The Pandora Port Request Thread

Adventus said:
It wouldn't be worth it, OpenMW is not really a game in its current state. Maybe in a year or two.
By which time Ogre3D should have an OpenGL ES backend or pandora will get proper OpenGL.

I haven't tried it myself, but I was told that D does compile on linux ARM nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

Does anyone think Freespace 2 would be portable to the pandora?
I tried to see if it had been asked before but I did not see it so sorry if it has been asked before...

It´s a greate space sim and I think it would be nice if it would run on pandora.

Thanx for any answere!

Endurion said:

According to the vast web, the Freespace 2 source code was released. The FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project (which is what became of the engine) compiles under Linux and uses OpenGL. If someone ports this to using OpenGL ES, and also ported any associated libraries (I assume there are, for such a large engine), then it could probably run on the Pandora. The hardware requirements for the original game don't seem particularly taxing (listed as 200 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM).

You would need to own the original game in order to have the original art and game files to play the game, I would imagine.

Yamara said:
Endurion said:

According to the vast web, the Freespace 2 source code was released. The FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project (which is what became of the engine) compiles under Linux and uses OpenGL. If someone ports this to using OpenGL ES, and also ported any associated libraries (I assume there are, for such a large engine), then it could probably run on the Pandora. The hardware requirements for the original game don't seem particularly taxing (listed as 200 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM).

You would need to own the original game in order to have the original art and game files to play the game, I would imagine.
Thank you for the info! :)
It is greate to know that it should be possible.

I knew that the source code had been released, so I was only wondering if it would be possible to make it run on the pandora.
Now I´m only hoping that someone will port it...

It is still one of the best space sims, and good space simulators are one of my favourit gametypes. Its too bad that they don´t make so many good space sims these days.

Needless fakts about me:
My first love for computers was becuse of a space game called Elite. It was becuse of a review of that game I saved money to buy my first computer (a commodore 64). Before I read that review I did not know anything about computers...
so... becuse the outside of a computer magazine looked intresting enough i decided to buy it ... not knowing what it was about.
And becuse of the article in that magazine I bought a computer from many months of saved money.
Think I was about 10 or 11 years old back then.... now I´m 34.... :p

My interest in the Pandora initially came about from the emulation end. Since then, I've been thinking about what else I could use it for and the fact that it has a keyboard is of particular interest. Hopefully, there will be an OpenOffice port at some point - while writing huge documents on the Pandora would be unlikely, having documents handy and being able to edit them or write bits and pieces on the go would be fantastic.

But I've been thinking that maybe there is much more potential. I'm a writer (of sorts) and use Final Draft for screenplay work, which is very much closed source and rather pricey. But, while searching, I found there is another screenwriting programme that is free, open source and already available on Linux called Celtx - http://www.celtx.com/

I haven't yet used it but having a Final Draft equivalent on the Pandora would be amazing.

I travel a lot and having that handy and being able to write bits and pieces on the go would just be so good. Imagine someone being able to say that they wrote their screenplay on a train on their Pandora?

BeefJerky said:
My interest in the Pandora initially came about from the emulation end. Since then, I've been thinking about what else I could use it for and the fact that it has a keyboard is of particular interest. Hopefully, there will be an OpenOffice port at some point - while writing huge documents on the Pandora would be unlikely, having documents handy and being able to edit them or write bits and pieces on the go would be fantastic.

But I've been thinking that maybe there is much more potential. I'm a writer (of sorts) and use Final Draft for screenplay work, which is very much closed source and rather pricey. But, while searching, I found there is another screenwriting programme that is free, open source and already available on Linux called Celtx - http://www.celtx.com/

I haven't yet used it but having a Final Draft equivalent on the Pandora would be amazing.

I travel a lot and having that handy and being able to write bits and pieces on the go would just be so good. Imagine someone being able to say that they wrote their screenplay on a train on their Pandora?

Looks like a greate program, I think I would like to have that ported too if possible.

surt said:
I understand the P to be little endian and 32-bit, though I'm not sure what is meant by "no strict alignment" (strict alignment only addressing in 32 bit units perhaps?) or whether the P falls into that category.
The Pandora doesn't fall under that category. ARM derived machines in the Pandora's class, while they have facilities to handle unaligned operations semi-gracefully, doesn't do so hot with 32-bit entities being read from or written to non-DWORD boundaries, whereas the x86 did handle them mostly well. It's sloppy code, mind, to do this because you take a performance hit, but if you didn't care, you didn't care. Now, as long as your data files don't have issues, you can make it work nicely by re-ordering, etc. but it takes auditing to clean up the code. If the assets have issues, you'll have to run a converter over the stuff before you can actually use the sanitized code.

wiseguy109 said:
Eduke32 with the high resolution pack would be an awesome port. Would the Pandora is powerful enough for the high resolution pack though?

According to the eduke32 website, the code is GPLed and the source is available. The high resolution pack looks pretty sweet. I should think if people can get Quake 3 or Doom 3 running, they should be able to get eduke32 running, but it might require someone familiar with optimizing, and the code would need to be converted from OpenGL to the Pandora's OpenGL ES. On a screen with such high pixel density as the Pandora, you might not gain a lot from a high resolution pack. Their site talks of screen resolutions up to 3072x2304, and the Pandora's 800x480 in comparison is quite small.

