The Game of Likes (Split from some thoughts thread) (Update)

One thing I don't miss at all are dislikes (at least I seem to remember them being here for a while before enough people complained and got them removed)
I'm fairly certain there was never a dislike button implemented here. I seem to recall that there was discussion about it, but the arguments against it were fairly strong.

- Neelix
I thought I spotted it for a short while?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like DREDD's idea to filter posts based on number of likes. In some long threads that could really help to get condensed versions of the "highlights" of a discussion. Especially for someone like ED that could help a lot when going through the hell pits of the keyboard layout threads.
I am strongly opposed to such as system, especially as there is no way to counteract that (aka "dislike") - this would be an easy way to diminish unpopular ideas or sentiments > not every idea is bad just because it isn't popular
but it's hardly the fault of the like button.
Christops idea is that it is indeed partially the fault of that particular button (and I share his opinion on this):Humans are lazy, thus if they have the opportunity to show something the "easy" way, then they will use it unless they have a strong negative reaction in that topic. This can lead to several "problems":

• it can conceal threads from the mechanisms of this board to bring topics to board members attention. Think of ptitseb posting news about a new - much apprechiated - port, which just works, and a lot of people likeing it and showing their appreciation by pressing the like button. As the like mechanisms has no real visual representation on this board (other than a more or less invisible link on the bottom of the page), news about his new port will quickly loose attention, as there is only one post in the same subsection necessary to hide his post
  • it can conceal knowledge about who is actually "participating" in a discussion due to its position and the mechanism, that it hides usernames after three likes
  • it can limit a threads "discussion -potential" when several interested users are only semi-active thus not really contributing to the thread
One thing I don't miss at all are dislikes (at least I seem to remember them being here for a while before enough people complained and got them removed)
I'm fairly certain there was never a dislike button implemented here. I seem to recall that there was discussion about it, but the arguments against it were fairly strong.
- Neelix
I think I remember something similar, which was abused rather quickly after it was introduced thus ED made sure it had a short life on this board.

huh... I had too, though it's not midnight here yet. I wonder if that resets at a specific time or is based on number of likes in the the last 24 hours...

- Neelix

I didn't even know there WAS a limit.
Man, you are stingy! Wow... instead of using the Like button, I actually see you posting real text, giving more details to "Like" (I agree, It was useful information, I lol'ed, virtual pat on the shoulder, etc).

I wish sometimes there were more smileys emoticons that could express such things... ^_^ what about embedding picture... hold on... I can do that too!

Photo0091.jpg

ps: I would have "liked" your post. But I am out of likes for today.

@Strigoi: shouldnt it be more like this:   ++$like; or ++$lol; or ++$useful; or ++$meh; or ++$eww; etc

Comradekingu presents, a post without the use of smileys.

Thatgui: I think you are underestimating the community if you think what will happen is a collective effort to push unpopular opinions away. If this board does anything, its grab any opinion that isnt popular and bring attention to it.

Slashdot type conversation is effortless to get into. Nothing is hidden, its more that informative and good stuff is brought to light. Discourse is my favourite forum for this reason. No need for splittin g threads as things are much more organic.
Down with moderators!

There were +1/-1 buttons and posts had a score. It was in the old days when Craig was active.
Craig didn't need the dislike button though, he just gave out warning points for the same effect.

Speaking of Craig, he should come back and then the boards might come a blaze!
I could almost see him making another post here as if nothing ever happened. Would be amusing to see the reaction for sure.

wasn't he asking for order number when serious disagreements occurred?

Back