The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Exophase said:
waffles said:
Personally i dont see how one can claim the wiz is cheap, there is only a 50$ difference between it and the pandora.
$330 - $180 = $150

Darn, i knew i shouldn't have slept through math class.
that makes the decision a lot harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
nubie said:
earx said:
fantastic! i'm excited now. ideal for oldschool gaming, extremely portable, even some 3D capabilities, and relatively cheap. this thing will *rock*!

the EXT port still has me puzzled. it's great that it's a samsung external port, but.. what can it do except for USB? will TV/VGA-out still be an option?
Sadly this info is unavailable. I wish GPH would just be up front about the capabilities of the device.

You are trying to make out GPH are bad again. They are not refusing to be upfront and talking without actually answering questions as Craig seems to do sometimes ;). They are just not talking at all so you can complain about that but they are listening as they have proved. However, they are a company and will do what is best for them. There IS cost effectiveness to consider here.

I am not saying it is good or bad, I just want them to say something.

I don't think I follow your argument about GPH vs. Craig, we basically know all about the chips in the Pandora and even have high-res pictures of the beta PCB that they sent out and are showing around.

What chips are in the Wiz? Don't know. What functions will it support? Don't know. Will TV out cable be included? Don't know. Is there even TV out? Don't know.

What wifi chip is in the Pandora? We do know (at least I think they said, could be wrong).

All dongles are included, TV out is working I think.

Craig is not accepting money, GPH is accepting money. We know more about the Pandora than we do a console we have to put money down for.

I do realize that the GP2X was a bit shy on specs/chip knowledge when it was released, but the Pandora has set a new standard (and in a way the GP2X did once the chips were known and supported.)

You personally decide if this is good or bad. Or wait for the info and then purchase one. I can't tell you what to do or think.

nubie said:
DaveC said:
It is great that they fixed that goofy control scheme. Now if only they put in a decent sized screen that lasts they would have a winner.
Meh, I am nuts enough to connect it to a 5"-7" portable screen with S-video and build it into a system :), assuming the OLED dies. (noticeable color shift is probably accounted for on first usage by the OLED designers, likely it will be fine over a period when it is meant to last. At a bit under $200 it is debatable whether it matters as long as it is better than a PSP for example, which shouldn't be too hard to do.)

That would be Ok except S-video or worse, craposite, would be a blurry mess.

If you could get VGA (doubtful) or SCART out of it then it could be possible and look decent.

I could be wrong but I think the screen would have to be OLED to do a direct replacement (timing, power issues). They DO make 3.5" OLED screens but I am not sure if you could interface those directly. I don't know if they are pin compatible with the 2.8" one. If they were I would extract that post stamp size micro screen that GPH put in like a rotten tooth. I would hack in a bigger screen, as well as buy a gross of replacements so I could change the burnt-in ones like disposable batteries.

Then I would re-work the case and get rid of the "goat anus" speaker grilles :p

Then the wiz would then be perfect.

When convincing GPH into delaying the Wiz for those hardware changes, I wonder whether ED had to promise them not to release the Pandora any earlier. The Wiz coming in October was another major aspect in my consideration of buying it on top of the Pandora.

DaveC said:

If you could get VGA (doubtful) or SCART out of it then it could be possible and look decent.
Wasn't VGA out already announced for the Wiz? Was it announced for the Pandora?
And is it true that 2D games look terribly blurry on flat TVs when connected via S-video??

PandraNoHako said:
When convincing GPH into delaying the Wiz for those hardware changes, I wonder whether ED had to promise them not to release the Pandora any earlier. The Wiz coming in October was another major aspect in my consideration of buying it on top of the Pandora.
EvilDragon alone has no such controlling say over when the Pandora is released, and I doubt that the others would go for such a deal. Pandora is currently slated for mid-November.

Exophase said:
EvilDragon alone has no such controlling say over when the Pandora is released, and I doubt that the others would go for such a deal. Pandora is currently slated for mid-November.
Okay okay, I wasn't all too serious about this. Anyway, I dislike the thought of seeing both systems released around the same week. Like the Wiz getting proper buttons, the differences are becoming smaller and so does the number reasons to buy both of them. Will this encourage or discourage competition between the systems? A bit of rivalry might be unavoidable but I don't want to see a fight between brothers about who gets to be the 'real' successor to the throne.

