrown out already B)
Obviously bandwidth is still limited.

kevcal said:
Only following this thread very indifferently, but is there any mileage in getting PPP going on the serial?
I know I've used this in the past on projects that had only a serial connection so I could emulate an ethernet connection.
Just thought I'd throw it in as an idea if no-one else has mentioned it; apologies if this has been thrown out already B)
Obviously bandwidth is still limited.
None what so ever ;). You still have to filter out the console from the serial and you have USB host pins about 1mm away from the serial pins so you may as well use them to get you a TCP connection :D.

Don't forget the official cradle has both Serial and USB host on it along with other stuff. Hard to see somebody putting the effort (and kernel tweaks for console etc.) into getting PPP going.

The fact of the matter is simple, no matter how you cut it you will not get the out of the box USB eth. and like you got with the F100. Anything to get TCP/IP onto the F200 is going to be a cost/hassle option one way or another :D. Not to mention the fact that rebuilding the FW4 kernel without source is not really going to happen so even getting drivers for USB eth. on there will be fun ;).

Can't I just put the wireless tools on that someone has done?

FW4 certainly has quite a few references to networks in it when I was snooping around last night.

I'll hopefully get ext USB up tonight - and I have a USB wireless dongle that might be the right chipset.

Back