The HOTFIXES

S

scoobydoo

My questions are strictly out of curiosity.

Is anyone still using HF4 or HF5?

Are members finding certain hotfixes are altering apps/games that were previously stable with their previous hotfix?? If so, which ones specifically?

Have members reverted to a previous hotfix??

Cheers then,

Scooby.

Last edited:
i dont really know anything about this. although i recall reading somewhere you can overclock further with hotfix4, however the latest hotfix requires less overclocking with the heavier apps so it dont matter about not being able to overclock so far, andis going to be better for the pandas lifeline.

Are members finding certain hotfixes are altering apps/games that were previously stable with their previous hotfix?? If so, which ones specifically?

Cheers then,

Scooby.

Nah, I think it's well accepted that the final releases of each hotfix (not the betas, mind you, sometimes those cause problems, but that's the purpose of the beta, to identify and fix such problems) are better.

I know before you thought that HF6 was booting slower than HF5; are you noticing other problems? Or just curious?

Cheers then,

Scooby.

Nah, I think it's well accepted that the final releases of each hotfix (not the betas, mind you, sometimes those cause problems, but that's the purpose of the beta, to identify and fix such problems) are better.

I know before you thought that HF6 was booting slower than HF5; are you noticing other problems? Or just curious?
No no other problems here. It seemed in some of the forums lately the question of 'which hotfix are you using?' arose.

I was curious of how much of an issue this was, if any issue at all.

So yes, just curious.

My Pandora is still flashed with hotfix 5 i think. But that is mainly because of the many problems there seemed to be with flashing hotfix 6 in the beginning. I would reflash it now, but its getting repaired at ED's place :)

I'm leaving mine on HF5 for the time being. I'm not having any issues with it, and you know what they say; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I'm leaving mine on HF5 for the time being. I'm not having any issues with it, and you know what they say; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Well, the most important thing in HF6 is the charger settings.

Older hotfixes might lower the battery life of the Pandora quite a bit.

I'm on HF6 Alpha4, HF6 release has some problems for me.

What problems do you have?

Am i missing something here, what are the issues concerning the final hotfix 6?

Just wondering because ive been on it since it was released and had far far less issues than i did on previous releases, and my battery status is a hell of a lot more accurate now, and my wifi drop off has decreased dramatically.

Just interested to know what the main put offs are?

Last edited by a moderator:
"pandora-uqm" stopped working for me when I upgraded to HF6 (full flash), but that's not even the main UQM PND (it's an alternate one on the apps store), so I'm not all that concerned about it.

More annoyingly, PicoDrive doesn't seem to work any more.

Other than that, though, I don't have any problems with HF6. Nothing wrong with the OS itself.

I waited until Hotfix 6 Final before upgrading, and so far, I haven't encountered any issues of note. I haven't tried all of my apps looking for incompatible ones, but my usuals work fine after the upgrade.

Well, the most important thing in HF6 is the charger settings.

Older hotfixes might lower the battery life of the Pandora quite a bit.
Out of curiosity, is there a way to test if that feature (that makes the battery stay at around the 90-95% mark) is actually working as it should be? I just notice that my battery seems to stay at 100% if I don't take the charger out (though I haven't done that all that often... I'm still in the HF5 habit of not allowing it to get to 100%).

Also, in the last few hotfixes there has been that bug where the system gets really slow for about 10 seconds after you close any PND. It was marked as fixed in the bugtracker, but it wasn't actually fixed. You can test it by closing a PND, then opening the "start" menu and pressing "up" on the d-pad. You'll notice that after a while it stops scrolling up for 5-10 seconds, then starts again.

In a Pandora flashed with the original firmware (and at least hotfixes 1-3, possibly 4 as well), there is no slowdown after you exit a PND.

"pandora-uqm" stopped working for me when I upgraded to HF6 (full flash), but that's not even the main UQM PND (it's an alternate one on the apps store), so I'm not all that concerned about it.

More annoyingly, PicoDrive doesn't seem to work any more.

Other than that, though, I don't have any problems with HF6. Nothing wrong with the OS itself.
This is one reason why I started this topic. if I lost my picodrive [with over 1000 games] i would be devastated :eek: !!

Why did that occur and has it been rectified?

?

Though I'm not a big Sega fan, PicoDrive (v1.80) worked perfectly fine for me, and I'm running HF6.
Well then why would this chap onpon4 have this situation?

Has anyone else lost a main emulator when upgrading to a hotfix?

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill here :eek:

For me to loose an emulator with hundreds/thousands of games is a biggish deal .

At this moment I am in software compatibility bliss with HF5 . I hear the old cliche 'if it isn't brole then don't fix it"in the sulcus of my mind!! :eek:

Cheers then.

Last edited:
I had an older version of Midori on one of my SD Cards that stopped working when I upgraded, but I've seen it mentioned that that's because some things it needs are no longer present on the NAND as of Hotfix 6, and a newer release fixes it. It's probably the same with pandora-uqm.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about randomly losing a much-used program. :) (But it's always a good idea to hang back from an upgrade at first, just in case!)

I had an older version of Midori on one of my SD Cards that stopped working when I upgraded, but I've seen it mentioned that that's because some things it needs are no longer present on the NAND as of Hotfix 6, and a newer release fixes it. It's probably the same with pandora-uqm.

I don't think there's any reason to worry about randomly losing a much-used program. :) (But it's always a good idea to hang back from an upgrade at first, just in case!)
Agreed and understood .My analogy is that one does no need to be the first in line then!! :lol:

Well then why would this chap onpon4 have this situation?

Has anyone else lost a main emulator when upgrading to a hotfix?

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a mole hill here :eek:

Ha, don't worry. Your point is valid.

But in this scenario where Picodrive works for me in HF6 and not for other people, it could be a bad flash that did it. Or some other issue unrelated to the HF6 itself. It might be really simple, too, the output of pndout may help diagnose it....

But I do agree with your point, things can go wrong with an update, and sticking with a slightly out of date yet stable system can be better than an upgrade. You just have to weigh your options and see what's best for you.

I have had some major problems with Hotfix 6. I found that a lot of my emulators stopped working (Mame, SNES etc). I also found that my Pandora wouldn't turn off at times. And the only way I could turn it off was to remove the battery.

I hadn't done much customization of my Pandora. All I did was put the .pnd files in the necessary folders and pretty much everything worked first time. So this upgrade is really the only major problem I have had with my machine.

I did try and revert back to Hotfix5 (using the pnd version) and it did go through all the usual steps of reflashing the system. Though even after completion when my machine boots up, it says hotfix6 on boot up. Which is a bit of a mystery to me. I will try and rebuild my SD cards with all the necessary files and see if that makes any difference.

I only upgrade to hotfix6 for the Reply Expo in Blackpool, so I could take along a machine that was up to date, for the event. So a big D'oh! on that one.

If there is a chance I may see if I can get any input on the problem from the Pandora team at the show. As I said, my knowledge on Linux is still very basic so maybe there is a simple alteration that could remove this software problem. I know the team have worked hard at the machine, and would hope that if there is any feedback I can give them to make sure hotfix6 and future hotfixes upgrade smoothly then obviously I want to do that.

It's not a mystery. The PND updates everything if needed. As Hotfix 6 is newer than 5, it won't downgrade anything.

How did you upgrade to HF6? The PND seems to cause issues when updating from HF5, so you should do a full flash.

Back