The "new" Xbox 360

Goity said:
CABBAGES said:
Its a shame about ff13 as now it will be limited to 8.5 gb unless they make it a multi disc game, oh well same thing that happend with gta4.
Xbox using dvds is holding back some games that are multi format.
Almost certainly multiple discs with downsampled content, that is if they manage it at all. They didn't do the game on ps2 because of lack of space on DVD9. And I doubt the method of just putting CG across discs and the whole game on every disc will work this time; too much non-cg data.
However, since the game is being made and finished for ps3 before they even thing about porting to 360, there's still a glimmer of hope.

So the game may come out on multiple disks for the 360 and on one for the PS3. BFD, it wouldn't be the first time an FF game came out on more than one disk ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
Oddly, a google search for "Chad Smith get over yourself" comes up with 128,000 responses. Throw enough common words into a Google search and you get results.

Weird - "Chip is an asshole" gets over a million results. The difference is - xbox 360 rip off mii avatar - those are not that common of words to find together until the Avatars were announced. And, actually, the more words you "throw at" Google - the *LESS* results you get, because you have to have all the words present for Google to return the result.

That's kind of how search engines work. Welcome to the Internet, Chip.

They do look a slightly similar to the mii avatars but so what, it doesnt harm nintendo in anyway and makes the live interface even better, there only seems like one person here who has a problem with it <_<

chad78 said:
Chip said:
Oddly, a google search for "Chad Smith get over yourself" comes up with 128,000 responses. Throw enough common words into a Google search and you get results.

Weird - "Chip is an asshole" gets over a million results. The difference is - xbox 360 rip off mii avatar - those are not that common of words to find together until the Avatars were announced. And, actually, the more words you "throw at" Google - the *LESS* results you get, because you have to have all the words present for Google to return the result.

That's kind of how search engines work. Welcome to the Internet, Chip.

oh?
you have a google cache, or print screen of that search before the E3 press conference?
also "xbox 360 mii copy" gets over 70k.
this is not only pointless, its impossible to prove.
take a road trip or something guys, seriously.

DaveC said:
So the game may come out on multiple disks for the 360 and on one for the PS3. BFD, it wouldn't be the first time an FF game came out on more than one disk ;)
And it wouldn't b the first time things had to be cut either. On FF8, you couldn't get to most town areas and old sections because there wasn't enough space on the disk to store them.
Also, with the older versions about half the disc was taken up with the main game, and this section was common to all the discs on most (FF8 disc 4 being an exception). Only the CG was different. However, it's probably impossible to do that nowadays because the game without CG will probably be larger than 8.4gb, or at least too close to be able to fit any amount of CG on before a disc change.

Goity said:
However, it's probably impossible to do that nowadays because the game without CG will probably be larger than 8.4gb, or at least too close to be able to fit any amount of CG on before a disc change.
First of all, I think you all are highly overestimating, if not straight out exagerating the size of the game. No Final Fantasy game has ever taken up multiple DVDs. Multiple CDs - yes - but DVDs - no (not counting collector's edition "bonus dvds" - I mean the game itself.)

Heck, the last FF game was on the PS2 for crying out loud - why do you think they are going to bloat the game so much that it can't fit on a DVD?

And the majority of the DVD-based games data was for the CG - not the game play - if you strip out the CG, I wouldn't be surprized if the game would fit on a CD.

All of this is pointless, anyway, with the announcement of the play-from-hard-drive option just announced for the 360. You still need the DVD in the drive to prove you own it - but the game is coming from the hard drive - so if the CG does push it over 8 GB - you can just install it on your hard drive and play it from there - with faster load times than off the super-impressive BluRay.

chad78 said:
Goity said:
However, it's probably impossible to do that nowadays because the game without CG will probably be larger than 8.4gb, or at least too close to be able to fit any amount of CG on before a disc change.
First of all, I think you all are highly overestimating, if not straight out exagerating the size of the game. No Final Fantasy game has ever taken up multiple DVDs. Multiple CDs - yes - but DVDs - no (not counting collector's edition "bonus dvds" - I mean the game itself.)

Heck, the last FF game was on the PS2 for crying out loud - why do you think they are going to bloat the game so much that it can't fit on a DVD?

And the majority of the DVD-based games data was for the CG - not the game play - if you strip out the CG, I wouldn't be surprized if the game would fit on a CD.

All of this is pointless, anyway, with the announcement of the play-from-hard-drive option just announced for the 360. You still need the DVD in the drive to prove you own it - but the game is coming from the hard drive - so if the CG does push it over 8 GB - you can just install it on your hard drive and play it from there - with faster load times than off the super-impressive BluRay.

