The Linux Scene

irish rebel

Still Fresh
Guys I have used gnu linux since 1999 strictly my 4 kids for the past 5 years have used linux a windows pc has never booted up in my house even my wife loves her ubuntu, so when I seen that the gp2x was out I used my sons birthday as an excuse to buy one. absolutely great we are fighting over it so much that I have to get one for myself.

We have had a couple of linux scene members pick up a gp2x, but I think the word needs to spread through the linux circle in order to generate more devs and gain more sales for GPH. Welcome to the 2x scene and tell your linux buddies that they have a handheld to call their own. Too long has windows had a mobile platform. Yay for Linux.

On another note check out my spiffy new sig...

tshroom posted on Jul 13 2006 at 11:42 PM said:
bit big I might say...

and well to the linuxer to the scene, I wish my house strictly used linux but the wireless adapters don't work with linux well that my family has :/, oh wells, not my computer, at least I use linux or something

Last edited by a moderator:
DemonStar55 posted on Jul 13 2006 at 11:46 PM said:
bit big I might say...

and well to the linuxer to the scene, I wish my house strictly used linux but the wireless adapters don't work with linux well that my family has :/, oh wells, not my computer, at least I use linux or something

Condensed ;)

And what do you mean "or something?"

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 14 2006 at 12:46 AM said:
bit big I might say...

Ndiswrapper (uses windows drivers under linux)

windows free house here too, 1* mac and multiple linux boxes :)

And i'm thinking of putting Ubuntu or Gentoo on the mac ;)

I haven't used Windows - or any Microsoft product for that matter - in 10 years, and I feel fine. 4 Linux machines, (7 if you include my GP2X's), a Powerbook, and a BeBox .. not to mention a few delectable items in the rack for music making ..

I've been using Linux for around 4 years now. I just upgraded my desktop Thursday from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0. I love it. Couple of my favorite programs are Scribus and GIMP. My whole setup has a AMD 2.4 gigHz, 512 meg DDR, NVida 440 64 meg ram, 40 gig HD, HP printer, Canon scanner, & Zip drive. All run by Linux.

PSyMastR posted on Jul 14 2006 at 07:03 AM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Jul 14 2006 at 12:46 AM said:
Ndiswrapper (uses windows drivers under linux)
Yeah - use NDISwrapper - the only way (as far as I know) to get wireless lan going on linux.
I use it at work & home.

Kev

kevcal posted on Jul 14 2006 at 12:06 PM said:
Yeah - use NDISwrapper - the only way (as far as I know) to get wireless lan going on linux.
I use it at work & home.
Kev

Even better is to just buy a cheap wireless card from eBay that is supported out of the box. The ralink cards Just Work with Ubuntu Breezy and Dapper (the drivers are part of the kernel), but I don't know how easy it is to get WPA to work with them as I don't use it.

How off topic is this.

Typical Linux
First it was soundcards, then it was modems now wireless.

I thought this came about, because of the the whole centrino marketing. I thought there had been good drivers for a long time under BSD, and recently become a lot better under linux.

I suspect most people on this form are still using 2.14 though ;)

pfft .. i'm on 2.6 (sometimes 2.4 for development) and i don't have *any* linux driver issues on either my Dell laptop or Shuttle PC ..

Its a matter of picking your parts. If Linux is an afterthought, then you may run into driver problems. But if you're a real Linux user, you'll pick your hardware based on what you know already works .. and from that angle, Linux is a ball.

I started using Linux a few weeks ago. Much nicer than Windoze in most aspects. First off my wireless card didn't work. Replaced with a £6 one that worked out-of-the-box. Then printer. Configured PostScript Emulation on the XP machine the printer is on, now works fine pretending to be an Apple LaserWriter.

I'm happy.

I like my games that are only released for windows too much to switch all the way. :)

Plus my laptop doesn't like linux (widescreen display, card reader, wireless, sound card, firewire) refuse to work with Debian, SUSE, etc. Tried a few distros.

I, too have a 100% Windows-free household. I have a Shuttle XPC running Fedora Core, a Mac mini, and a MythTV system.

In no case did I specifically select any hardware to be "Linux Compatible" -- even for the Myth system. (OK, that was a bit of a gamble - an impulse buy)

My son and I both vie for the GP2X. (He's really into Freedroid at the moment). Meanwhile my daughter is grabbing for the GP2X screaming "I wanna watch Dora" (Copied from the Myth system).

I must publicly admit addiction to the Vektar demo. I thought the hours I spent in my youth playing arcade games were behind me, but I have now found out that is not the case. :-/

CrossBow posted on Jul 14 2006 at 08:05 AM said:
st publicly admit addiction to the Vektar demo. I thought the hours I spent in my youth playing arcade games were behind me, but I have now found out that is not the case. :-/
If you like the Vektar demo, the commercial version should be available shortly. There's also the freeware version available. See the link in my signature for info about that one.

Our family always used Macs (my dad is a graphic designer) and I grew up using them. Then when I was at school, I had to use Windows. Now I dual boot with Linux so I can easily use any of the 3 OS's (Suse 10, OSX 10.4, XP). I think they all have their plus points, and variety is the spice of life :)

Oh, and I've got wireless working with WPA on my SUSE with ndiswrapper,

michaeljustman posted on Jul 14 2006 at 02:33 PM said:
I like my games that are only released for windows too much to switch all the way. :)

Plus my laptop doesn't like linux (widescreen display, card reader, wireless, sound card, firewire) refuse to work with Debian, SUSE, etc. Tried a few distros.

Yer, my laptop is having a prob. ATI 9700pro with 64meg VRAM, no HW graphics. :( And all the mp3 players i've tried all bomb. I'm on SUSE 10.1

Until Linux works 'out of the box' as windows does it will always be on the back foot. Shame as more and more I can see Windows days being numbered. My Router is over a year old and never crashed, and why? Because its got a proper OS. ;) The gp2x just rocks, I have an IPaq (its not been turned on for over a year) and the winCE os is amaturish compared to the gp2x. The sync prog was very unreliable and it would lock up all the time. My gp2x is bullet prof in comparison.

Linux is the way forward, just hope the new initiatives to standadise the most basic operations will sort things out over the next few years. If my HW 3D worked and I could play mp3's I would make the effort to use Linux as my dev enviroment even though i'm a dev studio die hard.

P.s. I'm about 50% Linux at home, I have a Clark Connect server, its very good and 'works out of the box' as a server. Very impressed with that and its so reliable its in the loft unlike the old winNT system I had.

Back