The pandora : First of many ?

ljones

Hello all :) !

Y'know, there's been one other thought that has been with me while I have been following the pandora. Ok, more of a hope than a thought. Me personally - I'm hoping pandora will initiate a spark; the spark that might get others to produce other open-source/community devices just like the pandora, rather than having to buy item X, Y and Z from faceless corporate company, inc.

Who knows prehaps in 10 years' time there might be several open source/community based projects like this? Any thoughts?

ljones

I expect that we'll see more devices like this, but not I don't think the Pandora will really have influenced them.
Open Source is the future.

I don't think there will be more consoles like the pandora, but there will be more from the pandora team. Like pandora 2, for example.

It depends on how many 'How i made a Million from Geeks & Nerds' books Craig can sell ;) :p

I think this may be a one off coming together of new chip, hardware & software designers

Only to be repeated if the project is managed properly and there is money to be made
Otherwise you'll get Gizmondos

I personaly love open source, but it may not be the future, when I have told my friends about the pandora and gp2x they have just said 'what company makes it' and 'whats the point?' some plebs actually find it comforting to buy everything off faceless corps :eek:

cloudy-cola-corp said:
I personaly love open source, but it may not be the future, when I have told my friends about the pandora and gp2x they have just said 'what company makes it' and 'whats the point?' some plebs actually find it comforting to buy everything off faceless corps :eek:
it has advantages, like the company being less likely to go bankrupt and having a wider userbase means better support through google.

But yeah, everyone I told about it thought it was quite awesome

Well, I do believe that consoles will be more and more phased out and that eventually just handhelds and PC's will be used. Think about it: the new features consoles are being lauded for are ones that have been a staple of PC's for years.
Speaking of new wave handhelds, gizmondo 2 coming soon. \
(lets all hope craigix and co dont end up like the gizmondo developers)

ljones said:
Who knows prehaps in 10 years' time there might be several open source/community based projects like this? Any thoughts?
pandora is still is a "project" since no devices are out

I believe that in next three years or less there will be at least half of dozen of new opensource gaming handhelds without ugly design of pandora.

quasist said:
ljones said:
pandora is still is a "project" since no devices are out

I believe that in next three years or less there will be at least half of dozen of new opensource gaming handhelds without ugly design of pandora.
Ugly is subjective, and no one cares about your opinion. hard facts would be better.

Back