The Pyra case should have this colour as an option!

That work coat blue is one of the ugliest colour to me.

I would love a nice Damson, or something similar.
That would be awesome: elegant, original, discreet. And it fit the Pyra well because there is some red in it and it is retro.

Everyone should know, I meant this as a colour OPTION, not the only colour available!

If I would get to choose I would like a green one.

But as its probably going to be a more mass compatible color, I vote for a simple black tone.

But any color will be fine as long as the surface won't get some kind of glossy finish :wacko:

While I'm hoping to see a range of colour options  I'd recommend they all be relatively dark colours.    Dark grey or black,  a dark red and a dark blue.  (Personally I like blue, but the one in the OP strikes me as rather too bright.)

That said, I can see a case for a pink option too though...   When I was doing my cert III one of my instructors related a story where a retail store was shipped a load of pink phones by mistake.  They weren't terribly impressed,  but they put them on sale anyway,  then discovered that they sold like hotcakes,  and they ended up ordering more.

Personally I'm not a fan of pink,  but if producing a range of colours turns out to be in any way practical I do recommend producing at least a small quantity of pink cases to start with so as to test the market for them.

- Neelix

I prefer dark because it distracts less. When you're in a cinema, anything but the screen is dark. They don't make the walls bright glowing pink, and there's a good reason for that. For the same reason, I don't want my screen bezel to be in any color with lots of saturation and brightness.

Very dark red is OK. Dark grey is OK. Black is OK. Very dark [any other hue] is OK (but I prefer red because it fits the Pyra theme).

I would make Black as default.

As the 3D data are open everyone can print a case in the color he likes.

It wasn't that expensive to order that printed cases for the prototypes.

I also prefer black or dark colours but the drawback with dark colours especially black is that when it is into sun it becomes very hot... that's my only concern.

I would make Black as default.

As the 3D data are open everyone can print a case in the color he likes.

It wasn't that expensive to order that printed cases for the prototypes.
But printed cases are probably not accurate and strong enough for actual daily use, no?

Dark reddish (like the damson above) or a very dark blue/violet would do for me - as long as there's no danger of paint wearing off and leaving bald patches

Two suggestions:

1.  Swirly Bakelite.

170px-Bakelite_radio.jpg

2.  70's bowling ball random color swirls.

The idea isn't to spray paint a print on - but to use multi-colored plastics on the front end of the injection process and let them randomly  swirl in the mold to get a unique case every time.

Sticking with utilitarian design. White or black to offset  the keys makes sense if you want the most contrast.

If the keys can be done in a dual-colour layout, (as is common on expensive keyboards) the base colour could be gray.

A military gray/hellgrau is what im thinking might look good while sticking with above goal.

2. 70's bowling ball random color swirls.
I've seen recycled plastics that shredded the old coloured plastics then melted them together and swirled them a bit. More multicoloured than I've ever seen a bowling ball, but kind of the same idea anyway.
Do you have any pictures of this?  I've always thought it would be very cool/different looking.

I'd like white, but color matching with the keyboard will be a pain. Brushed metal insides would solve that issue, but it would instead mess up the outer edges. That being said, we could use some vinyl film to create arbitrary textures and apply them with heat (there are companies which does this). This way scratches are easy to fix (just replace the film with a hairdryer) and we could have "wooden", "rock" or even "apple" (as in the fruit, red ones look a bit like fire) Pyras. Gray would work well both underneath the vinyl and as a color on it's own.

Coming back down to earth, the good old 1980's computer beige (think of Compaq) would probably look pretty good and fits well with the whole emulation concept.

Back