The Gp2x Is Dead!

dsraa said:
Hey Ass, .....

My advice, is a mod please lock this thread, before a vicious flame war ensues. Hell, I'd even recommend that they ban your ass for such disloyalty to the gp2x and its community.
Calm down, man. No one here talked about loyalty or any other nonsense, so what seems to be the problem?

Any questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
Sphinxter said:
chad78 said:
dsraa said:
Please, enlighten us with another system that can do this much emulation of older systems, and homebrew software and games.
The PSP.Hahahaha, good one.Not as the Pandora. As the GP2X, which is what we are talking about. And, yes, the PSP can do any system the GP2X can do. More, actually. How many PS1 games can the GP2X play?
WizardStan said:
Add a keyboard, touchscreen, and bluetooth, and the Pandora and PSP become reasonably comparable in terms of features. It's even got DosBox ported to it, though keyboard support is obviously quite limited.
That's true. The PSP homebrew scene has done a lot. But I think the Pandora will be much, much better.
Sony refusing to recognize you exist keeps going out of their way to stymie and cripple your every effort to unlock a platform where your only avenue to it is using a cracked 3rd party commercial game for a nop slide, damn, just calling that a, "home brew scene", is a falling on your ass unable to get up for 10 minutes from laughing joke.

Sphinxter said:
Sony refusing to recognize you exist keeps going out of their way to stymie and cripple your every effort to unlock a platform where your only avenue to it is using a cracked 3rd party commercial game for a nop slide, damn, just calling that a, "home brew scene", is a falling on your ass unable to get up for 10 minutes from laughing joke.
Why are you so harsh, mate? Seriously, this is the third time I've seen you take apparent offense to something which should not have been offensive. Can't we all just get along? There's room enough for all manner of homebrew scene. You're statement suggests you don't fully understand the PSP homebrew scene in much the same way some have been accused in this thread for not understanding the GP2X homebrew scene. The fact is they are both thriving and growing, and can both coexist.
As far as the GP2X being dead, if your definition of a console is the hardware, then yes, the GP2X is dead. If it's the community that embodies it, then it is not. Both are valid opinions, and you shouldn't get offended if someone uses a different definition than you.

flamewar.gif

If they stop manufacturing it's dead, the scene may not be yet but it's certainly dead man walking. Especially sad since no other platform has ever had anything even close to such a community and comparing it to some other that's viewed as welcome as a tick on a dog by a vendor that continually seeks to sabotage it is ludicrous. On to the next hardware

It's not dead!

<horrible analogy>
Think of it as hitting menopause. It may not be making anymore babies, but it's still alive, amirite?
</horrible analogy>

The PSP Homebrew scene ≠ Sony.

Sony makes the device. The community makes the software.

The PSP screen is by no means blurry.

The PSP screen's aspect ratio was not designed for emulation - that is true. But it has a ton more pixels than it needs to show full res graphics of classic systems. I've never understood why people would want to warp their graphics to fill the whole screen rather than just letterbox it. When you do that, you have awesome graphics, on a screen area that's bigger than the GP2X (in inches and pixels) with no distortion.

The PSP can emulate any system the GP2X can - plus more (PS1) - and can surf the web - and costs less - and has tons of accessories for it - is still in production - can still be replaced if broken - has brand new commercial games coming out for it all the time - does Skype - ....

People get upset when someone says the GP2X is a POS when they've never used one. That's a valid point. It applies to a modded PSP as well. It's a damn good system, whether you think so or not.

An idiot and a troll, Chad has some valid points and may be too stupid to realize that I control the content of the message linked to in his signature and I'm giggling as I type this wondering how long it will take him to notice it's been edited. Simply could not resist, sorry.

chad78 said:
While it displays still images, yes. But if you have a scrolling 2D game with darker backgrounds it's horrible, you will only see "smoke" when it scrolls. It is of course possible to use tricks, like displaying gray colors where it should be black, but thats kills contrast and doesn't completely fix the problem. The complete black/complete white and reverse pixel transition is just way too long on the PSP LCD. The effect is even visible on some brighter games. I agree it's nice for 3D, like Wipeout games (motion blur for free), but is a showstopper for 2D, at least for me.

chad78 said:

Yes, yes it is. Try playing any 2D game with fast scrolling and it is blur city. Which is pretty much every non 3d retro platform it emulates and also some commercial games like loco roco for example. I have both and the emulation on some of the more obscure systems is definitely not to the same standard a the gp2x.

chad78 said:
False, the color red has a die-off rate of several milliseconds, possibly half a second or more, any red on-screen and the blurry is clearly visible. The screen is the poorest quality I have ever seen (well, a tie with this Emerson LCD a friend of mine owns that has such poor colorspace everything moderately bright is all the same color, making any bright scene in a movie impossible to see, it is all white.) I demo'd one in a store and was amazed to find how lousy the screen was, very blurry, like a 90's laptop where the cursor disappears when you move it.

I notice that to "hide" this most of the commercial games are very bland, not very colorful. They may or may not employ an algorithm to minimize the appearance of ghosting, but the wiggly blurriness around every contrast/color difference makes me dizzy and gives me a headache.

