"the Wii Is A Piece Of Sh*t"

SiDCrAzY

GP2X User
Website
Visit site
Link: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/771/771051p1.html

US, March 7, 2007 - During a session at GDC this morning entitled "Burning Mad - Game Publishers Rant," time was taken about half way through to allow developers a chance to spew their own rants. One speaker, Chris Hecker, currently working on Spore at Maxis, took the opportunity to call out Nintendo for not taking games seriously.

"The Wii is a piece of s***!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet." He blasted a few bars of Public Enemy to set the tone. Hecker said the Wii is nothing more than two GameCubes stuck together with duct tape, and that the console isn't powerful enough to provide the next-gen experience he has been waiting for.

Although he stated the system is "severely underpowered," Hecker noted that he wasn't simply referring to the Wii's graphical capabilities. He wants to spend a console's CPU making games more intelligent, and he has found the Wii doesn't have the power to process things like complicated AI.

Hecker also took Nintendo to task for not taking games seriously enough. "It's not clear to me that Nintendo gives a s*** about games as an art form," he said. To illustrate his point, he searched for references to games as art on all three console manufacturers web sites. While he found numerous such references on both the official PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sites, Wii.com had none at all. He then shared quotes from executives at Sony and Microsoft talking about games as a serious artistic medium, and then a quote from a Nintendo executive saying the company only wanted to make "fun" games.

Hecker ended his spirited rant with two demands for Nintendo: First, recognize and push games as serious art. And two, "make a console that doesn't suck ass."

Oh boy Mr. Hecker, you sure know how to express yourself in an intelligent manner...... :rolleyes:

i didnt read the article, but i completely agree with the title, the wii sucks.... i dont know how all of you can stand swining your arms around to play a game..... i say that, cause i was playing wii sports with my friend (along with Zelda nad Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and i just had so many annoyances with the wiimote! like it wouldnt pick up my movements, or it would read the wrong motion (like in bowling, and boxing) and pulling off combos in UA was just frustrating! its a cool gimmick i will say, but thats it, its innovative yes, but id pick an old controller than a wiimote any day. its just not a pleasing gaming console for me since its not really capeable of playing a true next gen game (such as oblivion, GoW, Lost Planet etc) i played zelda and found the controls semi good but it was just to annoying tbh (but i did enjoy Zelda quite a bit) but at the end of the day its just jazzed up gamecube with a fancy remote.....

/rant

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there's a certain way to go about it I believe, which clearly Chris Hecker doesn't know about.

Not a big fan of the Wii myself, but for someone in Mr. Hecker's position to express themselves in the same manner a 12 year old Sony/MS fanboy would is unacceptable IMO.

He should know better.

Just because Nintendo doesn't mouth about like pretentious twats, doesn't mean they don't treat gaming as a serious art form. That also doesn't mean games can't be fun either.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:23 PM said:
Good, I agree. It is a piece of shit.
Don't buy one then :p

Im enjoying mine lots so much im on the verge of cancelling my ps3 pre orders as im just having so much fun with it at the moment.

My only annoyance is the graphics aren't that great as i sit 6 foot away from 1080p 46 inch LCD although Zelda doesn't look bad at all...

The downside is people keep wanting to come round to have a go.. although that does involve me getting free beers :p Everyone whose had a go thinks it ace fun
HAd a works dinner the other night, and amazed the amount of people who wanted to get one, one of the guys mentioned the PS3 was out this month, that killed the conversation on gaming lol

Multiplayer wii is the best fun you can have sober that doesn't involve getting laid or wasted!

Can easily see the graphics and control not appealing to the hardcore gamers but hey you got the xbox 360 or ps3 for that along with your virtual friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been saying it all along. This thing is gay all of the way from the name, to the arm flailing, to the weak hardware. The thing isn't even high-def :rolleyes: Old NTSC resolution is so last-gen. I saw a few games on it and it was hard to tell the difference between the Wii and a mediocre PS2 game. I can't see them going 5 more years with this thing after the gimmick wears off.

DaveC posted on Mar 8 2007 at 07:01 PM said:
I have been saying it all along. This thing is gay all of the way from the name, to the arm flailing, to the weak hardware. The thing isn't even high-def :rolleyes: Old NTSC resolution is so last-gen. I saw a few games on it and it was hard to tell the difference between the Wii and a mediocre PS2 game. I can't see them going 5 more years with this thing after the gimmick wears off.
Have you not been listening? Graphics are not the most important thing in the world. Most people agree with me; hence the DS and Wii phenomenom.

