The Next Advert

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
We are going to update the current press GP2X advert this month in all the magazines it runs in (about 6).

If some users want to suggest ideas or new advert designs please do so.

I was thinking of keeping the large gp2x picture at the top and at the bottom having some screen shots of new software and saying how far things have came in the last 8 months software wise (ie what you can now do on the gp2x) and talk about the BOB etc.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Craig

Whatever it is, it should have a very long features list. The most impressive part of the '2x is the breadth of things you can do with it- the extremely wide range of systems emulated, all the portable media you can play with it, and all the additional functionality consistently being unlocked e.g. PDA functions via Qtopia, Internet functionality via connecting to a USB wifi adapter, or using it like an ARM9 computer via a breakout board or self-made adapters.

Don't use any pics of the white GP2X ... they only make it in black.

Please show off more homebrew, and don't have images showing gp2x logo on the screen.
I love seeing pictures of the gp2x running actual games.
Maybe it running vektar withsome cool sparks, or better yet, Payback, because it is the most impressive 3d game to date.
Also, pictures of linux games linke supertux, super methane brothers, and other gpl games would be awesome for the linux crowd, and safe from the gpl licenses.

Be careful if mentioning emus. Doing so may get the lawyers panties in a bunch at the big N' . We don't want that.

DaveC posted on Jul 19 2006 at 09:45 PM said:
Be careful if mentioning emus. Doing so may get the lawyers panties in a bunch at the big N' . We don't want that.

I still prefer the phrase "knickers in a twist". :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to mention how recharable AA batteries have the same effectiveness as li-ion batteries, though it's too bad we can't use the "AA are available everywhere" statement anymore since the GP2X is strict about batteries.

Also, assuming most of the magazines are gaming-related, put a slightly larger focus on the games you can play on the GP2X. Perhaps photoshop a PS2 game pic onto a GP2X screen ;)

That would be lying. And I don't feel we need to lie to sell a 2x. They're fantastic systems, and I believe they sell themselves...With the help of this community, of course. But minus you ;)

Ok - I will stress the new list of homebrew - and showing how much creativity has come from the scene in the recent months.

I will give the low-down on the hardware within the platform - and how it makes this special.

I will create a way of conveying how well the platform emulates - and give examples of full speed emulators - without any mention of illegal pirating of games, including all the proper citations, trademarks, etc.

I will feature the BoB - and how it makes the GP2X more than just an Handheld - with the mention of Qtopia - a Linux distro which features many application features common with desktop operating systems.

Possibilities for enthusiasts - Wifi through USB... (BoB)

I will not include any logos due to fact I do not know the legality of it - along with the fact that citing the company may not be enough, and I am not familar with England's laws.

It will have a simulated screen of an image of Vektar - with the proper citations, and such.

There will be the classic legal footnote - stating the ownership of the GP2X logo, and all other trademarks I have to use, like

"Playstation® is the property of SONY... etc."
(I would never mention the Playstation emulator... due to false advert.)

Anything else I forgot? I won't have time to start this tonight, I'll have to get up bright and early tomorrow and get enough done.

One important thing to mention would be the loyal fan community that codes new stuff for the machine all the time. If I knew nothing about the GP2X and saw an ad for it, I'd likely think to myself, "looks cool, but there probably are no good games/apps for it."

Maybe you could put the URL to GP32x in the ad, if you're allowed to do that.

TyBO! posted on Jul 20 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
One important thing to mention would be the loyal fan community that codes new stuff for the machine all the time. If I knew nothing about the GP2X and saw an ad for it, I'd likely think to myself, "looks cool, but there probably are no good games/apps for it."

Maybe you could put the URL to GP32x in the ad, if you're allowed to do that.
People would be scared away by these forums if they didn't know us lol.

If i were to see an add for the GP2X i would first think: "cool, where can i find out about that device more". So some (small caption) links to this forum or the wiki should be included i think.

It strikes me that long feature lists = lots of text, which always turn people off - despite that it's probably the crucial attraction of the GP2x. So, to get around that, why not do an immense list of program names in light grey on white as a background. The result would, hopefuly, be that people will see it, but won't feel obliged to read them all - so they'd be less likely to skim over the ad.

Just a thought.

pic of the '2x and lots of little screenshots of varios applications / games... it will get their minds wondering >:)

also some text describing the main features...

When you say "talk about", craig, it sends shivers down my spine.

Steer clear of the talking. No talking. I never check out ads laden with text, unless there is so much text I mistake it for an article (hey, now. There's an idea!).

How about a variation of the "SEX!!" trick? "FREE GAMES! - have I got your attention?" and then just a link to the website under that and a big ol' picture of the GP2X. Maybe a few paragraphs of text at the bottom to explain things. Just a loose idea, that.

Or, like we discussed in one of those other threads, go with the humour. Was it Nickspoon who suggested "The second most fun you can do with your palms." or something like that? Allude to sex, masturbation or other related things without being too specific, and people will definitely take notice.

Linux is nice, but most people I mention that to just go "uh, okay." so there's really no need to be too fixated on that, I think. At least not unless you're advertising in a Linux mag.

"What if you could still play your other games even after a firmware upgrade?" *chuckles*
"How about a firmware upgrade that benefits you?"

3.5' screen + full-size DivX playback + 200 free games + mp3 support + tv-out =
FUN!!

Tried to give you an idea of the typography on that last one, but I need BIGGER fonts for FUN! THe idea is that the additions are collected in a line as long as the ginormous word FUN!!

What needs to be used in my opinion:

* Pictures of the real black MK2 model.
* Name the most important features this system has. Music, video, games, e-book, etc.
* Defenetely include some info about the BoB, including a picture of it.
* Include a link to the official website and one or two links of the largest community pages! For example, gp32x.de.
* Make a statement about "bang for bucks". Because this system can do it all, at a very reasonable price.
* Also make a statement about how nice the community is.
* People want to know where to buy something! www.gp2x.co.uk is the key here!

Just be honest about what it is. And just don't do what JaqM stated before :)

Edit: Ads indeed don't need whole pages of text in them. Good keywords are the key to succes! The word "free" is certainly an attention word. I defenetely suggest to use it.

I was thinking of a black page with a pic of the 2X in the middle (top tilted away slightly, right-hand corner raised) with a very slight reflection and then 5 or 6 screenshots in a ring around it (asin, going behind and the ones in front being larger).
The 2X would have the main logo on the screen so that people know what it is and the shots would be of homebrew.
Small white writing beneath the centred image saying "Games. Movies. Pictures. Text." and the gp2x.co.uk URL at the very bottom.

Simple and distinctive.

Maybe I'm wrong; perhaps I'll knock an example together later, if I can.

Back