The "new" Xbox 360

i just watchin the live feed of the conference now, the new dashboard looks amazing, i agree, it is a bit 'mii' but it looks like microsoft are going to do a lot more with the avatar thing than nintendo has.

edit: looks nothin like the xmb

chad78 said:
So they are copying the Miis.

And it looks like the XMB.

Gosh, this is sad...
Who cares? You realize that most technology is borrowed/stolen anyway, right? Avatars that move around, wow. Bloody M$, you copycats!

Everyone is always looking to nitpick at new features. "Oh, those thieves stole this idea, how dare they!" The commotion that was whipped up when Sony introduced the Six Axis was a complete joke. Everyone who bitched and moaned about it being a ripoff of the Wiimote. Ugh. You know what I'd like to do? Punch them in the nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony must be spitting chips though after losing exclusivity of a big hitter. Wish I could have seen their faces when it was announced FF XIII was coming to 360 at the same time as PS3.

Can anybody get the moment of this announcement? Nobody seems to have any info on it. Also, any other info released about the game?

like i said in another post i never saw anything about final fantasy,there was star ocean, last remnant and some other rpg but thats all sqare enix announced.

final fantasy was right at the very end of the presentation, they were just about to wrap things up then the square-enix guy came back on and said he had one more surprise announcement.

the new dashboard looks interesting, I missed parts of the presentation but the party feature on the dashboard is exactly what i wanted on the 360, I didn't hear any mention of being able to voice chat in the party but I guess it will, this is my most requested feature :) All is forgiven for no spring dashboard update!

I also like the new Primetime section, it looks like MS are going straight for the family games to take some slices of the cake from the Wii. I heard a mention of prizes, not sure if real or virtual prizes, but they would be missing a trick if they don't make prizes such as new items for your avatar, like an extension of achievements.

All in all a good show from Microsoft. Will be interesting to see what Nintendo and Sony will have to say tomorrow.

UPDATE: List of some of the features in the new dashboard, effin great! http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/07/14/...-plus-more.aspx. It also confirms that there will be 8 person party chat in dashboard, and real prizes in the Primetime games amongst other things.

1440 x 900 resolution support and party chat will be nice but I think the new look and avatars are useless.

chad78 said:
So they are copying the Miis.

And it looks like the XMB.

Gosh, this is sad...
I hope you realise that your precious Macbook wasn't the first portable computer ever. Oh noes, looks like Apple 'copied' that idea.

Nova said:
I hope you realise that your precious Macbook wasn't the first portable computer ever. Oh noes, looks like Apple 'copied' that idea.

Yes, I *realize* that. I also *realize* that the idea of a portable computer is pretty much a given anymore. And Apple never tried to pass off the MacBook as some novel idea. Microsoft spent a lot of time today talking about how cool it is to be able to make an avatar that looks like you (or how you want to look) that will eventually be used in a few games down the road.

The idea of an avatar for your video game console that is used to keep up with stats, to identify different users within a given console, to identify those users for online play, and to be used inside of games - all of that was brand new with Nintendo on the Wii. The Xbox things even look like Miis - only slightly less cartoony and with more clothing options.

And don't tell me that's all the 360 could handle was that low of a level of "Realism" - the Sims on the original Xbox had more realistic character design.

So - the Xbox avatar idea was a complete ripoff of the Nintendo Miis. It's the truth. Deal with it.

I was referring specifically to the exchange in this thread. Everything in the realm of consumer tech is derivative. I'm sure dedicated fanboys and MS haters are finding plenty to discuss, but at the end of the day it's much ado about nothing.

Not too enthused about the new avatars myself, but will be glad to see a new dash. As for the new overall look, I think they've drawn more on XBMC than XMB. Which is cool. (Based on these pics).

[edit - sp]

I also thought that the new design was similar to XBMC , when it first appeared I nearly wet myself and thought it was XBMC as they didn't immediately say it was the new dashboard :)

The MS ripping off Nintendo Mii's is a tricky one, avatars have been around forever, MSN had customisable avatars from a while before wii? You could say Wii stole it and improved on the idea, then MS 'stole' it and improved again on the idea? Same goes for the PS3 and their stealing of friends lists, in game XMB, trophies etc. Most companies do it to an extent, if its improved over the original then I think it is fine.

Its a shame about ff13 as now it will be limited to 8.5 gb unless they make it a multi disc game, oh well same thing that happend with gta4.
Xbox using dvds is holding back some games that are multi format.

CABBAGES said:
Its a shame about ff13 as now it will be limited to 8.5 gb unless they make it a multi disc game, oh well same thing that happend with gta4.
Xbox using dvds is holding back some games that are multi format.
Almost certainly multiple discs with downsampled content, that is if they manage it at all. They didn't do the game on ps2 because of lack of space on DVD9. And I doubt the method of just putting CG across discs and the whole game on every disc will work this time; too much non-cg data.
However, since the game is being made and finished for ps3 before they even thing about porting to 360, there's still a glimmer of hope.

I actually like the Avatars alot! I was always a little dissapointed with how the new community oriented and interactive GUIs of the Wii and 360 both seemed to be lacking the cool features of the other. Now it seems the 360 will offer a more complete approach than the Wii. Kinda makes me want to buy a 360 actually. I don't care if it seems like a rip-off, it's the right thing to incorporate into the already neat online features of the 360.

chad78 said:
Gruso said:
The point is that no one cares.

Funny - when I search for "xbox 360 avatar rip off mii" on google - I get over 7000 hits. That's an awful lot of no ones who care about that phrase in less than 12 hours from the announcement....

Oddly, a google search for "Chad Smith get over yourself" comes up with 128,000 responses. Throw enough common words into a Google search and you get results.

Derivative or not, customizable animated avatars were an inevitable feature. You may as well say that all consoles that have tennis games are just ripping off Pong because Pong did it first.* People seem to like avatars, so they'll probably be a part of every game console from here on out.

* Yeah, I know about "Tennis for Two". Let's not split hairs.

Back