Pandora modding!

Hmm, any chance on adding in little slots to hold MicroSD cards? It should be easy to find the open space but probably a bit hard to actually get it securely. If the battery back didn't screw on it'd be a simple matter of sanding down a few small sections and epoxy some thin plastic on top for a crude carrier. But with the screws it becomes a bit of a pita.

I'm not looking for something beautiful, i just want something functional that protects the cards pretty well.

likwidoxigen said:
Hmm, any chance on adding in little slots to hold MicroSD cards? It should be easy to find the open space but probably a bit hard to actually get it securely. If the battery back didn't screw on it'd be a simple matter of sanding down a few small sections and epoxy some thin plastic on top for a crude carrier. But with the screws it becomes a bit of a pita.

I'm not looking for something beautiful, i just want something functional that protects the cards pretty well.
Well it has 2 SD slots, so all you'd need is a Micro SD to SD adaptor.

Username said:

... I think ya missed the point. I want to be able to store a few (like 3) 8gb micro sd cards in an alternate spot in the case to swap in and out. That way I can carry 40gb (3 alternates and 2 slotted in) of data around at first, then when 16gb cards become popular I could carry around 80gb of data.

Excessive, maybe. But doable, I'm sure of it.

likwidoxigen said:
Username said:

... I think ya missed the point. I want to be able to store a few (like 3) 8gb micro sd cards in an alternate spot in the case to swap in and out. That way I can carry 40gb (3 alternates and 2 slotted in) of data around at first, then when 16gb cards become popular I could carry around 80gb of data.

Excessive, maybe. But doable, I'm sure of it.
Seriously, I wouldn't do that. You could fix a small holster with adhesive tape on it. Think about that it is a batch one device(if you preordered), rare and not something to cut carelessly. I would'nt cut the case, if it wasn't a real elektronical mod needing it.

gerd said:
Seriously, I wouldn't do that. You could fix a small holster with adhesive tape on it. Think about that it is a batch one device(if you preordered), rare and not something to cut carelessly. I would'nt cut the case, if it wasn't a real elektronical mod needing it.

Oh please. You don't do mods because you need them you do them because you want them.

It's a tool, a system, just another handheld. I'm not going to treat it like it's glass or some godlike device. It's going to get used, often. It's going to get thrown into bags, kept in my pocket for extended stretches used a ton of the time for small stretches to check email, blogs, and go on IM. It's going to get used, alot and hard. It if can't take a small case mod then wtf is the point?

likwidoxigen said:
gerd said:

Oh please. You don't do mods because you need them you do them because you want them.

It's a tool, a system, just another handheld. I'm not going to treat it like it's glass or some godlike device. It's going to get used, often. It's going to get thrown into bags, kept in my pocket for extended stretches used a ton of the time for small stretches to check email, blogs, and go on IM. It's going to get used, alot and hard. It if can't take a small case mod then wtf is the point?
Usually I think the same, you would have to see my other gadgets :lol:

Chip said:
nikkopt said:
you guys know that BGA's need to be soldered with reflow soldering right? :p Hot-air stations aren't that expensive..
The entire package is attached to the PCB via a BGA interface. True, it's not impossible to remove it, but it's not a DIY type of project either.

What I was talking about though is the process that attaches the RAM and NAND packages to the SoC package. That process is not simple or reversible.

True, not as simple as adding a modchip to a ps2, but not impossible either, since the RAM/NAND chip is attached to the omap via BGA too ;P

pic of an omap 3 and separated ram chips: HERE

pic of an omap 3 and separated ram chips: HERE

These have not been separated after having been soldered together - the board was designed to use non-POP RAM/NAND

Catch23 said:
These have not been separated after having been soldered together - the board was designed to use non-POP RAM/NAND
That is correct. The PoP process is very new and very tricky. There are only a handful of factories in the world which are currently capable of assembling an OMAP3530 PoP chip. There are none that could dissemble one.

Wow I've been reading all these posts for like an hour to realize they were from last year! LOL oh well great ideas though guys!

I'd prefer functionality over LEDS

Things I'd like implemented are the following:

1) More Buttons. L2, R2, as well as C and Z buttons (for a full ABCXYZ set).

2) We have wifi, we have bluetooth, how bout infrared?

3) A Camera would be a nice addition

gogeta74_3: The question is wether you need these features or not.. while some LEDs would be a nice eyecandy for some people (I think hardware mods ruin the consoles in some way, I was only hardly able tolerate a modchip for my xbox), adding more buttons and the other things you listed would be useless in most applications.

- More buttons: Why? We have the keyboard and there are only very few game consoles which use more than 4 action buttons. I think that most developers will just release applications with support for one shoulder per side and not two. If you add this in hardware you have to remap it in software which shouldn't be too hard, but the quesion is why you would want to do that because other people have to get along with 2 shoulders and therefore most emulators will have a good button mapping by default anyway.
- Infrared: Do you really want to control your TV with a Pandora? Its more or less fun for 15 minutes but will stop after that. Though, I also plan to add IR support to my PSP-Emulator and I will probably release a Remote Control software for small indoor helicopters (expect a topic in a month or two if I find time for it, I still have to hack the complete protocol)
- Camera: I own the PSP camera and use it a lot. But I neither own a mobile nor a digital camera and have no other way of taking photos (Except for 15 webcams / extern mobile phone camers I own, but thats another story). If I would own one of the above I wouldn't have bought the PSP Camera because it makes no sense. Normally, you take a camera with you if you go to an event or so, if you plan to do photos. But one of those inbuilt camers is in every second mobile device these days, I know some people who always carry more than 3 cameras at a time because of that. And the quality isn't even good of these inbuilt cameras.

If infrared didn't require line-of-sight, I would recommend it for adhoc Pandora-to-Pandora networking.
Extra buttons seem like a lot of trouble since the board's already been designed for all the buttons it has.
I would rather get some kind of small webcam with a short USB cord, so I can actually position the camera. Built-in cameras make it hard to take a picture of anything other than yourself.

lulzfish said:
Extra buttons seem like a lot of trouble since the board's already been designed for all the buttons it has.

nope, pandora only have 2 shoulder buttons, but the board as additional L2 & R2 pads for additional button...

such a mod would be really hard, but for psx emulation that would really be great...

I have my reasons to ask for these. As for infrared, its not for something as trivial as "I'm to lazy to pick up the remote, I'll use my Pandora. Yeah, see mom, I can use this to change the channel and not the remote two feet away for me. It was really worth the buy" Really no use of it as a remote

The buttons would've provide more comfortable gameplay and the camera I would definitely have ended up using, and that's how I see it.

Well, I see it as a sort of necessity, but I suppose the Pandora can already do a lot and I won't overwhelm the poor thing. :wink:

lulzfish said:
If infrared didn't require line-of-sight, I would recommend it for adhoc Pandora-to-Pandora networking
They have something very similar to infrared that doesn't require line-of-sight, perfect for adhoc: it's called wifi. :p Alternately Bluetooth.

Back