The heat in my house broke

second exodous

Advanced Member
Man, the heat in my house broke and right now it is 14 below zero(-25.5555556 degree Celsius) and it is getting colder! I had the heat fixed a week ago but the guy wouldn't answer his phone today and tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday(not relevant anywhere but the US) so no heat tomorrow either.

The time it took to write that I had my hands out from under the covers and they ache now. It is way too cold to sleep!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the heat in my house broke and right now it is 14 below zero(-25.5555556 degree Celsius) and it is getting colder! I had the heat fixed a week ago but the guy wouldn't answer his phone today and tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday(not relevant anywhere but the US) so no heat tomorrow either.

The time it took to write that I had my hands out from under the covers and they ache now. It is way too cold to sleep!!
Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, it had been around 40 celsius (104 farenheit) for much of the past week. (today and yesterday were alright, though.)

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, it had been around 40 celsius (104 farenheit) for much of the past week. (today and yesterday were alright, though.)
I loath you southern hemisphere people. Well, not usually, just when my heat breaks in the dead of winter. Winter for us I mean. Yeah, it is cold.

Best of luck :(

24 hour super Walmart? Buy an electric heater, huddle up in one room and seal off the door as much as you can. Then charge the guy who was supposed to fix your heater for the cost of the electric because a fix should not fail after a week.

I've actually been keeping in my room and it has been pretty warm, I have two computers going for heat combined with my body heat it is bearable. Outside my room it is freezing though. I might go get a space heater tomorrow, I think there is one somewhere in the house but I can't find it. It also got warmer in the night, I have a thermometer outside my window and it was between -20 and -10 degrees when I noticed it was getting really cold and found out my heater was broke but now it is up to -4. I have no idea how that happened.

Inside I don't know the temp as I don't have a thermometer inside but when outside my room my nose gets numb.

May I suggest you doing some 3D animation rendering using blender?

It's really CPU intensive, so your computer will generate more heat
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I have Gentoo on my main tower and have been compiling open office for a while now, when that is done I'll start on libreoffice :p

You better hope you dont break a water pipe.
A few of my faucets have a slight drip and I've heard that if the water is running a little when it's cold then they won't freeze. I was going to fix them but now I'm glad I haven't yet.

EDIT: If they do I hope that the guy that repaired my heater will pay for it or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
laugh.gif
I have Gentoo on my main tower and have been compiling open office for a while now, when that is done I'll start on libreoffice :p
Next, compile dolphin (the gamecube emulator) and emulate Zelda! :lol:

laugh.gif
it is all you need ;)

Code:
main(){

while(1);

}

of course launch more processes, so all cores would be occupied ;)

it is all you need ;)

Code:
main(){

while(1);

}

of course launch more processes, so all cores would be occupied ;)
The compiler will just optimize that away. Something more like

Code:
int main()

{

int volatile running = 1;

int volatile value = 0;

while (running > 0) value += 1;

return 0;

}

There. That should keep the compiler from doing anything too clever.

I had to do load tests in the past and this code never let me down (I always compiled with gcc without additional parameters), last time I even took parameter from command line to fork() the needed amount of while(1) loops :)

Eh, if I want to keep warm I might as well have my PC doing something productive.

The heat was fixed yesterday, but I don't know how well, he was in a hurry for the Super Bowl although he didn't charge me anything. I think I'm going to complain again, it doesn't blow as much heat through the vents now. The air is a lot warmer but I'm guessing that more warm air would be better than air that is a lot warmer but less of it. Don't know, have to see how it goes.

That is bloody frrrreezing temperatures I've never had the pleasure of experiencing I don't think. The hand warming pouches you buy to keep in your pocket when outdoors are worth keeping at home, they keep for ages and when you want to use them you got instant 8 hours of toasting.

They only a quid or for you probably a dollar or two, sports shops

Back