Cold Cathode

speedmike

I'm gonna turn it back and run it again
Website
www.zanman.com
How Much Power do cold cathode lights take away from the power supply in a pc? I put two 4" cold cathodes in my iMac 333 and I believe they have a pisser of a powersupply at 80 watts or something. The two cathodes don't seem to bother anything but I want to try and fit maybe 2 more cathodes in it and I am wondering if that will take away too much power.

I like my computers to glow like the sun :) and or to keep my girlfriend awake when she comes to sleep over. ;) I simply say " I can't turn those lights off", and she gets pissed because it is so bright. Well that was on mt gaming pc before I sold it ;-)

Cold cathode doesn't make that much heat so that shouldn't be a problem either right?

Yeah, The imac does have a puny 80 watt power supply, And from what i can gather (but it depends on the kit you are using) cold cathode tubes draw around 4 watts each. Are you running them through a power inverter ?.

Trooper

speedmike posted on Apr 5 2005 at 02:20 PM said:
and or to keep my girlfriend awake when she comes to sleep over.

I can think of many alternate ways of keeping my girlfriend awake when she stops over...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it has a power inverter... I think I'll stop at two though. I just hate openning the damn thing up because I always forget to put something back on or forget to reattach something.

Thanks for your reply

I can think of many alternate ways of keeping my girlfriend awake when she stops over...

So can I :)

trooper posted on Apr 5 2005 at 10:10 PM said:
Yeah, The imac does have a puny 80 watt power supply, And from what i can gather (but it depends on the kit you are using) cold cathode tubes draw around 4 watts each. Are you running them through a power inverter ?.

Trooper

It's not puny if thats all it needs. Macs in general draw a lot less power than PCs, and the imacs with their lack of expansion never needed any more...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back