Ugh, the PSP is useless. I must say that I am biased by using high-end PC equipment all day, but the PSP just didn't impress me at all, and even though I bought a used one in near mint condition for near $100 I did not feel it was worth even that price due to its poor quality. It was far too heavy (sorry haven't tried the lite), and the controls were pure crap. (note that I play all of my games on a PSP digital controller, I have even converted one with the PCB of a Microsoft Sidewinder USB pad so that it is completely compatible with HID supporting machines, Sony just really dropped the ball here.)

Basically the PSP is far too locked down to make it any form of useful. No I/O means that I can't hook a mini-mouse up to it, ditto for a keyboard. Lack of file management means I must stay near a PC so I can use that to manage the memory card. Even if something is running on it, since I can't look at that crap they call a "screen" it wouldn't do me any good.

Sony churns out crap and expects you to eat it with a spoon and thank them for it. It is Dub wheels for younger teens (just hang around some kids and listen to them "pimp" their PSP's wit sum o dat stickas and shiznit, I like to gag every time I am near that "scene"), lack of taste or quality.

Put another way, it is the ("gangsta bling big") Xbox of a handheld. Haven't you heard? Big is the new small.

I too was immediately disappointed by the ghosting of the PSP screen, however I have heard varied reports that it isn't as bad on all revisions. I wouldn't call it a show stopper for 2D, because 2D games with brighter colors suffer much less. You mainly get huge problems when there are black outlines, but not all console games are like this. GBA games in particular tend to be very bright. I also noticed significantly less ghosting with proper vsync, although I can't explain this. Anyway, when I played Zelda 1 and the latter two Castlevania games on PSP, at no point did I find the ghosting to be a problem. For Bonk's Revenge and Star Tropics 2 (just a few minutes played), on the other hand, the black border ghosting was very bad in some parts.

The controls on the slim are also supposed to be better, and it's pretty easy to mod a PSP to improve the controls a lot (unlike the GP2X). Personally I think PSP has a lot of pros about it's hardware that make it hard to write off, especially for when it was released (which was like a year before GP2X, which has its own plethora of problems). All three of the big "homebrew handhelds" of choice leave various things desired. I suppose Pandora is trying to close the gaps.

Some days ago Craigix announced the end of the production of the Gp2x. It was an important announcement that was not confirmed by anyone appart from Craigix. There are insistent rumours that GPH is actually about to announce something bigger than the Gp2x and similar to the Pandora. There is neither confirmation nor deny of any of these rumours, apart from the (interested) Craigix statement. I think that this is a very weird situation. Two options:

- GPH entered bankruptcy and the Gp2x is actually death. Then, why is Craigix the only one that announced these news? Is every other shop in the world just hiding the truth in order to get rid of their Gp2x stock?
- There is a new console from GPH that is about to exit. There are insistent rumours in this sense in gp32spain.com from very well known people. In this option, Craigix would be crossing his fingers in hope that the Pandora pre-orders come before the GPH announcement. We know that any of these consoles are nothing without us: the first one to hit the shops will get the community and development support. If this is true, I do not like the secrecy of GPH at all.

Please, don't take me wrong: Craigix has the right and duty to look for his interests. But I find the Craigix's announcement as weird as the silence of the rest of vendors. These are expensive machines, and my personal opinion is being as cautious as possible and wait for the development of this situation and confirmation/deny of rumours.

GPH are as mad as a box of frogs, and slightly less logical. God only knows what they're up to, and even he's probably slightly puzzled.

juanvvc said:
Please, don't take me wrong: Craigix has the right and duty to look for his interests. But I find the Craigix's announcement as weird as the silence of the rest of vendors. These are expensive machines, and my personal opinion is being as cautious as possible and wait for the development of this situation and confirmation/deny of rumours.
Lurkio already linked you, but I just wanted to say that not only is EvilDragon a distributor but he also has really close relationships with GPH and was heavily promoting the F200.

juanvvc said:
- There is a new console from GPH that is about to exit. There are insistent rumours in this sense in gp32spain.com from very well known people. In this option, Craigix would be crossing his fingers in hope that the Pandora pre-orders come before the GPH announcement. We know that any of these consoles are nothing without us: the first one to hit the shops will get the community and development support.
Even if this were true and GPH were about to announce a new handheld, I really doubt they would get much support for it. After all, who would you trust with your money for your GP2X successor:

A group of people involved with the community who have been open with the community about their intentions for a new handheld from the start, listens to what the community actually wants and works with them to get the specs right, keeps us constantly posted as to the development/setbacks/solutions and so on, and will not release a handheld that is less than 110% perfect;

or

A company that seems to have no idea of what the community really wants (and even mostly ignores the community), and constantly seems to botch every hardware/firmware release in some way or another

If GPH really are about to announce their own GP2X successor, it would have to be MASSIVELYt more powerful than the Pandora to actually make people want to wait for it, otherwise they won't have a chance in the face of the Pandora.

White Demon said:
If GPH really are about to announce their own GP2X successor, it would have to be MASSIVELYt more powerful than the Pandora to actually make people want to wait for it, otherwise they won't have a chance in the face of the Pandora.
Or, they could do the the GP2X Lite that people were talking about on the other thread. I'd buy one for less than $100 - and I'd still get a Pandora.

Back