The PawByte Codenamed "Flyght" Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been terribly busy these days. Next week is another Big Conference I'll be a part of. This one being totally dedicated to Open Source. It's called Flourish. It will be in Chicago, IL for any Americans or people interested.

You can find more information on the site. I'll be giving two talks there. I've on the Planning Committee and this is the last days before the Conference.

Hello guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Yesterday we sent out a new update via our newsletter. You can see it via here.

I welcome NEW feedback and questions.

Thanks.

We have a way to go, but si nos podemos!

I can't help but this project reminds me of the nD. You know, this handheld from the guy behind Bob's Game. Unrealstic promises and business plans. Totally doomed to enter the path of vaporware. Even the gamepad looks similar to the case design of the nD. Pretty ugly btw, but that's just my taste.

The "sketches" of your controller are inconsistant, they imply between 3 and 4 shoulder buttons on each side (2 columns from the overhead, and 2 rows from the side-on). Looking at the 3D model however shows only two. Previous design sketches mixed together?

Have you physically built a controller to your design spec? Doesn't have to be working, but to get a feel for how it holds. At the minute, it looks pretty uncomfortable. I'm also concerned that the "outer" shoulder buttons will easily be accidently pressed when trying to press the "inner" shoulder buttons. Was that a design decision to try and seperate you from a standard Xbox controller?

Is there an archive copy of the stream anywhere? As the newsletter still doesn't give much (any?) information regarding the console

Yes, it is difficult to give new feedback to no new information.

Something that many 'open' projects, including the iControlpad2, get wrong is that they mistake customer feedback for an open feedback loop.

Open+VS+Closed+Feedback+Loops.jpg

To reliably make the output (the finished console) match the input (what we, the nerdy console-buying public want), the current progress needs to be reported in detail to the group you are consulting (this forum)

So far, the public information about the pawbyte is very limited :(

@crosspoint

Can I have a clearer suggestion other than the controller is ugly?

@pmprog

Sorry for the contradictory sketches. I showed them to show how the design of the controller is progressing.

Also, we will move those shoulder buttons, so there will be no accidental presses as you mentioned.

The stream was basically a live Q and A session and our camera's quality was not really good, so we decided to delete it.

@Moxie,

After Flourish this weekend, developments should speed back up.

@Binky,

We hope to get that finished project out soon.

@everyone

The controller is NOT YET BUILT, our main focus was on the box, O.S and software.

We plan to focus on the controller soon, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why you'd want side by side shoulder buttons in a full sized controller that has plenty of room for doing it the normal way, this makes no sense to me.

Other than that the controller looks like a less ergonomic version of the original Dualshock design and its many many inspired designs that you can easily find in the third party controller market.

@theweirdn8: I simply don't like how it looks. A white case with coloured buttons doesn't really appeal to me. As Exophase mentioned it looks like a third party controller for PlayStation, but a very cheap one in my opinion. But again this is only my personal taste. Others may like it.

I also think you totally underestimate costs, efford and time you have to invest for developing your own console and making it accessible to thousands of people for a reasonable price. Something the Open Pandora Team had to brutally learn over the last four years. Where do you want to produce all the components you need? In China? Then good luck to find a trustworthy company which will deliver your parts right in time. And I assume you want to produce in low numbers, let's say not more than 3000 or 4000 units? So also good luck to find any company which will deliver components in quantities below 10.000. There are so many obstacles for such an undertaking you can't even imagine...

The controller is NOT YET BUILT, our main focus was on the box, O.S and software.

We plan to focus on the controller soon, though.
Maybe it's just me, but surely the controller should be higher on the priority list? After all, this is what the user/player has to interact with your system. I would also recommend building a controller out of wood, or even card/paper or something. Just to get the dimensions, and an idea how it feels in your hands

Hello pmprog, the controller is indeed a priority. 

There are tons of objectives and we do not have the hugest staff so we're doing our best to get milestone after milestone one day at a time.

Wow, I was wondering why crosspoint called the joypad ugly, but he is spot-on. You didn't improve it, even with the 2D drawings   :lol:

HINT: there is a reason why they're making roundish joypads, it's more comfortable to the hands.

Oh, and WASD keys on keyboards aren't action buttons, they're movement buttons  :rolleyes:

Fun fact : the main focus was on the box, OS, softwares, but the only thing shown to us is the barely 3D model of the joypad…

I like your way of making a lots of advertising everywhere for a thing that you have barely started thinking about.  ^_^

Thank you for your feedback.

The controller is indeed one of our biggest priorities, our timeline is still in pre-alpha state, so please bare with us.

Thank you for your feedback.

The controller is indeed one of our biggest priorities, our timeline is still in pre-alpha state, so please bare with us.
What will your controller offer that this one does not?

IMHO you'd be wise to try and use as many off the shelf components as possible for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back