If you can't see past crisp HD graphics, then I feel for you because you are missing out on some great multiplayer gaming. Get some friends over, get some beers in, put WiiSports on and enjoy. It certainly beats looking at Gears of War all day.

And I like Gears of War!

I played through the first couple hours of Twilight Princess on a 720p television. It looked fine, even though it was scaled (THE HORROR!)

Granted, I haven't tried it on a 1080i/p, but most xbox360 games don't support that resolution, so heh... B)

I personally find the controllers to be a positive step. I'm sure that there will also be games that utilize the classic controller so if you don't want to use the motion sensitive controller you don't have to. Whatever, I'm done, I'm probably not going to own any of the three consoles this-gen for a year or two anyway. Dreamcast forever :D

declaration posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:17 PM said:
Have you not been listening? Graphics are not the most important thing in the world. Most people agree with me; hence the DS and Wii phenomenom.

If you can't see past crisp HD graphics, then I feel for you because you are missing out on some great multiplayer gaming. Get some friends over, get some beers in, put WiiSports on and enjoy. It certainly beats looking at Gears of War all day.

And I like Gears of War!
You're screaming at a wall. You've forgotten that DaveC is always right and knows everything, and to argue with him is to argue with the infallible word of God. You're just going to have to face the fact that the Wii sucks because he said so.

You're screaming at a wall. You've forgotten that DaveC is always right and knows everything, and to argue with him is to argue with the infallible word of God. You're just going to have to face the fact that the Wii sucks because he said so.
[/quote]

That....was a joke, right? Just making sure.

declaration posted on Mar 8 2007 at 07:17 PM said:
You made an assumption which doomed your argument in the second sentence.

Orkie posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:58 PM said:
declaration posted on Mar 8 2007 at 07:17 PM said:
You made an assumption which doomed your argument in the second sentence.

He doesn't drink beer? ;)

:p

declaration posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:17 PM said:

And I like Gears of War!

i agree but disagree, yes graphics dont make a game, but the DS and Wii are not good consoles!!! the ds i will say is fine, but the wii is pure shit imo... its not a next gen console, thew 360 and ps3 are, idc how fun flinging a little remote around is, but all i know is you can have fun with your hours of warioware and wii sports while i play Dead Rising, Lost Planet and Oblivion... imo the Wii is a gimmick and i agree 100% with what DaveC said, its purely a gimmick, imo i thought a new generation was supposed to bring new technology to the plate? not old soggy out of date technology (with a jazzed up remote)... and whats even funnier, is that 70% of Wii owners hated the gamecube, i say thats funny cause when you add a remote to the mix, they all love it! ha reasons like this are why i really cant stand nintendo

I mean look at the PS3, that IS a true next gen console, but OMFGWTFBBQ a 600 dollar price tag... just because of that no one wants it (lol) imo the ps3 is probably the greatest gaming console yet in terms of just about everything, as soon as sony gets their act together and puts out some good games, it will really show....

Also the 360 is a great console and a great example of a next gen console to, great games, great console/power, great online functions (XBA pwnz), i mean everything, and its not as good as the ps3 in terms of power, but it is brining new technology to the plate....

But the Wii to me is nothing new, it really belongs in the previous generation, cause its is just a gamecube, and theres alot of new technology for nintendo (since its their first venture to alot of things) and thats what the previous generation did, and in thsi one they are perfecting/improving (like online play) all the wii has is a remote, and thats it, and its bad at that, my experience with the wii were not good, it wasnt picking up my movements, and i didnt enjoy the dumbed down games for it (which alot will be like) im pesonally surprised on how good zelda was, but everything else will be a dumbed down version of a game unlike the actual game for the 360 or PS3

i still dont get why you guys hate the PS3 cause its a damned good console...the wii is a gimmick...i can tell most people will get bored with it quickly (hence in a year or so, mabey sooner)

/More ranting!

also you spelt phenomenon wrong

Goemon4 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 08:44 PM said:
you can have fun with your hours of warioware and wii sports while i play Dead Rising, Lost Planet and Oblivion...
Is it just me or does that make no sense whatsoever? :D On the one hand you're telling us how bad the Wii is and on the other, you accept that people can have hours of fun, just as you can playing on another machine.

tbh Goemon4, the Wii has revolutionised gaming for me than the 360 did. It has changed the way I play games. It has gotten ALL of my housemates involved in gaming which is pretty remarkable. It isn't just better graphics.