I loved Duke 3D, and this looks like a fabulous upgrade. I hope someone picks it up.

Yamara said:
wiseguy109 said:
Eduke32 with the high resolution pack would be an awesome port. Would the Pandora is powerful enough for the high resolution pack though?

According to the eduke32 website, the code is GPLed and the source is available. The high resolution pack looks pretty sweet. I should think if people can get Quake 3 or Doom 3 running, they should be able to get eduke32 running, but it might require someone familiar with optimizing, and the code would need to be converted from OpenGL to the Pandora's OpenGL ES. On a screen with such high pixel density as the Pandora, you might not gain a lot from a high resolution pack. Their site talks of screen resolutions up to 3072x2304, and the Pandora's 800x480 in comparison is quite small.

I loved Duke 3D, and this looks like a fabulous upgrade. I hope someone picks it up.

It's actually more than just higher resolution textures. Everything looks way better and the engine was converted to true 3d. Here's a video. With eduke32 you can also use updated music and sound effects.

wiseguy109 said:
Yamara said:
According to the eduke32 website, the code is GPLed and the source is available. [...] I should think if people can get Quake 3 or Doom 3 running, they should be able to get eduke32 running, but it might require someone familiar with optimizing, and the code would need to be converted from OpenGL to the Pandora's OpenGL ES. On a screen with such high pixel density as the Pandora, you might not gain a lot from a high resolution pack. Their site talks of screen resolutions up to 3072x2304, and the Pandora's 800x480 in comparison is quite small.

It's actually more than just higher resolution textures. Everything looks way better and the engine was converted to true 3d.
Right. That's why I said it might require someone familiar with optimizing, to handle the port of the updated engine. I believe notaz got Quake 2 running without much trouble, and I expect the same for the original Duke3D, but it looks like the eduke32 writers have invested some special love into it, and outside of the new textures, this will be more CPU intensive.

Although, with the shiny 256 megs of RAM, that leaves a lot more space for pretty, high res textures. :)

Crasherball said:
is anybody interested in KeePass?
and is anybody willing to port it?

its a open source password-management-tool
and it has already been portet to palmos, blackberry, and others
so it shouldnt be hard to port, right?

http://keepass.info

I'd be interested in having KeePass ported as well. I've never done any porting personally, otherwise I'd try to do it myself. I have no clue where you'd even start on something like that.

Locri Epizephyrii said:
Crasherball said:
is anybody interested in KeePass?
and is anybody willing to port it?

its a open source password-management-tool
and it has already been portet to palmos, blackberry, and others
so it shouldnt be hard to port, right?

http://keepass.info

I'd be interested in having KeePass ported as well. I've never done any porting personally, otherwise I'd try to do it myself. I have no clue where you'd even start on something like that.

I saw that URL and thought it was Keep Ass dot info. I was wondering what kind of game that would be.

Kind of reminds me of that Pen Island website.

EasyRPG is an effort to create a free implementation of the RPG Maker 2000 game interpreter. The idea is similar to the ScummVM project, but for RPG Maker games instead of adventure games.

There are a [https://easyrpg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/easyrpg]subversion repository[/url] and a bit outdated wiki.

If you like this project, we're open to any contribution.

Now, some porting test videos of the old map reader part:
GP2X test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRaEPqzMrw
DS test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxtqr6VwO6Q
PSP test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=307a8EjlT8o

We don't like to make more expectation, the project is still on a early stage of development. But maybe you like the idea.

Greets,

fdelapena said:
EasyRPG is an effort to create a free implementation of the RPG Maker 2000 game interpreter. The idea is similar to the ScummVM project, but for RPG Maker games instead of adventure games.

There are a [https://easyrpg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/easyrpg]subversion repository[/url] and a bit outdated wiki.

If you like this project, we're open to any contribution.

Now, some porting test videos of the old map reader part:
GP2X test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRaEPqzMrw
DS test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxtqr6VwO6Q
PSP test: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=307a8EjlT8o

We don't like to make more expectation, the project is still on a early stage of development. But maybe you like the idea.

Greets,

the problem is, there isn't a single RPG Maker game worth playing (and don't reference that pretentious dream one)

Just stumbled across WordWarVI and thought it would look great on the Pandora. It's a real old skool type of game like Defender, Stargate etc..

wordwarvi_snap_007_3.jpg

I couldn't find the actual specs for the game but I can't see them being that high.

p.s I was looking for the other thread about open source games to post in, but It's late and I'm tired :)

Numpty Physics is a Crayon-Physics clone, released under the GPL. It is designed for maemo, so it supports touchscreen & keyboard.

May make an interesting port!

np_title.jpg

np_l2.jpg

Ooh ooh!!! That excites me. I was hoping something like crayon-physics might be ported to pandora. Is this clone finished or WIP? Does it have lots of features or is it more limited than crayon-physics?

Back