The Game of Likes (Split from some thoughts thread) (Update)

Guys...

You've turned this fair rant about the community on these boards into a war for/against the "like" button.

You've partially proved Ziz was right in his rant...
Yes, in fact I thought I leave the board, but subscribe some threads so I don't overlook any useful feedback. This worked quite well for the Hase thread. But I will unfollow this thread with it's random pointless discussion - I didn't want to swap the board spam for e-mail spam...
Huh, a moderator could move all these posts into a separate thread, and then it could be continued there. Please "Report" this comment of mine if you think that that should be done. I'm probably about the last person to want a thread to not stay strictly on topic.
I have to say that I really have no clue though why you two would think that this discussion doesn't belong exactly here, since ignoring the "Likes" system for a while could potentially be one of the most easy ways of solving the things which Ziz talked about (for various reasons, which I'd like to explain). I'd be happy if we could talk about this further.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I really have no clue though why you two would think that this discussion doesn't belong exactly here, since ignoring the "Likes" system for a while could potentially be one of the most easy ways of solving the things which Ziz talked about (for various reasons, which I'd like to explain). I'd be happy if we could talk about this further.
I disagree. I for one like "likes". it doesnt clutter a thread, yet you get appreciations for your work. Even better the cost for feedback is reduced. In this period of few feedbacks having a system that lower the cost of feedback isnt bad.I prefer havin 5 "likes" but no comments to 2 "cool" comments in my threads. As a bonus, if you get a post it's probably a bug repport or a feature request. either way something to work on.

One thing we could potentially do with a "likes" system is get a synopsis of important posts in a thread, if we are in a hurry. e.g. "show only posts with 3 or more likes"... This thread specifically could be cut down to size!

I like "Like": like like likers before me have said, it helps to avoid "+1" posts.

The only thing is: the author of a post typically does not even notice that his post is getting liked, because (afaik) there is no notification system, so unless you re-read your own posts at regular intervals, you generally don't know when people are agreeing with you. That's kind of a pity, since it means some potential positive energy is evaporating instead of arriving at the one who deserves it.

I also like DREDD's idea to filter posts based on number of likes. In some long threads that could really help to get condensed versions of the "highlights" of a discussion. Especially for someone like ED that could help a lot when going through the hell pits of the keyboard layout threads.

I get notification on Liked post with Tapatalk.

But sometimes, Like is fine. But sometime, a Like is not enough and some comment is also needed. The problem is that the "Like this" button make people more lazy. You can just like (or +1) and don't explain why.

For me (using the Pyra theme) it's just 'noticications' (the icon to the left of your name at the top), the 'options' on the drop down that produces.  That gets you to the place where you can choose to be notified of likes, and can save those options.  Thanks Strigoi, I wasn't aware of that option before!

Oh my god!  I've never seen a thread that has so many Likes like this thread.  Everyone is liking everyone else in this thread which is unheard of.  For example, people even Like Striku aka Strigoi in this thread  :) No worries ED, this thread may just have brought back and saved the OpenPandora Boards. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes seem pretty harmless to me. It's a nice little feeling to show your post was appreciated or reciprocated. Not really a huge thing, and not something that would drive what I do or don't post. Sometimes they're also useful in acting as kind of an informal mini-poll, to see whether or not an idea you have has any kind of resonance with people.

I doubt a lot of the likes would have been insightful replies if the option wasn't there. If people have something more to say why would they not want to?

One thing I don't miss at all are dislikes (at least I seem to remember them being here for a while before enough people complained and got them removed)

I get notification on Liked post with Tapatalk.

But sometimes, Like is fine. But sometime, a Like is not enough and some comment is also needed. The problem is that the "Like this" button make people more lazy. You can just like (or +1) and don't explain why.
i do understand what you are trying to say, but it's hardly the fault of the like button.

the button is a feature to show that you do agree with something/someone without wanting to add further content (in order to NOT derail the thread - which is a good thing, dont you think?).

If you specifically want ppl to test stuff and give proper feedback, you should prolly just ask for exactly that in your innitial post.

srsly, i dont see how banishing the like button could make you all feel better all of a sudden.

i think it's just a misunderstanding. you want more/better feedback? stop waiting for it. demand it!

One thing I don't miss at all are dislikes (at least I seem to remember them being here for a while before enough people complained and got them removed)
I'm fairly certain there was never a dislike button implemented here. I seem to recall that there was discussion about it, but the arguments against it were fairly strong.
- Neelix

Back