You're discounting the Arcade pack there. The game must be able to work on one of those, so no mandatory hard drive. Also, Square specifically stated originally thet they wouldn't make FFXIII for PS2 because there wasn't enough space on DVD, and now the amount of space needed for a HD console is much larger. With even racing games needing more space than 8.4gb without CG, I question if there will be enough space on a DVD9 to put any CG on at all.

And the hard drive comment sems pretty irrelevent considering you still need the discs, but whatevs. I'm sure if the internet uses flawed logic, it's the correct thing to do.

I'll just settle this now. It's not been announced but the game will most definitely use multiple discs. If you look at Lost Odysse (spelling? and bad example but it'll have to do) that had 4 discs just to fit the entire game on the 360. Now we all know that FF XIII will be a better and bigger game, with better graphics, etc. and it can only mean that it'll have to span several discs to do so.

Also, i'd like to say stop bitching about the Xbox Avatars. Yes, they look similar to Nintendo's Miis but in the games industry, people take ideas from each other al the time. You may think that Microsoft have ripped off the Mii but from what I have seen it is much more advanced and much more customisation available with Avatars. So Microsoft have taken a base idea of the ability to create your own self or a completely random person, such as seen with Nintendo's Mii, and have expanded on it.

There. That should settle both of these petty arguments.

chad78 said:
HD.

There is a reason HD movies don't fit on a normal DVD.

Goity said:
And the hard drive comment sems pretty irrelevent considering you still need the discs, but whatevs. I'm sure if the internet uses flawed logic, it's the correct thing to do.
It's not "irrelevant" - because even if you had to have 3 DVDs - once you put them on the hard drive, you'd only need to have one DVD in the drive to play the game. And, I do understand that it wouldn't help people without a hard drive - but that is a small number of 360 owners. And the even smaller number of people who don't have a hard drive but buy FFXIII, they will have to swap out discs, assuming it takes more than 1 DVD.QUOTE
There is a reason HD movies don't fit on a normal DVD.
GTA 4 has HD - it fits on one DVD. There are over 20 RPGs on the Xbox 360. Including FFXI They figured out a way to make it work, and have HD, even with the 8.4 GB limit.

^ Using FF XI as an example is really quite stupid. It's an online game (and a poor one at that). With that being the case, the game is severely compressed and has to use the hadr drive to load things. They could try it like this for FF XIII but it's very unlikely as it'll lead to some glitchy gameplay. Their best bet is to put it on multiple DVDs. And trust me, FF XIII will not fit on a single DVD. I know things can be compressed really well but there is no way it'll happen.

chad78 said:
And, I do understand that it wouldn't help people without a hard drive - but that is a small number of 360 owners
I wonder about that, just how small the percentage is. I'd love to see a breakdown of 360 sales by package - Pro, Core, Arcade, Elite.

GTA 4 has HD - it fits on one DVD. There are url=http://games.teamxbox.com/index/xbox-360/by-genre/18/]over 20 RPGs on the Xbox 360[/url]. Including FFXI They figured out a way to make it work, and have HD, even with the 8.4 GB limit.

None of them have anywhere near the amount of CG video that FF games have. The only one that came close was Lost Odyssey, and that took up 4 discs. Blue Dragon also had 3 discs. Space re: HD has little to do with the game itself, it is the video resolution, and the amount of said video, that makes the difference.

These days you don't need CGI pre-rendered video. You can use game engine models and environments for real time cutscenes and that takes up allot less space. It matches better anyway as everything has the same look. Gone are the days when you play the actual game with origami characters controlled over a cardboard background that contrasts with the slick pre-rendered cutscene. Now the systems are so powerful the hardware can render the cutscene and save tons of space. It is more efficient than storing all of that video.

chad78 said:
GunPei2X said:
Agreed, but Square rarely do it that way on flagship titles.
They did it on FF X and FF X-2...

Are you kidding? FFX had loads of pre rendered CG in it, in fact it was so much that it ended up costing them far too much in CG (iirc). FFX-2 has less, but still a faily large amount of pre rendered cg in it.

Goity said:
chad78 said:
GunPei2X said:

Are you kidding? FFX had loads of pre rendered CG in it, in fact it was so much that it ended up costing them far too much in CG (iirc). FFX-2 has less, but still a faily large amount of pre rendered cg in it.
Some of the cut-scenes in FFX were pre-rendered (like the Blitzball scenes, the Wedding scene, etc.) - but many of the less glitzy ones were game-rendered, iirc. The reason that sticks out to me is because it was a novelty at the time.

chad78 said:
Goity said:
chad78 said:
GunPei2X said:

Some of the cut-scenes in FFX were pre-rendered (like the Blitzball scenes, the Wedding scene, etc.) - but many of the less glitzy ones were game-rendered, iirc. The reason that sticks out to me is because it was a novelty at the time.

That wasn't remotely what Gunpei was saying though... the game does use a lot of CG, and all flagship FF games have for a while now.

Back