GP2X The Gp2x Bounty - Make Your Wishlist Here!

OrR, as I said in the first post, this is still in idea form - but obviously given the support the thread has, and the support for a better and more functional media player, i'm going to have to consider getting this Bounty Project up and running. We still havn't had any volunteers by a gp2x guru to handle the donation side of things, so unless that's sorted, or people don't trust me to do it, then nothing can go ahead i'm afraid.
There's still a lot to be worked out.

First, as I have stated previously, I actually favor a pledge system backed up with personal information as opposed to an escrow. Note that in a pledge system it would not be allowed to retract a pledge, just that the money wouldn't have to be paid until the bounty conditions were met.

But whatever way it is done, any particular bounty needs a lot more than we have now before it can even really exist:

1: Clear success criteria. You can't just say "great controls and options" unless you appoint somebody to judge what is "great" who is going to be trusted by both a hardworking developer and the people putting up their cash.

2: A method of deciding when the success criteria are met.

3: A method of dealing with (2) when weird things occur like judges dying or whatever.

We're a long ways away from being stuck on figuring out who should hold the money -- weeks at least.

Yes, good point, I should have included the finer details in the other thread - i'll see if I can update it tonight.

This should really be a team project. I think we'd need the following:

A developer with good programming knowledge, and two other "judges", as well as people willing to be backups if anyone went AWOL. Experience and knowledgable GP2X users would be essential. Program criteria should be discussed on a case by case basis with other team members, and also with the community when discussing the likely bounty candidate. The only problem I see is team communication, I supose it could be done with a live chat program like MSN messenger, but it'd be great if there as a member-only forum section where matters could be discussed with the entire group, as e-mail wouldn't do well in this situation, and nor would live chat if one member or two were offline.

I totally agree with your pledges idea, and backing it up with contact details is a good idea, but i'm still a little concerned that people arn't going to follow through with it once the bounty is sent to the developer - what if people made pledges just to get the program developed? Or gave fake contact information? Unless there was an authority on this forum who could punish those who falsely make pledges, I wouldn't feel very secure with this method. It just wouldn't work if a developer got shortchanged when the bounty is due.

I guess to summarize: without forum moderator support or a member-only forum section, it's going to be quite difficult turning this into a success. I'm going to need support from quite a few people if this is going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, assuming its possible, the Quake2 engine Quetoo should be probably considered. Controls could be the same as the Quake 1 port (assuming that there are no massive control changes between the versions). I dont own quake2 so i'm not particularly interested in it (though if a port existed, i'd actually search out a copy of the game) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=27417 The dev of the original engine says it could be possible, since the soft renderer is within 10% of the ASM optimised version, not bad. if we had some arm ASM in there, we could possibly have something that performs well.

The project i'm rather interested in would be a net browser and some sort of wifi device or something. Also a gameboy advance emulator (so i can finaly leave my DS home. <_< ).

A functioning replacement to the movie player that plays more codecs and all that would be just ducky also. though, the source code is supposedly on its way, but it'll probably take time to remove all the divx code and all that from the binaries that GPH wove into it.

A functioning replacement to the movie player that plays more codecs and all that would be just ducky also. though, the source code is supposedly on its way, but it'll probably take time to remove all the divx code and all that from the binaries that GPH wove into it.

The easiest way this could happen is if the code that gives huge acceleration because of hardware decoding was either fully hacked or the source was given. If this happens all we have to do is use open source decoders for each codec and we can play a lot of file types pretty easily. However from what I heard about the sources MagicEyes might not give away this source so easily, and we may just get a binary along with the MPlayer source to compile which could or could not be helpful.

Thought about starting a new site for this project? That could be a start.
As it is now, only visitors of the "Cool Ideas and other wishes :)"-section will see this. If we're lucky, the then all new site, will gain support from Hando and he'll link to it and promote it on the GP32 mainpage.

