The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open To All

fade

Website
Visit site
Prize Fund Now up to: $423

I know a lot of us bought N900's whilst waiting for our Pandora's, so, I thought I should announce that there's a coding competition just kicked off at Maemo.org specifically for the N900!

The prize fund is currently mounting daily, and Nokia have also offered a prize to the winner of each category of an invitation to the MeeGo Conference 2010 in Dublin, Ireland, with travel and accommodation covered. If someone can't make it then they'll be offered an N900 in exchange.

Some info from the competition thread..

Introducing the first ever N900 Coding Competition!

maemo_comp_header.jpg

"If you are new to programming or want to learn, here's the excuse to finally make something. Anything. Even particularly crap or stupid apps are welcome. :)

Qt, PyQt, PyGTK, whatever language you like as long as it's functionally complete, and runs safely and easily on the N900.

There are 6 main categories for judging:

1. Desktop
2. System & Utilities
3. Games
4. Graphics & Multimedia
5. Location & Navigation
6. Other

The winning application(s) will be decided by forum poll after the closing date of July 21st, 2010. Good luck and most of all, have fun!"

If you've got anything in the pipeline for the Pandora, maybe you could adapt it to also enter the competition!

For further details and registration, check out the competition's thread below, the opening post will be updated with more info on details and prizes etc very soon.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53112

Coding competition Wiki Link

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Coding_Competition_1

New to n900 development?
There is a thread is in the 'Developer' section at maemo.org, with plenty of posts in it for newbies to get started. Whatever your development platform of choice (Qt, Python, etc) you'll find something to get you started. This thread is a great place to start and will have you coding your first app in minutes - Windows Python and Qt in 30 mins, and here's a link to a tutorial from Linuxuser.co.uk. There's also more great wiki links in this recent thread What do I need to start developing applications?. The key is to get started, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Beginners are definitely welcome in this comp, even the crumbiest "Hello World." Great oaks from little acorns grow..

fade said:
"If you are new to programming or want to learn, here's the excuse to finally make something. Anything. Particularly crap or stupid apps are welcome. :)
No wai!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back