DaveC said:
nubie said:
DaveC said:
It is great that they fixed that goofy control scheme. Now if only they put in a decent sized screen that lasts they would have a winner.
Meh, I am nuts enough to connect it to a 5"-7" portable screen with S-video and build it into a system :), assuming the OLED dies. (noticeable color shift is probably accounted for on first usage by the OLED designers, likely it will be fine over a period when it is meant to last. At a bit under $200 it is debatable whether it matters as long as it is better than a PSP for example, which shouldn't be too hard to do.)

I could be wrong but I think the screen would have to be OLED to do a direct replacement (timing, power issues). They DO make 3.5" OLED screens but I am not sure if you could interface those directly. I don't know if they are pin compatible with the 2.8" one. If they were I would extract that post stamp size micro screen that GPH put in like a rotten tooth. I would hack in a bigger screen, as well as buy a gross of replacements so I could change the burnt-in ones like disposable batteries.

Then I would re-work the case and get rid of the "goat anus" speaker grilles :p

Then the wiz would then be perfect.

If the OLED goes out I can buy it for $50 on ebay and use any old screen. Lousy looking? sure. But for $50 I won't care. (see my sig for a really horrible handheld screen using 2 LEDs from a Dollar Tree flashlight as a backlight :), not to mention the horror of hooking 4 NiMH direct to the 9v LCD power supply that makes the differential for the crystal signal, contrast is a bit poor to say the least :) )

For the record I don't think OLED is a problem, and if the GameBoy Micro sells (in a limited fashion), I can see where this device will sell (and face it, the GP2X sold in a limited fashion)

I figure maybe a dremel, a file or some sandpaper will take care of the grilles. (I don't watch a lot of recent alien movies, maybe it is more related to some alien worms growing from the console). I just don't know what else to say about those speaker grilles.

If the volume buttons aren't software mappable then how is there going to be enough buttons for even games that don't use analog on the Playstation? There are 4 shoulder buttons on a Ps controller, only 2 on a Wiz. How did the Psp and Gp2x handle emulating a Ps with still having a lack of buttons? The major selling point for me would to have a really good Ps emulator on such a small device (I honestly can't think of anything else useful it would do that the Gp2x can't) but I don't see how it would work with only this many buttons.

Chip said:
nubie said:
Will TV out cable be included? Don't know. Is there even TV out?
The Wiz does not have TV-out.

Really? Ouch.

No potential for it from the EXT port?

Btw, lack of buttons and an analog stick isn't a deal-breaker. Most games don't have a legit need of analog anyway, and few games really need more than 6 buttons.

Good to hear about the changes.

The D-pad-shaped buttons did look nice in a kind of odd, yet symmetrical aesthetic, but having traditional buttons is much better for practical use. Well having traditional buttons shouldn't really limit the designing of unique games based on two D-pads.

Hope it turns out well and to eventually buy one. :D

Exophase said:
chad78 said:
There is exactly one PS1 game that requires analog. I've never owned a dualshock and have played several PS1 games fine w/o it, both on the real thing and on emulators.
Ape Escape. :)

I liked playing this game.

Exophase said:
chad78 said:
, no Saturn
It's probably not powerful enough to emulate Saturn either, but yet again Saturn's main pad had no analog and I know of exactly one game that requires it.
Nights into Dreams? :huh:

Never played it though. Was it not optional?

Lack of analog controls is hardly an issue, and besides, there is also the touchscreen and mic, which opens up more possible input options.

I was going to say RC Stunt Copter :)

Sphinxter: Are you trying to incite DaveC's wrath?? 480x272 is terrible for emulation ;)

So, any ideas what form the 4 button layout will take?

I would imagine a divided dpad shape, as it already is with independent buttons? They probably wouldnt have to change the moulding detail much to get that to work.

The only other nagging doubt I have with this device is drivers, will all the features of the chip-set be properly implemented in firmware and available to devs. I ask this as the not-too-happy owner of a HTC TYTNII.

Chip said:
nubie said:
Will TV out cable be included? Don't know. Is there even TV out?
The Wiz does not have TV-out.

Well, I won't complain (kinda expected it the way MagicEyes said it "supported" TV out, instead of listing the supported output formats) I don't know how much usage I would have got out of it anyway. I guess USB Host can take a while, it was only for addons anyway, and we have plenty of storage (no need for external controllers without TV out.)

Interesting, I will be following the release with interest, should be a lot of software moving around :)

Up side to no additional chips and Li-Ion should be increased battery life :D.

