The Power Switch

ashdjones

o_O
I was under the impression we have a hardware power switch on the Pandora. How come? I thought that Linux hated being powered off, and cutting the power would also corrupt a memory card that was being written to?

I thought it was preferred by a lot of people to have a hardware power switch, in case you run software which crashes the device, and also ensures it uses near zero power consumption whilst off.

I was under the impression that it worked more or less like a PC. Push and release requests a hibernate or nice shutdown action depending how the OS handles the request. Push and hold for 5 second for brutal power-off.

mindlord said:
I was under the impression that it worked more or less like a PC. Push and release requests a hibernate or nice shutdown action depending how the OS handles the request. Push and hold for 5 second for brutal power-off.

I thought it was a bog standard slider switch (rather than a springy one like the DS and PSP)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently it's a springy momentary switch. We discussed it recently and I had a hard time translating it to German. The function of the switch is software programmable, so it doesn't just cut off the power supply.

mali said:
Apparently it's a springy momentary switch. We discussed it recently and I had a hard time translating it to German. The function of the switch is software programmable, so it doesn't just cut off the power supply.

Well there we go. Cheers. B)

NLS said:
Also, you need a switch to turn it on :p
Thank you for stating the obvious. The Pandora will have lots of switches. Every button on the device is really a switch, as they all have at least two possible states, and since the 'Power' switch is software, the device will never really be 'off'.

However, it can be set into a mode where only that is being checked, hence there is only a minuscule drain on the battery compared to being on the desktop. And heck, on the desktop will still run around 12 hours, and this would probably last around 3-4 weeks or months until it needed to be charged again. Charging it after that long would be a good idea anyway.

For the slow people like me: what the heck is a springy momentary switch and how would you describe its travel?

PS Yet another misspelled topic title. I don't mind errors in posts, but the title? Take your time, do it right.

I much prefer a hardwired power switch. The lack of one is one of the few things that bugs me on the Dingoo.

dschroeter said:
For the slow people like me: what the heck is a springy momentary switch and how would you describe its travel?

PS Yet another misspelled topic title. I don't mind errors in posts, but the title? Take your time, do it right.
urjaman said:
When you move the switch right, it's as if you pressed the power button on your PC. When you relese the switch it will go back to middle. When you move the switch left, it will stay left (and trigger a lock button signal).
Btw, don't be a grammar Nazi :p

Thanks mali!

Sounds like a very useful switch indeed, and I like that I can't accidentally switch it off by going either direction.

Didn't mean to be rude about the spelling, it's just that I read my topic titles 10 times before I post them to be sure.

Also, I can't resist - I was being a Spelling Nazi, not a Grammar Nazi. But no Nazi is a good Nazi.

is there anyone that would actually prefer having to rip out the battery to turn off the device in the situation of a hardlock?

It happens on my N800 from time to time, but very rarely. As Pandora's battery cover has no screws anymore, it's not a big inconvenience, I think.

Would be nice if something on a lower level could read the switch, and allow for the "hold for 5 seconds to force power off" thing, in case of a lock-up. I always feel kinda weird removing batteries like that... even if it has the same effect.

i lost it is it a temporally signal switch or a hard SPTT switch?

if it is the last one then how long does the panda retain power in order to keep clock running?

Back