Yes there are mini-games at the moment. However, Sonic has gotten good reviews and I loved the first DC Sonic game in the main so can't wait! Also, Paper Mario looks good. Not to mention Metroid etc. There will be plenty of third party titles; it will just take time. The DS had a dry patch at the beginning whilst the third party got on board. One thing is for sure: the third party companies are not going to stay away from a console with such a large worldwide userbase.

If graphics are not everything to you, the Wii is a great console. Combine it with a 360/PS3 for a dream combo.

Goemon4 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 05:30 PM said:
i didnt read the article, but i completely agree with the title, the wii sucks.... i dont know how all of you can stand swining your arms around to play a game..... i say that, cause i was playing wii sports with my friend (along with Zelda nad Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and i just had so many annoyances with the wiimote! like it wouldnt pick up my movements, or it would read the wrong motion (like in bowling, and boxing) and pulling off combos in UA was just frustrating!

...seriously? I mean, flick your wrist left or right for a sweep, flick it up for a popup.... this is a lot easier and quicker than on the PC (I own both versions). Also the special moves are easier to use. I really think the motion sensing was done well there, even if it is "tacked on".
As for not picking up movements or picking up the wrong ones, I can not recall too many instances that happened to me. I have problems pulling off the Red Steel sword katas and... that's it. However my fiancee does them flawlessly so I suppose it's just my inability. Wii sports always did what I tried to do, but I admit that boxing took some getting used to (I kept holding the controllers wrong).

Goemon4 posted on Mar 8 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
i agree but disagree, yes graphics dont make a game, but the DS and Wii are not good consoles!!! the ds i will say is fine, but the wii is pure shit imo... its not a next gen console, thew 360 and ps3 are, idc how fun flinging a little remote around is, but all i know is you can have fun with your hours of warioware and wii sports while i play Dead Rising, Lost Planet and Oblivion... imo the Wii is a gimmick and i agree 100% with what DaveC said, its purely a gimmick, imo i thought a new generation was supposed to bring new technology to the plate? not old soggy out of date technology (with a jazzed up remote)... and whats even funnier, is that 70% of Wii owners hated the gamecube, i say thats funny cause when you add a remote to the mix, they all love it! ha reasons like this are why i really cant stand nintendo

"I don't care if it's fun, it's not next gen and therefore rubbish"?

I mean look at the PS3, that IS a true next gen console, but OMFGWTFBBQ a 600 dollar price tag... just because of that no one wants it (lol) imo the ps3 is probably the greatest gaming console yet in terms of just about everything, as soon as sony gets their act together and puts out some good games, it will really show....

"As soon as it becomes good it will be good"?

Also the 360 is a great console and a great example of a next gen console to, great games, great console/power, great online functions (XBA pwnz), i mean everything, and its not as good as the ps3 in terms of power, but it is brining new technology to the plate....

"Better graphics are new technology as long as it is not Nintendo improving them. Also, the implementation of motion sensing is not new technology, not matter how advanced it is compared to previous installments"?

But the Wii to me is nothing new, it really belongs in the previous generation, cause its is just a gamecube, and theres alot of new technology for nintendo (since its their first venture to alot of things) and thats what the previous generation did, and in thsi one they are perfecting/improving (like online play) all the wii has is a remote, and thats it, and its bad at that, my experience with the wii were not good, it wasnt picking up my movements, and i didnt enjoy the dumbed down games for it (which alot will be like) im pesonally surprised on how good zelda was, but everything else will be a dumbed down version of a game unlike the actual game for the 360 or PS3

"Nintendo...."
Sorry, I did not manage to understand that one.

also you spelt phenomenon wrong

Don't take this the wrong way, but do not EVER try correct someone's spelling if you keep posting the way you do right now.

Now I'm not trying to tell you what you can like and I'm not going to be told what I can like by you. I just can not follow your logic at all. You, and this might sound nasty though it's not meant to be, sound exactly like our neighbour's son. He's fourteen and needs to constantly address the problem that I do not play "realistic" war simulations. However he did not want to try Trauma Center because he could not see blood.

As for the actual topic (Ahem) I can't comment on that because I don't know about the inner workings of the Wii. I like the new way to control games but I don't have to program them. It says alot about thi sperson if he actually put his point the way it is reported though.

The guy who commented is not the owner of maxis but just some dev with a very limted experience in the gaming industry... hes basically a hot headed little nobody... or for better a nob jockey!

why his comment was picked up i have no idea.. but something tells me someones going to be in for a bit of dressing down considering EA have invested quite a bit in nintendo this time around..

actually checked out his web page http://www.d6.com/users/checker/#toc for someone who harks on about graphics and visual design ... his web page is a lets just say little bit basic to say the least :D

Back