The Top 10 Things To Do When Reflashing

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Today on Pandoralive:

http://www.pandoralive.info/?p=665

reflash.png

I find shortening the task bar so it doesn't fill the whole screen as well as putting auto hide on.

Then whenever you need the menu just press the pandora button. 

"When" or "After"?

One of the top 10 things to do "when" reflashing ... would be read an article about what to do "after" reflashing, on the PandoraLive blog :)

Interesting article, but kind of too personalised for me. I don't do any of those, but I have my own little "script" I work through, which sets up Pandora key to the menu, removing the original script, allowing case-insensitivity in the terminal, configuring Samba etc.

I find shortening the task bar so it doesn't fill the whole screen as well as putting auto hide on.

Then whenever you need the menu just press the pandora button. 
if you put autohide on then pressing the pandora button does not work when the bar is hidden

Interesting article, but kind of too personalised for me. I don't do any of those, but I have my own little "script" I work through, which sets up Pandora key to the menu, removing the original script, allowing case-insensitivity in the terminal, configuring Samba etc.
Please share in the comments :)

I guess the setting could easily be restored after reflashing whenyou make a copy of your homefolder before and copy it back after the full flash.

Nice. A good checklist.

Can you still drag and drop icons with the new firmware?

I think I'm still on 1.52 - do I need to reflash twice, do I need the codecs pack again...I should get up to the latest, but I could use a step-by-step so I don't screw it up.

Nice. A good checklist.

Can you still drag and drop icons with the new firmware?

I think I'm still on 1.52 - do I need to reflash twice, do I need the codecs pack again...I should get up to the latest, but I could use a step-by-step so I don't screw it up.
no, just get the 1.54 and reflash with that one, once only. then follow my step by steps instructions :)

So I can go straight to 1.54 from 1.52?

And I will not need to re-install the codecs pack after re-flashing?

And the desktop icons can still be dragged and dropped? Because that, to me, was a big plus with 1.52 versus 1.51

So I can go straight to 1.54 from 1.52?

And I will not need to re-install the codecs pack after re-flashing?

And the desktop icons can still be dragged and dropped? Because that, to me, was a big plus with 1.52 versus 1.51
Yes do a full reflash and you still need to install codecs, also you still can drag and drop icons.  :)   Bud

When you reflash the unit  everything previously stored on NAND is erased.  This means any PND that works by installing something to NAND will need to be re-run if you wish to continue using them.   This does include the codec PND, the Java PND, the timidity installer PND and the mount menu installer PND. 

- Neelix  

Nope. The codec pack contains audio and video codecs. The other stuff (timidity, Java, and so on) has their own installer pnds.

And if you never installed them in the first place?

I can't honestly recall ever installing any of those...how can I find them to be sure?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but re-flashing always scares the hell out of me. I'm always afraid I'll totally screw something up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you never installed them in the first place, you need not worry about them.

The thing is like this: Certain applications needs these special things - Video codecs, a Java runtime, Timidity bindings - and if you try to run them without those things in place, they won't run (or run badly). The installers copies the relevant things to the NAND (yes, these are things that need to have something in the NAND), where the applications will find them, later. 

When you make a full reflash, the whole of the NAND gets returned to its original state. Which means no {Java, Timidity, codecs}. If you usually run something that needs Java, for instance, it will just no longer start. But there is no other problems - Nothing of the usual pandora functionality breaks, nothing gets damaged, and the only thing you need to do to get everything working again is slap your forehead, groan "Darn, I forgot to reinstall JAVA", and do it. There is nothing much to screw up.

OK. But can I tell if I ever did install them and just don't remember doing it?

Where would I look in the File Manager to find this?
simpler solution. try to run a java application. (java)

try to open a media file from the file explorer. (codecs)

see if you have music in duke nukem (midi)

Anyway there is no harm in installing of them after the reflash. It wont brick your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back