Exophase said:
Yeah, what good is a 533MHz CPU and 3D accelerator without an analog stick?

None. It doesn't have a keyboard or wifi either, so what are you going to do with that power? Super Anime 2D fighters Extreme? Because that's what they are advertising it with.
It'd probably have a hard time doing N64 w/o an FPU anyway. Be that as it may, I've emulated several of the relatively few popular N64 games (Mario 64, Zelda OoT, F-Zero X) without an analog stick quite successfully.

Good for you. But having played Super Mario 64DS (which you bring up later on in your rant) I can tell you that the lack of an analog stick really - REALLY sucks.... Even with a touch screen. Does it make it "unplayable"? No - but it makes it a lot less fun.
It's not even close to powerful enough to emulate PSP.

Even if it were - it can't because there's no analog.
Were you unaware that it has a touchscreen?

No I was not unaware it had a touchscreen - do you play Duck Hunt 1 foot in front of the screen? Because that's what a touch screen based FPS would be like - tap the bad guy to kill him. Fun stuff, that.
Non-gaming possibilities - too low resolution to use for most things internet related, much less web browsing.

That's hilarious. Have you ever heard of a little thing called an iPhone? The screen is the same width, twice the height - and people seem to like doing "internet related" things on it - the DS has a web browser with a small screen - most cell phone's screens are smaller than the Wiz, but people still get data plans for them for some odd reason. Heck - one of things they advertise the Wiz as is a media player - and there is a lot of media on the Web (Internet Radio, YouTube, podcasts, Miro). Once again - tons of stuff they could use that powerful CPU on - but can't because of the lack of a feature. You don't have to have a huge screen to read an email, or an RSS feed...
Gaming possibilities - too few people are going to own them for you to go wifi gaming with.

Who said they have to be playing against other Wiz owners? There are plenty of browser-based games, cross-platform MMOs, and... (if it had an analog stick)... FPS that run on Linux just fine.
Why do you determine what's "required"? GP2X was $180. This is $180. This is much better than GP2X. GP2X sold fine, and a lot of people were bummed that it was discontinued and a lot of people also said they wanted a smaller, somewhat more powerful version with some other fixes - enter Wiz.

Ever since I started earning my own money, when I was 14, I have been the one that determines what is required for other people to get my money from me. I haven't bought a GP2X, and never will - not at full price. I thought about it long ago when it first came out - when it was cheaper than the PSP (because the PSP cost a lot more than it does now) - and before the homebrew scene got started on the PSP or the DS. Back when portable emulation was unique to the GP** world. But thanks to flashcarts and Pandora batteries - just being able to play SNES on the go is not worth $200.

Hey, if people want to pay $200 for a system that won't do much more than a modded PSP, but lacks features the PSP has (Wifi, analog stick, commerical games, full PS1 emulation...) That's their business. Yes, I know it's "more powerful" - but having a powerful CPU doesn't mean anything if you can't use the power because of a lack of controls, a lack of inputs, a lack of features. But for me, personally, to pay $200 to have a pocketable device - it's going to do more than emulate 15 year old game systems. I could spend $180 on an N800 and get everything the Wiz has, and more - just without the game controls. (bigger screen, Wifi, bluetooth, FM, camera, more apps...) And it can emulate plenty of systems, and runs native games as well. And with a USB host, (which it has) you can plug any controller you want into it - it even works with a Wii Remote via BlueTooth.
Here's hoping you don't get one ;P

Here's hoping you grow up sometime this century :rolleyes:
Mine trumps yours by about 1000 times.

Yeah because if it just had the internal hardware to run it - that would somehow make it possible to play games that require more inputs than it has. I mean, if my Game Boy had a more powerful CPU - I'm sure I could play DS games on it.
If I see you do it again I'm going to tear you apart.

I'm scared. Really.

How's that full-speed DS emulator coming along, BTW?

Chad has basically never grasped what the hub of this homebrew community wants and expects - The emulation of older game systems.

The lack of wi-fi, bluetooth and analogue controls will certainly be no deal breakers for the majority of potential customers (just look at the success of gp2x) These devices are made for playing retro games, either homebrew or emulated - NOT for PC applications such as web browsing or word processing.

