The Joystick...

I don't like it that much because when i put the unit in my pocket the stick always gets c :blink: aught. I think it should be spring actioned so that it can be pushed in or out. :blink:

I think it's that the Deadzone could be fixed in the FW not that it's a cause of it. So far I haven't been too inconvieneced by the stick I just seem to have gotten used to it I guess, atleast it's better than the controls you see on some portable video players which would be horrible for gaming entierly.

I thought the dead zone was related to the firmware? Oh. I'm missing way too much. :(

No, the dead zone is a physical hardware thing. It is the way the switches are positioned. Software can only change dead zones on analog sticks.

The only thing that can be tweaked in software is the bias, or how hard/easy it is to hit diagonals/orthagonals. The throw distance cannot be changed in software though, that wil need a hardware mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they'd made a controller pad like the gp32. These joysticks are really hard to get used to. When playing on the gp32 on the frodo emulator I just hope for the best which direction the character goes in.

Got no qualms with the stick myself. Granted it took a wee bit of getting used to, and Pac-Man is still a bit tricky, but on Metal Slug it's great! Dunno what you mean about the pain induced from playing with it either, I still have most of the skin on my thumb left...

i agree that the edges of the stick are sharp but as far as how well it works, i have never used a gp32 so i cant complain about this stick not being as good, i like it alot

I have no problems here with the joystick. Works great, IMO. Although I prefer the stick from the Neo Geo Pocket.

Sooo... the stick is only the metal thingy sticking out? Meaning the plastic top is removable? Meaning it can be replaced with something a little more easy on the thumb? (And definately a top with a dent in the middle -- or what do you call it when the middle slopes inward... ah to hell with it: concave ;)).

Someone should order a couple of sticks. See how they looks inside. I'd do it but they only seem to ship to the U.K.

Guess I'll be finding out what the stick feels like tomorrow. I too wish they would've just gone with a d-pad...expecially since it's not an analog stick.

I love my GP2X, it's brill, it's fab, it's got more potential than a... <insert thing
with loads of potential> but dear me, I thought I'd get used to the joystick, that
it would "bed in"... the top of it being convex and having little friction is bad (but
I suppose fixable by sticking something on there) but the edge, it's like a knife!
Surely someone must have tested these without having to wear a kevlar glove ;)

I tried glueing one of those on the joystick last night and I love my GP2X even more now! :p

I love my GP2X, it's brill, it's fab, it's got more potential than a... <insert thing
with loads of potential> but dear me, I thought I'd get used to the joystick, that
it would "bed in"... the top of it being convex and having little friction is bad (but
I suppose fixable by sticking something on there) but the edge, it's like a knife!
Surely someone must have tested these without having to wear a kevlar glove ;)

I tried glueing one of those on the joystick last night and I love my GP2X even more now! :p
hysterical.gif

Sooo... the stick is only the metal thingy sticking out? Meaning the plastic top is removable? Meaning it can be replaced with something a little more easy on the thumb? (And definately a top with a dent in the middle -- or what do you call it when the middle slopes inward... ah to hell with it: concave ;)).

Someone should order a couple of sticks. See how they looks inside. I'd do it but they only seem to ship to the U.K.
I ordered 2 today

What would work wonders is an NGage stick. IT was one of the most comfortable 8way plus click controls out of any system ever. Im talknig about the originial, not the QD.

You'd have to make or find part of a circuit board for a D-pad to work on. Then you'd have to solder it to the rest of the GP2X's circuit board. Then you'd have to cut a hole in the case so that it can even be used. You'd also need button membranes and a good way of keeping the extra circuit board piece in place. You'd probably have to do some kind of firmware modification so the GP2X knows how to use the extra crap you just added... It's possible, but it's not something most people would want to take the time to do. I know I sure as hell wouldn't do it. Maybe we'll get lucky, and GPH will release a new version with a better d-stick... I hope so.

This would be awesome! I would pay an easy 25$ with shipping to send my GP2X to someone who could do this... This would make it the best console ever. DPad just gives so much more precision (on 8 directions) and quickness you cannot get with a stick.. icky!

Something just slapped me in the face a few minutes ago that will entirely fix every problem anyone is having with the GP2X's stick.

Yes. Hmm...

iignotus posted on Dec 11 2005 at 11:18 PM said:
Something just slapped me in the face a few minutes ago that will entirely fix every problem anyone is having with the GP2X's stick.

Yes. Hmm...

Tell us, quick, O wise one :ph34r:

I hope it is something good :D

Back