Well, if someone with the skills to design a website joined the project, that'd be great, but i'm fairly useless at that stuff ;)

Woot, cool thread. Here's what I'd be more interested in:

3. PDF Viewer - WTD 15$
4. Stunts Clone - WTD 25$
16. GBA Emulator - WTD 25-50$ depending on quality and compatibility

Hope something comes out of this :)

I don't mean to discourage your efforts, but I personally don't think this is a good idea. I love the donation system and have made several donations (with a half-dozen more to come today), however to me a bounty has the potential to diminish from the open source philosophy.

Also, what happens if two or three devs indepedently tackle the same project, hoping to receive the bounty (if it were large enough)? Let's says 2 of them were 98% complete when the third finishes theirs and collects the bounty? If the only reason those other 2 devs chose that project was because of the bounty, then they've just wasted potentially months of their lives and missed out on what they wanted.

When the same thing (parallel development) happens *without* a bounty, it's no big deal as the coder was working on it for other, intangible, reasons (a challenge, fun, helping the community, satsifaction), which will not be dimished by a "competing" release.

Perhaps a central Grants system would work better? Users donate into a Grants fund, and then devs who do want some $$ to help them out (buy hardware, whatever) can apply to a Grants committee with a proof-of-concept or alpha, and if it meets certain criteria (or matches a community wish-list), a grant can be awarded to complete it. That system works quite well in the arts community, perhaps it could be applied here?

Perhaps not. Just another thought.

I would like some kind of sound synthesizer/sequencer/drum machine, like Rebirth or Reason or whatnot. I think even the GBA (?) has a little sequencer that uses the synth sounds generated by the hardware.

If it could use a small sample database, that would be sweet, but even just using synth sounds from the hardware itself for drums and melodies would be good enough.

The ultimate would be if the files created could be able to be opened by more advanced sequencers, that way the work done on the portable could be upgraded and modified on a PC/Mac later.

I know there is at least one Linux-based sequencer, here:
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Thanks and props to all coders, the GP2X will make me happy!

2. Great movie player. Should play iPod videos (h.264 encoded), PSP videos, most digital camera videos and most of the most common codecs and containers at full speed. Should have great controlls and options. Has to be open source. Should also support music files and have music player functionality such as switching off the screen.
Heh.

EDIT: Whoah, hang on, $110? Hmm...
I expect the h.264 requirement will be the hard part.
Indeed, h.264 at full speed on this hardware seems nigh-on impossible. FFPlay can play h.264, but not very well. Let's say around full speed without sound at 160x120, lowest bitrate possible.

A modern pinball game. so not just a few bumpers but one that has everything like multiball, ramps, skill shots, more then 2 flippers , a scrollable "window" that follows the ball , etc ... u know what i mean.

i'd give 15 euro to the bounty for it.

Emulator improvements

Genesis:
you should be able to use 6 button controller(not just buttons a, b, c)

SNES:
you should be able change all the buttons to whatever you like

PSX:
more speed

+
better quake 2!

+
Media player:
support for subtitles that include letters like ä and ö

Did this thread, this initiative, die?

If not, I'd like put down $20 for #2, the movie player, as long as it plays xvid, divx and ac3 as fast as GPH's, but without the freezing.

So what we need is summing up what's left to be done, who's willing to donate and who's willing to work on what. OrR did that earlier.

Nickspoon seems to have something going with porting mplayer properly, which would be perfect for #2 (h.264 or no - iPod vids aren't that high res anyway, are they?).

And now I'll turn in. Night, folks.

So, why not run a site that allows folks to donate funds according to their preference.

Have a Paypal interface that allows the user to either put money into a bounty (held in escrow until awarded by a panel to address whether or not its meeting the goals (like a grant) for those that agree with the bounty system; Or to send funds to a project/dev etc. etc.

Money for a good project dev could be funelled into their account. I know I like seeing the development as new releases come. Tinkering and admiring the deterination/cleverness of the programmer; to some, this is the fun of emulation. I would love to divy out devey money in this fashion.

However, to some the end is the means, and this may be appealing to non hobby devs in search of a prize. I think embracing both in a central place would be ideal. But thats just my 2 cents. :)

Back