You never took the plunge and bought a GP32 or GP2x and am pretty sure that the trend will continue with The Wiz, so why bother commenting considering you have a complete lack of understanding towards it's core market.

chad78 said:
Blah blah blah whine whine whine......
Here's a thought, since it's not what you want how about you stop moaning about it.

chad78 said:
None. It doesn't have a keyboard or wifi either, so what are you going to do with that power? Super Anime 2D fighters Extreme? Because that's what they are advertising it with.
Right, so basically you're saying that the only 3D games worth playing require analog, and even though a LOT of things currently being emulated on GP2X aren't being emulated well enough (MAME platforms, GBA, SNES, PS1), not to mention other platforms (32X, 3DO, Jaguar) that omg had 3D but no analog stick

chad78 said:
Good for you. But having played Super Mario 64DS (which you bring up later on in your rant) I can tell you that the lack of an analog stick really - REALLY sucks.... Even with a touch screen. Does it make it "unplayable"? No - but it makes it a lot less fun.
That's your opinion. Not everyone shares it.

chad78 said:
Even if it were - it can't because there's no analog.
Your argument is completely vapid. I mean the "it should have an analog stick so it can continue to not be able to emulate various platforms" one. Just drop it.

chad78 said:
No I was not unaware it had a touchscreen - do you play Duck Hunt 1 foot in front of the screen? Because that's what a touch screen based FPS would be like - tap the bad guy to kill him. Fun stuff, that.
That's a ridiculous comparison. You don't aim an analog stick or a mouse as if it were a gun (mice having always been the preferred input choice for these games, and touchscreens being closer to mice than analog sticks are). At any rate, people seem to enjoy FPSes on the DS well enough, although I'm sure I'll hear how you don't blah blah blah etc.

chad78 said:
That's hilarious. Have you ever heard of a little thing called an iPhone? The screen is the same width, twice the height - and people seem to like doing "internet related" things on it
Don't even try to tell me that 320x240 is the same as 320x480 for web browsing purposes.

chad78 said:
- the DS has a web browser with a small screen
The 2x screens = much more vertical resolution as well...

chad78 said:
- most cell phone's screens are smaller than the Wiz, but people still get data plans for them for some odd reason. Heck - one of things they advertise the Wiz as is a media player - and there is a lot of media on the Web (Internet Radio, YouTube, podcasts, Miro). Once again - tons of stuff they could use that powerful CPU on - but can't because of the lack of a feature. You don't have to have a huge screen to read an email, or an RSS feed...
Granted, you can do those things, but it doesn't exactly seem like a selling point to me. At any rate, there's no rule that a machine has to do everything and nailing them to the cross because they're not uber-purpose is silly. Fine, you don't want one. But it's like you don't even understand why anyone else would and you act like it's totally useless.

chad78 said:
Who said they have to be playing against other Wiz owners? There are plenty of browser-based games, cross-platform MMOs, and... (if it had an analog stick)... FPS that run on Linux just fine.
Do you really think Wiz has the specs to keep up with most PC based games?

chad78 said:
blah blah blah I determine how to spend my money blah blah blah
Look, if you're going to talk about what YOU want to spend your money on then stop using vocabulary such as what's "required" of a system, I shouldn't have to explain the difference to you.

chad78 said:
Hey, if people want to pay $200 for a system that won't do much more than a modded PSP, but lacks features the PSP has (Wifi, analog stick, commerical games, full PS1 emulation...) That's their business.
Great, so now according to you Wiz can't even do PS1 emulation. Seriously, who do you think you are?

chad78 said:
blah blah blah may as well get an N800...
They're NOT THE SAME. I have no idea how anyone thinks they're making a valid argument with USB controllers, as if somehow that maintains the same portability. For crying out loud.

chad78 said:
Here's hoping you grow up sometime this century :rolleyes:
Yeah, right, I'LL do that...

I for one think the up and coming Wiz community would be well off without you constantly complaining about it because it doesn't meet your "requirements", although I have a feeling you'll be doing that regardless of whether or not you get one.

chad78 said:
Yeah because if it just had the internal hardware to run it - that would somehow make it possible to play games that require more inputs than it has. I mean, if my Game Boy had a more powerful CPU - I'm sure I could play DS games on it.
In a word, yes. I've played Dreamcast games w/o analog too, and a lot of them don't even benefit from having much or at all from having it. That's a lot different from playing a game at 25% speed.

chad78 said:
How's that full-speed DS emulator coming along, BTW?
Ask me again when I have a Pandora, smartass.

Back